Launch Member

Traveler III

Dacono, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Dean
Member #

I live about 20 miles north of Denver in Dacono and am a novice at overlanding since I’ve never been on an overland adventure. I do love to explore and hike because I’m a newer landscape photographer. I bought my 4Runner so I’d be safe and secure off road and be able to expand adventures with others.
My rig:
2007 4Runner Limited v6
2” lift Bilstein 5100s
New CV axles
New lower control arms
Powerstop front brakes
Nitto Grapplers on stock 18”
More mods to come in the future as needed

Attachments

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

I live about 20 miles north of Denver in Dacono and am a novice at overlanding since I’ve never been on an overland adventure. I do love to explore and hike because I’m a newer landscape photographer. I bought my 4Runner so I’d be safe and secure off road and be able to expand adventures with others.
My rig:
2007 4Runner Limited v6
2” lift Bilstein 5100s
New CV axles
New lower control arms
Powerstop front brakes
[/QUOTE
Hello Jason and welcome to the OB crew....nice Toy. Look forward to seeing your build and your adventures.

Reactions: Zappe

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

My rig:
2007 4Runner Limited v6
2” lift Bilstein 5100s
New CV axles
New lower control arms
Powerstop front brakes
@NoCo4Rnr

Welcome from another Colorado 4th gen 4Runner owner.

Be sure to check out the upcoming events and meetups Events Archive - Overland Bound posted by @Neal A. Tew and others.

Boort

Zappe

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Dacono, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Dean
Member #

Welcome, I'm just a little south of Denver, welcome to OB. Hope you can join us in June. Rally point is set-up already. We will be camping and exploring the surrounding area.
Thanks. Funny thing is I’m all about it but will have to get setup for camping because I don’t have the tent/gear yet.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Thanks. Funny thing is I’m all about it but will have to get setup for camping because I don’t have the tent/gear yet.
I generally don't use a tent for Overland travel, I set-up my rig to sleep in the back of it. Might be something to consider? We only use a tent when we are staying put for several days.

Zappe

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Dacono, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Dean
Member #

I generally don't use a tent for Overland travel, I set-up my rig to sleep in the back of it. Might be something to consider? We only use a tent when we are staying put for several days.
Good idea, I’ve seen people do that in their 4Runners.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I really got the idea after my first experience with setting up camp alone the Rim Rocker trail. I kind of took for ever it seems like breaking down our tent while the other two guys had just tossed everthing under there rig slept in theres and was ready to roll in short order. There was exstenueating sercomstances but it's the way I roll for now. (Untill I get my overlanding trailer finished) and even then I will probably only use the trailer for trips where my wife and I are going vacationing for several weeks at a time).

I'm jonzing to go for an overnighted as we speak. Might have to next week if we can't go to Missouri.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Sounds like you are well on your way 4Runner wise. Lots of options out there for the 4th gen model. What are you looking for? I've been building mine out for the last 2 years or so. Mostly for long range trips with a mix of highway, trails, and some off road. Like @JDGreens and some others, I often sleep in the back on a drawer platform I built when I'm out on my own. I got the 4th Gen for the v8 so I can tow the Aframe popup trailer for more comfort on longer trips, Drop it at a boonedocking site and head out to explore in the 4Runner.

Boort

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Zappe

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Dacono, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Dean
Member #

I’m really not sure yet how much I want to add onto it considering the money I’ve already dropped after just buying it a month ago. I love it but don’t want to go overboard because I’m thinking in 3-4 years I’ll want a much newer one. Who knows, maybe I’ll keep this one for many years. I want to change out the front bulbs, and interested in a bumper but don’t want to overload the stock front springs either.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

I’m really not sure yet how much I want to add onto it considering the money I’ve already dropped after just buying it a month ago. I love it but don’t want to go overboard because I’m thinking in 3-4 years I’ll want a much newer one. Who knows, maybe I’ll keep this one for many years. I want to change out the front bulbs, and interested in a bumper but don’t want to overload the stock front springs either.
Since you've only had her for a month, You'll want to go visit the T4R.org forums for lots of good technical info on the truck. They have a 4th gen section with lots of info and occasionally offer group buys for accessories, and lots of vendor forums with deals and product announcements. (Toyota-4Runner.org) there has been a long running thread on front bulbs with folks posting various types and their experiences with them. (Toyota-4Runner.org)

The way I'm looking at it is I'll replace the bumpers if I tear them off on a trail. :D I don't currently have a winch but did install a set of forward recovery points so that I have a way to safely recover if I do get stuck. (Shop | Apex Overland | Off-Road Part Accessories)

For offroading around here, the best recommendation I received was on getting a set of bolt on Rock Sliders to replace your side steps. I got mine from RCI Metalworks a few miles north of you in FoCo. They are currently running a 15% off sale. (2003 – 2009 4Runner – RCI Offroad) so if the budget allows now it the time to pull the trigger.

Boort

Reactions: Zappe

Zappe

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Dacono, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Dean
Member #

Since you've only had her for a month, You'll want to go visit the T4R.org forums for lots of good technical info on the truck. They have a 4th gen section with lots of info and occasionally offer group buys for accessories, and lots of vendor forums with deals and product announcements. (Toyota-4Runner.org) there has been a long running thread on front bulbs with folks posting various types and their experiences with them. (Toyota-4Runner.org)

The way I'm looking at it is I'll replace the bumpers if I tear them off on a trail. :D I don't currently have a winch but did install a set of forward recovery points so that I have a way to safely recover if I do get stuck. (Shop | Apex Overland | Off-Road Part Accessories)

For offroading around here, the best recommendation I received was on getting a set of bolt on Rock Sliders to replace your side steps. I got mine from RCI Metalworks a few miles north of you in FoCo. They are currently running a 15% off sale. (2003 – 2009 4Runner – RCI Offroad) so if the budget allows now it the time to pull the trigger.

Boort
Awesome advice! I was reading forums and looking at all the specs about the 4th gens for a couple months before I bought one. They’re so pricey for a clean title no wreck one that I started thinking of 5th gen but the price jumps $10k min. And have about the same amount of miles on them! Crazy
I really love mine just wish it didn’t have so many paint scratches on it. I have to get over that because it’s going to get more on it off roading anyway and that’s part of the point getting an older model for me. Thanks

Reactions: Boort

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Awesome advice! I was reading forums and looking at all the specs about the 4th gens for a couple months before I bought one. They’re so pricey for a clean title no wreck one that I started thinking of 5th gen but the price jumps $10k min. And have about the same amount of miles on them! Crazy
I really love mine just wish it didn’t have so many paint scratches on it. I have to get over that because it’s going to get more on it off roading anyway and that’s part of the point getting an older model for me. Thanks
I understand, I looked for about 18 months before finding mine 2 years ago. Funny thing was that day 2 came up locally both under 80k on the clock and within a few hundred of each other. So I got my pick.

All of the paint scratches on mine belong to me. I got over it real quick because within the first few months she got caught in 2 hail storms in 2 days. Not enough damage to claim and raise my insurance rates but enough that I can't unsee them. :D

Boort

Zappe

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Dacono, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Dean
Member #

I understand, I looked for about 18 months before finding mine 2 years ago. Funny thing was that day 2 came up locally both under 80k on the clock and within a few hundred of each other. So I got my pick.

All of the paint scratches on mine belong to me. I got over it real quick because within the first few months she got caught in 2 hail storms in 2 days. Not enough damage to claim and raise my insurance rates but enough that I can't unsee them. :D

Boort
Oh that sucks but I get it with the hail damage.