Terre Haute, IN, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Schinkel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9HUF
I'm taking my grandson, whose 11, to Utah to see some of the national parks and then onto the north rim of the Grand Canyon at the end of May. We are staying a couple of nights at Dead Horse Point and a couple of nights at Kodachrome Basin before hitting the Grand Canyon.

I've taken a couple of trips out west from Indiana via rental car and primarily stayed on the beaten path. But this year I was planning on taking my 2002 WJ Overland but transmission problems kinda forced me to get a different Jeep, a 2016 JK Sport.

When I visited Colorado and New Mexico last year I wasn't an OB member yet. Everywhere I went I would see a dirt road leading somewhere but was afraid to take them thinking it was private property. Here in Indiana if you find a dirt road it's usually somebody's driveway. [emoji2]

I'm looking for trails to possibly take my grandson on while at Dead Horse and Kodachrome that aren't too technical but not driving down two lane pavement either !!!

I thought about the Schafer trail but looking for suggestions of anything else that anyone familiar with the area could suggest. We're gonna be taking 2 weeks to explore the unknown (to us) western U.S.]IMG_20190429_171858-01.jpeg

Last edited:

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Where are you starting from? I might be able to route you on some cool trails. What have your already seen in Colorado?

huf67

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Terre Haute, IN, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Schinkel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9HUF
Where are you starting from? I might be able to route you on some cool trails. What have your already seen in Colorado?
We are starting from Terre Haute Indiana. When I went out that way last year I stayed with family in Estes Park for a couple of days and then drove thru the Rockies to the Great Sand Dunes NP, then Mesa Verde NP, 4 Corners, Shiprock, Petrified Forest NP, south rim of the Grand Canyon and then headed back east... But all of that was on pavement. I'm wanting to get the tires dirty this trip !!!

Cendee

SE Member Representative
Launch Member
Supporter

Influencer III

West Haven, UT, USA
First Name
Cendee
Last Name
Bjerregaard
Member #

I'm taking my grandson, whose 11, to Utah to see some of the national parks and then onto the north rim of the Grand Canyon at the end of May. We are staying a couple of nights at Dead Horse Point and a couple of nights at Kodachrome Basin before hitting the Grand Canyon.

I've taken a couple of trips out west from Indiana via rental car and primarily stayed on the beaten path. But this year I was planning on taking my 2002 WJ Overland but transmission problems kinda forced me to get a different Jeep, a 2016 JK Sport.

When I visited Colorado and New Mexico last year I wasn't an OB member yet. Everywhere I went I would see a dirt road leading somewhere but was afraid to take them thinking it was private property. Here in Indiana if you find a dirt road it's usually somebody's driveway. [emoji2]

I'm looking for trails to possibly take my grandson on while at Dead Horse and Kodachrome that aren't too technical but not driving down two lane pavement either !!!

I thought about the Schafer trail but looking for suggestions of anything else that anyone familiar with the area could suggest. We're gonna be taking 2 weeks to explore the unknown (to us) western U.S.]View attachment 96132
Good Morning,

You will have a blast out here. There are a ton of fun easy trails in Moab that you can tackle. Onion creek, Long Canyon, Hurrah pass/ Chicken Corners, Gemini bridges/bull canyon, Shafer trail, Top of The World.. All easy and very fun as well as scenic. Depending on your experience level and your Jeep set up a few rock crawling beginners trails would be Fins and Things and Hells Revenge (take all bypasses) @Anchor Mtn is our member rep in that area and he has a lot more knowledge than I do.

Kodachrome Basin and the Grand Canyon I am not familiar with yet but @A-Aron is our Member Rep in that area and is an encyclopedia.

Let us know when you plan on being here and maybe some of us can meet up with you.

Reactions: huf67

A-Aron

US Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Utah
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
So.. this would be my recommended route.. there are lots of trails around, but not many that will get you from point A to B in this portion of Utah.. something about huge red rock canyons and winding rivers that make non-pavement travel less than productive.. that being said.. your specific destinations do allow for the use of 2 dirt tracks that will actually benefit your total trip mileage and allow you to see some great scenery off the beaten path. Having kids myself.. you NEED to stop at Goblin Valley.. and the Toadstool Hoodoos that I put on the map below.. they will be some of the highlights of your trip. Also, if you've never been to Bryce Canyon.. and you're staying in Kodachrome.. its only a 30 min trip to the Park Entrance.. and Totally worth the side trip! I haven't been down the Cottonwood Canyon road recently, but 4WD is more than sufficient. I traveled the House Rock Valley road a few weeks ago and it has some deep ruts in a few areas and can be a little rough.. but it is traveled by brave sedans regularly. Hope this helps, I've got a lot of recommended camping spots around here.. and a few more side trips if you want to spend an afternoon or two checking out some other sites in these areas.. slot canyons, sand dunes, cool geological formations.. etc. Let me know, safe travels!

Attachments

huf67

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Terre Haute, IN, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Schinkel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9HUF
Thank you so much for all the suggestions. I'll spend the next month researching them all.

As far as when we are going to be there, we check into at Dead Horse Point on the 29th and exit on the 31st.... And then Kodachrome from the 31st to June 2nd... After that we are just winging it. I thought about some dispersed camping outside the north rim of the Grand Canyon and then who knows where.

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Thank you so much for all the suggestions. I'll spend the next month researching them all.

As far as when we are going to be there, we check into at Dead Horse Point on the 29th and exit on the 31st.... And then Kodachrome from the 31st to June 2nd... After that we are just winging it. I thought about some dispersed camping outside the north rim of the Grand Canyon and then who knows where.
It is pretty safe to plan about 10mph average on those dirt tracks, so figure that into your timeline.. and possibly a side jaunt for fuel and snacks somewhere... I'd highly recommend taking a day to visit Kanab (there are some really cool sand caves and slot canyon called Peekaboo by the locals nearby that your grandson would love) There is a lot of public land, you can camp about anywhere the ground has been disturbed previously along most of this route.. I can provide some gps tracks to get to some areas that have poor descriptions. Camping along House rock Valley Road is plenty.. White Pocket is 70 minutes off the road and accessible with a Jeep and worth a look, and one of my favorite places to camp is nearby. As far as dispersed camping in the Kaibab National forest.. it is legal anywhere previously disturbed and outside of a 1 mile radius of any established campground.. so basically.. anywhere a mile farther north or south (before the park boundary) of Demotte Campground along the North Rim road.. There are tons of forest roads.. and spots a plenty.

Reactions: Cendee and huf67

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

With 2-3 days in the Moab/Canyonlands area there are a few amazing places only dirt will get you to that will make memories for life.
1. Tusher Tunnel. My son loves it and asks to go there every time we go into town.
2. Dinosaur tracks... Mill Canyon, Copper Ridge, Poison Spider and Fisher Valley Overlook.
3. Long Canyon Jeep Trail, Potash Road, Shafer Switchbacks loop.
4. Chicken Corners/Hurrah Pass trail. Make sure to Stop and the Wind Caves on the way. Also, dont be a chicken and walk around the corner. Its worth it.
5. Mill Canyon, William Grandstaff, Corona Arch hikes.
6. Willow Springs Road into Arches NP. Avoid the long line at the front gate and just pay on the way out!
7. Gemini Bridges and Bull Canyon trail.
8. For a little throttle fun.... go to the Sand Dunes south of town off Behind The Rocks Road. Plus kids like to dig in the sand and roll down the dunes. Venture a little further down the road to Picture Frame Arch.
9. Fins and Things. Its rated "difficult" by the guide books but dont let that stop you. Its a ton of fun and a great introduction to Moab slickrock.

Reactions: huf67 and A-Aron

huf67

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Terre Haute, IN, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Schinkel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9HUF
I've been checking a lot of these trails out on YouTube... I'm not thinking two weeks is gonna be enough time... I just might have to move out west !!! [emoji16][emoji16]

Thank everyone for some awesome tips and trails !!! I'd like to say that if you're ever out east in Indiana that I'd be able to return the favor but we're just not the cool !!! lol

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
I've been checking a lot of these trails out on YouTube... I'm not thinking two weeks is gonna be enough time... I just might have to move out west !!! [emoji16][emoji16]

Thank everyone for some awesome tips and trails !!! I'd like to say that if you're ever out east in Indiana that I'd be able to return the favor but we're just not the cool !!! lol
That's just the tip of the iceberg..lol good luck, there are trails about everywhere, so let us know where you plan to go/end up and we'll get you some info.

huf67

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Terre Haute, IN, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Schinkel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9HUF
I've got the dates above that we'll be there at Dead Horse and Kodachrome.

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
I've got the dates above that we'll be there at Dead Horse and Kodachrome.
Right, I think you've got plenty of data for those areas. but after those dates.. you could bust down to the GC in a day.. or spend a few days or a week exploring on the way down.. lots of options and things to explore in that area of Utah/Northern Arizona

huf67

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Terre Haute, IN, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Schinkel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9HUF
Right, I think you've got plenty of data for those areas. but after those dates.. you could bust down to the GC in a day.. or spend a few days or a week exploring on the way down.. lots of options and things to explore in that area of Utah/Northern Arizona
I appreciate all the information that you guys and gals have given... I do believe that this vacation is gonna rock... Literally and figuratively !!! [emoji2]

Ldstruckn

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Ivins, Utah, United States
First Name
joseph
Last Name
johnson
Member #

Service Branch
US ARMY
Right at the edge of the city limits of Moab is Baby lions back in sand flats area. It is an easy 5 min ride/loop and will get everyone in the jeep on edge but can be done by any 4x4 with brakes.

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Right at the edge of the city limits of Moab is Baby lions back in sand flats area. It is an easy 5 min ride/loop and will get everyone in the jeep on edge but can be done by any 4x4 with brakes.
Love baby lions back... I saw it done by a Chevy Cavalier once... nice and slow.. think they may have lost the front bumper though..lol

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Doesn't matter what you drive!!! Worst case.. he can ride his bike home! lol

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Huelsman
Im heading down to Expo West from Denver and driving past Moab. Can it be done in a truck towing an offroad trailer? How wide is the actual path up and what lies ahead once you’re up there?

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Im heading down to Expo West from Denver and driving past Moab. Can it be done in a truck towing an offroad trailer? How wide is the actual path up and what lies ahead once you’re up there?
Not recommended with a trailer.. super tight turn when you come down the back side.. bad departure angle as well

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

Not recommended with a trailer.. super tight turn when you come down the back side.. bad departure angle as well
Sometime a small lake forms on the backside as well that can be 3ft deep or more... Going to Expo with wet carpets would make for a smell trip.

Reactions: A-Aron