Have you ever used your fuel in your Geri Cans?

• HTML tutorial

Trail_Blazer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Reno, NV
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Kenney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6KYQ
Every time I go out, I have at least 6 gallons (2 x 3 gallon Rotopaxs) with me, even for short day runs. I have ORFAB tire carrier, that carries two Rotopax cans. I should have purchased the model that will carry the two 5 gallon cans. You can remove the carriers and replace the two 5 Gallon cans with two 4 gallon Rotopax cans. Lesson Learned! I have found that plastic cans are more forgiving than the metal. When planning a back country route, I calculate the total consumption and know where all the fuel stations are located. I ensure I have at least 10% more than I need (as the lowest number). I extend that depending how far from fuel I'll be. I have an ARB fuel can holder I put on the Gobi Rack for an extra 10 Gallons on the roof rack if I feel I need it.

I use the fuel in the cans at the end of the run and drive with them empty until my next run. If I'm doing a lot of driving, I keep them filled and use them at every fill up to rotate the fuel. I had to travel overseas a few times in the recent past and I put fuel stabilizer in the fuel for no longer than 8 weeks. I have never had an issue with my fuel (knock wood). As a pilot, I was taught the adage that there are three things that are worthless to a pilot. One of those was fuel left in the truck. Same thing applies here, the fuel in the gas station is worthless to you if you're not at the gas station. Better to have extra, than to need more.

Levidale

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Gardendale Texas
Member #

I always fill mine up at the last fill up. I always use name brand fuel when possible and if I didn't use it on the trail I dump in the truck on the way home. Never had to use it in emergency.

MandAtaco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
Member #

We always carry at least 5 gallons with us. The Nevada desert fuel stops can get pretty far apart and my truck is a thirsty pig with a small tank! There's been several times I've poured it in mine or someone else's just so I wasn't coasting in on fumes to a fuel stop. It's also good insurance when the "planned route" changes or we find something else thats just "a little farther out of the way" than what was originally planned.

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
All the time, especially in Winter. Closest gas station is about an hour away where I live and in Winter we only go to town about 1-2 times a month. Had to help out folks several times. Most of it goes into the plowing Jeep, ATV and the backup genny. Now that we switched to propane generators for our battery bank, I have an excuse to get one of those AT propane brackets on the rigs.

GoingCommando

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Toledo, Lewis County, Washington, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
Rue
Member #

Uffda, and I was bitching to myself switching from a 2 to 4 dr Jeep!
Is that a fellow Norwegian I hear?
So I had been getting 16-17 hwy mpg in my stock Commando. After mods I'm getting 11 mpg. I got a Commander specifically for the 5.7l V8 so I can pull a camper trailer. Once I do that my range is going to be about 120 miles. Ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: britz

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
Is that a fellow Norwegian I hear?
So I had been getting 16-17 hwy mpg in my stock Commando. After mods I'm getting 11 mpg. I got a Commander specifically for the 5.7l V8 so I can pull a camper trailer. Once I do that my range is going to be about 120 miles. Ridiculous.

Guilty. American of Norwegian descent. You can always tell a Norwegian, but you can't them much!
Have you looked into a tuner for that beast of yours? I put in a Bullydog GT tuner for other reasons, but got back 2-3mpg.

GoingCommando

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Toledo, Lewis County, Washington, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
Rue
Member #

Yea, when I did the lift I added a flash pack to adjust the engine tuning, shifting and speedo. It needs adjusting, though. It still doesn't override the electronic stability control. When I accelerate into a turn it applies the front breaks. Still figuring out a solve. For mileage, though, my next investment may be a cold air intake. I hear those help recover some mpg.

Reactions: britz