Have you ever used your fuel in your Geri Cans?

• HTML tutorial

wgmclain96

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fayetteville, AR/Richmond, TX
Member #

I keep my 10L can full simply as an emergency when I'm on trips whether it be for me or another person. Once I get back from the trip, I go ahead and empty the can into my tank and then the process repeats itself.

Nearly had to use my spare fuel during a trip in Big Bend. We were leaving from the center of Big Bend State Park and were headed to the national park. Managed to roll into the gas station in Lajitas and filled up +/-18.9 gallons of gas. I have a 19 gallon tank

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: 15Canyon

vicali

Rank IV

Advocate II

Use mine a few times throughout the year to keep the gas fresh. Haven't needed it in an emergency yet.
But during the summer we convoy with the inlaws - two Tacomas both pulling ~5000lbs travel trailers does weird things to your mileage.. I breathe easier having an extra MFC in the back.

GoingCommando

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Toledo, Lewis County, Washington, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
Rue
Member #

Okay, so I'm something of a prepper and I have 30 gallons in my garage with a fuel additive to keep fresh. Change them out about every 6 months. I also carry 16 gallons of extra capacity all the time. BUT, I use it every month or so. Here's why:
I collect Kroger fuel points every month. I typically get a 40 cent/gal discount. So when I fill up I buy 30 gallons, lately at about $1.90 per gallon. Paying less than $2/gal makes me feel young again.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Steve

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I keep at least one full jerry can on my vehicle at all times. I rotate that fuel into the tank about every two months. Here in the southwest there are stretches of road where "services" are 100+ miles apart and I don't want to get caught in the middle. I have refilled my tank with stored fuel to give me the range to get to a fuel station in order to pay $2.00/gal rather than the $4.00/gal found in the boonies. I also use the fuel to fill the lawn mower used to cut the small patch of grass we call a lawn once or twice a year.

Reactions: flex

GoingCommando

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Toledo, Lewis County, Washington, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
Rue
Member #

One other story to share. Last summer I was driving across TX in my MazdaSpeed3. I typically monitor MPG and know exactly how much range I can get, typically 30 miles after computer says 0 miles range. On this particular day I failed to factor in the headwinds and ran dry about 3 miles short of the exit.
I coasted the off-ramp to dirt turn out looking at a flat, hot landscape pocked with oil wells. There was a company truck with a guy sitting in it. Asked if he could help. He got on the radio and said, "yea, they're on the way." Wasn't sure who "they" were, but I went back to my car and waited.
5 min later a truck pulls up with a 60 gal aux tank in bed. I put about a gallon in, and they said, "no, go ahead. Fill er up. It's good gas" I did. I offered to pay them. They said "don't worry about it." I was flabbergasted. Grabbed a couple beers from the cooler and said, "at least let me wet your whistle." As they drove off I finally read the sign on the truck. They were workers for the oil company out inspecting the wells.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

I always carry extra fuel but have never needed it for my own rig, however I have contributed to others several times :-/ I prefer not to keep fuel for longer then a single season so every winter I will empty any stored fuel.

Roger352

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

, Cornwall PL17 , United Kingdom
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Always carry at least 20 litres with me not just for me but anyone that may need it. Yes I have used it when I was very low. But I always refill as soon as possible or if I cant I grab another 20 Litre's that I have to run my generator.

FJOmega

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Whittier, CA
Member #

I only carry mine on road trips.. It has come in handy when I was in the middle of nowhere and the only nearby gas station wanted to charge an arm and a leg. It helped me get to a regularly priced gas station in the next town. They're also good to have in long offroading trails where there are no gas stations.

15Canyon

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Edmonton
Member #

I only carry it on trips where gas might be harder to get. I've always felt kind of wary carrying it with me, just because of gasoline being flammable and such... am I being overly worried about that? I keep it very well tied down in the bed under the tonneau cover so it won't be moving at all.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

O.Dfj

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Foothill Farms
Member #

We did 185 miles in the Nevada desert a few weeks ago and we used our extra fuel. I wish i had taken more fuel with me.

OB 1466

Reactions: Luis Merlo