Rank III

Member III

Bremerton, WA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Angle
Member #

I am new with a 2020 4Runner took it to Tahuya 4x4 park pinstriped it and broke the steps off. Stock height still I want to lift it but has to wait. Oh ya and dented the stock skid plate. I had so much fun I drove it like my Hum-v I drove when I was in the Army some 23 years ago. I just have to remember the motor pool isn’t going to fix my rig for me. So since I am new blood to all of this dose it make me an elitist?

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I am new with a 2020 4Runner took it to Tahuya 4x4 park pinstriped it and broke the steps off. Stock height still I want to lift it but has to wait. Oh ya and dented the stock skid plate. I had so much fun I drove it like my Hum-v I drove when I was in the Army some 23 years ago. I just have to remember the motor pool isn’t going to fix my rig for me. So since I am new blood to all of this dose it make me an elitist?
Of course it does. LOL

Reactions: K-Rock

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
The Bronco isn’t skinny, it’s wider than your LRD2
My LRD2 looks narrower than it is because it is taller than most rigs in the back 1/3 of the body. Good for rear storage and stuff. My wheelbase is 100 inches, close to what my 67 Bronco was. What is your wheelbase ? What is your weight ? My title says I weigh 4600 pounds but I hear a lot of the other LRD2 guys say they weight upward of 5600 pounds. I think my 67 Bronco was in the 3600 pound category but it had nothing in the rear half and had a removable station wagon style top. The half cabs are even lighter.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Or he just drives in places with wider roads/trails.

I have a ton of pinstripes on my Willys from almost 30 years of wheeling it.
I have always wanted a Willy's PU or station wagon. The simplicity is awesome and all you need to go anywhere. I had a friend who dropped in a ford 300 ci inline six and it was unstoppable.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Has overlanding become elitist? Or is that just a cop out because your jealous of what other folks have worked hard for?
Seems on here the common elitist items are snorkels, lifts, larger than stock tires, electric winches, ya know all the things you want if your offroading.
Calling someone else elitist is in of itself elitist.
Alot of people think they are better because they don't need something someone else needs or vise versa that is elitist.
Be happy with what you have or work to get something better if you feel inadequate.

AA1PR

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Vermont Mountains
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Parie
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA1PR
Let me start off by saying, being on disability I may be biased, but still no need to rip me a new one. I watch many, many overlanding videos from all kinds of overlanding Youtube channels, and I have yet to see one, except "iamjake" that doesn't have $10,000 or close to it (usually more) worth of gear on their rigs. Now I'm not talking about people that live in their rigs full time, but rather those that go for a few days at a time or less. Now I know it's very difficult to not pay a premium to get out there. I mean even good tires can be $1,000 or more a set. Just seems to me that overlanding has gone the same way SUV's, Harleys, trucks, and other things have gone. They got popular by people with pretty good size budgets, then parts costs skyrocket because a lot of people can afford it, and the little guys like me get left out. Now I can and do go out there as far as I can for now but I'll bet my gear costs less than $300. You work hard I know, I don't begrudge you that, you earned it GREAT. Just sucks to not see people more like me out there too.
I agree, remember most of these folks claim its a lifestyle

not sure how a hobby is a lifestyle

these are the same folks that most cant look you in the eye or carry on a normal conversation face to face

yet being an overlander has "notoriety " to it

being an overlander gives one instant fame like all the instangram and youtube channels of folks doing what folks have been doing for decades before it ws given the catch phrase "Overland"

off of soap box while I go explore some old class IV trails or forest service roads

Reactions: Louiston

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

Has overlanding become elitist? Or is that just a cop out because your jealous of what other folks have worked hard for?
Seems on here the common elitist items are snorkels, lifts, larger than stock tires, electric winches, ya know all the things you want if your offroading.
Calling someone else elitist is in of itself elitist.
Alot of people think they are better because they don't need something someone else needs or vise versa that is elitist.
Be happy with what you have or work to get something better if you feel inadequate.
Everyone hasn't worked hard for all the things they may have. Saying that all you have to do is work hard to get something isn't real. Suppliers put higher and higher prices on items because they know that they can sell them to the folks that some would consider to be elitist. That is a fact. I've never seen or known of anyone to think they were better then someone simply because they don't need what some one else may need (or vise versa). Many people simply do it without things others may use because they cannot spend the money on that item or items. Doesn't mean they shouldn't be out there doing it though. If you don't believe that hobbys, sports or whatever isn't geared toward a certain group of individuals, then maybe you are one of the folks that make others think that it is an elitist thing. I mean no ill will toward you and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
My LRD2 looks narrower than it is because it is taller than most rigs in the back 1/3 of the body. Good for rear storage and stuff. My wheelbase is 100 inches, close to what my 67 Bronco was. What is your wheelbase ? What is your weight ? My title says I weigh 4600 pounds but I hear a lot of the other LRD2 guys say they weight upward of 5600 pounds. I think my 67 Bronco was in the 3600 pound category but it had nothing in the rear half and had a removable station wagon style top. The half cabs are even lighter.
Yup,.......Sister and BIL had an original IH Scout with both setups. Sold them as a package deal. The new owner scored on that deal. That 1/2 cab was a rare option. Never seen it on the road, but hope to.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
There is always an elitist level to almost anything. Play an instrument? Pretty sure there's a guy out there who is trotting around with one of Prince's guitars that he bought at an auction. Do you play hoop? I bet there's a guy at your gym with the Barcelona Jordan's, the compression tights and 3 pairs of socks on each foot. I remember after buying my first boat, a 1984 leaky fiberglass OMC for 2500 bucks, I pulled up to the launch and right there was a rich kid plunking down a 20' Duckworth with all the fixins.

I've since saved my pennies and bought a brand new boat, and after a lifetime of buying old used vehicles and fixing them up to get them out on the road and in the dirt, I finally bought my first brand new vehicle and I spared no expense.

I by no means consider myself an elitist in any sense of word, but one might see me as one as I hit the water or the trail in one of my vehicles.

So don't worry about anybody else out there and what gear they are running. In any endeavor there will always be the rich guy, the poser, the social media clown, or maybe someone who saved all of their money, worked really hard and made their dream of owning a sweet ride a reality. It's a waste of time trying to question what's in anyone's heart.

My advice is to not worry about any of it. I used to drive up and down the Sierra mountains in my old Ford focus (259k miles on the clock) with a bunch of water bottles, a sleeping bag and a box of pop tarts. I did the same in an old subaru legacy. I proposed to my wife on an overland trip during the winter solstice in that old subie with my dogs riding in the backseat. Some of my favorite fishing trips were on that old leaky boat. I look back and those were the most fun times of my life. No fancy truck, no fancy gear, no social media.

I'm currently building my new F-150, and I don't need to do much. Out of the factory its just as capable, if not more than my old Sport Trac. Factory Lockers, torque for days and comfy seats. But you won't see me throwing elaborate drawers, racking systems, solar panels or any of that fancy stuff. Just throw it all in totes, toss it in the bed and go! Not that there's anything wrong with those things, I think the gear and tech today is amazing, it's just not for me.

There's an old boater saying that people in boats always wave at people in boats. On the water you will see all walks of life, people in kayaks, people in old leaky boats, bro dude in a wake boarding boat, old fisherman, you name it. We all wave at each other because no matter what you're in, you're just so happy and lucky to be out there enjoying life. Try to take that approach to the trail and you won't have a care in the world.
Yea, I used to play a lot of street hoops in LA/Orange county as well as playing for Northrop Corp.. I was decked out in very common Adidas, floppy wool socks over tube socks, ratty old t shirt and old terry cloth shorts.. then, guys would show up with the 100 dollar shoes, silk warmups, fashion headbands, wristbands, etc etc.. me and my teammates would mop em up.. overlanding’s the same way, it’s not what you’re wearing or driving, it’s how you play or where you are going

RickR

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Antonio, Texas
First Name
Rick
Last Name
R
Member #

Once again I asked my butler to drive the car around and give me his opinion after he had my onsite mechanic do the second coat of wax to my trailer. He said "no over landing like we do is for the common man" then he bowed to me and scurried off.

Last edited: