Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

...a decrease in DIY culture...
I fundamentally disagree that there's been a "decrease in DIY culture". I think the forum era really upped automotive DIY since people had access to support, write-ups and help that was unprecedented before (imagine before forums, if you were doing a clutch on your 3rd Gen 4Runner what were the chances you'd have access to a step-by-step write-up, but in the forum era that sort of stuff was common). YT has just taken it to the next level, as you can often find step-by-step videos on lots of DIY projects. I feel like I know more people NOW that are willing to take on DIY automotive projects than 20 years ago.

-TJ

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
I fundamentally disagree that there's been a "decrease in DIY culture". I think the forum era really upped automotive DIY since people had access to support, write-ups and help that was unprecedented before (imagine before forums, if you were doing a clutch on your 3rd Gen 4Runner what were the chances you'd have access to a step-by-step write-up, but in the forum era that sort of stuff was common). YT has just taken it to the next level, as you can often find step-by-step videos on lots of DIY projects. I feel like I know more people NOW that are willing to take on DIY automotive projects than 20 years ago.

-TJ
Seconded.
Sometimes filtering through the chaff can be a chore but in general there are lot of good guides and examples that are a lot easier to find.
It lowers the entry point for basic and not-so-basic maintenance for a lot of folks because it breaks stuff down in to manageable bits, allows the viewer to see the whole procedure first and get an idea of tools needed, things to look out for, etc.

I do see a lot more of people wanting the newest, lastest and "oh this person has it, THEREFORE I HAVE TO HAVE IT TO DO AWESOME THINGS" sort of advertising, and not like, focusing on things IMO that make overland and 4x4 vehicle travel safer. With modern trucks and good tires you can do a shocking amount of formerly "hard" trails with few issues now. Things like the 'Con and Dusy-Ershim are still a different beast altogether...

EXPO_D1

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Coyle
Member #

I just finished the new episode of Dirt Every Day
Choose Your Own Dirt Adventure
About Episode 105

Fred Williams and Dave Chappelle put the call out on social media to let Dirt Every Day, presented by Tire Rack, viewers vote on what truck to build next and what type of adventure to take it on. A van or an old army truck? Rock crawling or overlanding?

If youre in need of a good laugh check it out :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
About Episode 105

Fred Williams and Dave Chappelle put the call out on social media to let Dirt Every Day, presented by Tire Rack, viewers vote on what truck to build next and what type of adventure to take it on. A van or an old army truck? Rock crawling or overlanding?

If youre in need of a good laugh check it out :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:
Those guys are nuts !! I like their shows though.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
About Episode 105

The best was the hot dog cooker. And the comment by Dave "we've made it over that land". Classic.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

DIY culture is dying. No wood shop, metal shop classes any more. Where are people supposed to get fundamental tool knowledge if parents aren't parenting and schools aren't teaching. This is a microcosm of people and there is a culture within who want to learn and teach DIY. But the overwhelming vast population has an Amazon app for a reason. A turn key, rapid fulfilment of desire at the push of a button.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

As for teaching a trade, there are high school that are geared for the trades, not many, there are more every year. As for having a wood, metal, auto, print shop in every high schools it is no longer realistic. The technology is no longer affordable and needs to be replaced to keep up with the trade. Table saws have been replaced with panel saws, letter press and offset have been replaced with variable data and inkjet. I made a fine living because of high school shop teacher, I am not opposed to shop classes, but realistic as to there ability to stay up with technology. This isn’t the world we grew up in anymore.

Reactions: Shokgoblr

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
As for teaching a trade, there are high school that are geared for the trades, not many, there are more every year. As for having a wood, metal, auto, print shop in every high schools it is no longer realistic. The technology is no longer affordable and needs to be replaced to keep up with the trade. Table saws have been replaced with panel saws, letter press and offset have been replaced with variable data and inkjet. I made a fine living because of high school shop teacher, I am not opposed to shop classes, but realistic as to there ability to stay up with technology. This isn’t the world we grew up in anymore.
Too bad, it's a good world gone crazy. IMO !

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
DIY culture is dying. No wood shop, metal shop classes any more. Where are people supposed to get fundamental tool knowledge if parents aren't parenting and schools aren't teaching. This is a microcosm of people and there is a culture within who want to learn and teach DIY. But the overwhelming vast population has an Amazon app for a reason. A turn key, rapid fulfilment of desire at the push of a button.
My son took 4 years of metal, wood, and auto shop in both Oregon and Colorado. Yes 4 hours of shop class a day. Schools are bring back teaching the trades. I heard of a couple of schools around here where upon graduation of high school students will be able to take certification tests in the skilled labor fields to become journeymen. They are requiring 2 years minimum as an apprentice.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
My son took 4 years of metal, wood, and auto shop in both Oregon and Colorado. Yes 4 hours of shop class a day. Schools are bring back teaching the trades. I heard of a couple of schools around here where upon graduation of high school students will be able to take certification tests in the skilled labor fields to become journeymen. They are requiring 2 years minimum as an apprentice.
Agreed. While not in my province yet, in Western Canada there are high schools doing the same. Very cool. I would have been all over that when I was in school.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Agreed. While not in my province yet, in Western Canada there are high schools doing the same. Very cool. I would have been all over that when I was in school.
Me as well... I was told when I was a freshman that even though I had a plan for my future, at 13 years of age I really had no clue what profession I would really want after high school. Well the day after I graduated I went and worked for a mom and pops Auto Parts Store for three years, then when I couldn’t find a job as a mechanic apprentice because I didn’t have any actual experience (even though I grew up in an agricultural/automotive repair shop taking on diesel repairs after school since I was in 1st grade) I joined the service as a diesel tech. Spent 15 years in the US Army, got out and worked 5 more diesel truck shops until my dad could no longer run his auto shop. So I took over for another 3 years until I physically couldn’t do it any more.
My point is... at 8 years old I knew exactly what I wanted to do with my life, and I knew the public schools weren’t going to teach it to me. And those teachers that told me I had no clue what I really wanted out of life at the age of 13 were dumbfounded 20 years later when I was the one doing the oil changes on their cars. One even asked me why I was doing it when I was “smart enough” to do any thing I wanted to. I told her, “What makes you think I’m not?”

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Me as well... I was told when I was a freshman that even though I had a plan for my future, at 13 years of age I really had no clue what profession I would really want after high school. Well the day after I graduated I went and worked for a mom and pops Auto Parts Store for three years, then when I couldn’t find a job as a mechanic apprentice because I didn’t have any actual experience (even though I grew up in an agricultural/automotive repair shop taking on diesel repairs after school since I was in 1st grade) I joined the service as a diesel tech. Spent 15 years in the US Army, got out and worked 5 more diesel truck shops until my dad could no longer run his auto shop. So I took over for another 3 years until I physically couldn’t do it any more.
My point is... at 8 years old I knew exactly what I wanted to do with my life, and I knew the public schools weren’t going to teach it to me. And those teachers that told me I had no clue what I really wanted out of life at the age of 13 were dumbfounded 20 years later when I was the one doing the oil changes on their cars. One even asked me why I was doing it when I was “smart enough” to do any thing I wanted to. I told her, “What makes you think I’m not?”
Totally. I have come to find out I have add and dyslexia. In school one teacher actually told me I'm going to amount to nothing when I get out. Well I can fab and design anything better than she ever could. Ha ha. I have failed at somethings but I get up and go twice as hard and succeed.

Reactions: Retired and M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Totally. I have come to find out I have add and dyslexia. In school one teacher actually told me I'm going to amount to nothing when I get out. Well I can fab and design anything better than she ever could. Ha ha. I have failed at somethings but I get up and go twice as hard and succeed.
You know I found that out here recently as well. But it made me strive for perfection.

I thought so too but I think things are swinging back the other way.
There is actually a movement of strong interest in fabrication and learning diy skills.

It is being driven by the easy access of 3d and cnc for fab work.
The level of diy is much more sophisticated now, and a nice gateway to all the necessary fabrication foundational skills.

I hope more infrastructure builds up for this.
I know in Germany, this is already a national priority. They pay for apprenticships, schooling and placement.

There is more access to knowledge, but DIY culture nearly wiped out over the last many years.
Metal fabrication, woodworking... all took huge losses and almost disappeared.

It is coming back, with a lot more interest in quality- and US made- thank goodness, so there is hope
it will gain traction and support a domestic industry.
But it's not where it was. Back in the day, every guy had a shop in their garage. It's just a part of what was needed.
Now, a finished garage is a bunch of cabinets for storage.

It's not just light wrenching on your vehicle, which is important.
It's really about making stuff.

-TJ

Reactions: 64Trvlr

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
That's kinda the nature of things. Hell you can do it without spending a ton. The only reason I have a rtt is bc I got a deal on one for 500! At the time I didn't even know there was a term for what I called car camping till I stumbled across some YouTube videos lol
Actually, the price of good gear, tents, refrigerators, sleeping bags, cookware, etc etc, has actually come way down. Things that I didn’t even consider 10 -15 years ago now have a price point that is in my range. I’m not talking about junk, I’m talking the good stuff. The popularity of what we do has increased competition among manufacturers. Examples are a plenty but three come to mind very quickly. Just a few short years ago the Yeti coolers were the only game in town. Now there are several competitors and the prices are nearly half what a Yeti used to be. An ARB fridge freezer 50-63qt used to be 1,000 bucks+/-. 15 years ago. Now, if you shop a bit, one can be had for 800. Winches? Used to be out of the question, now? Good grief, you can find a good winch for 500. A mediocre winch for 250. Gasoline, which is everyones primary expenditure has steadily come down, way down, since the end of the Bush administration.. on this trip we are paying 2-2.50 a gallon. Back then 2008-9-10 we were paying upwards of 4.50 a gallon.which translates to about $4,000 for gas per tour. Now we spend roughly $2,000 in gas per tour. So really, you get right down to it, the popularity of overlanding combined with really cheap petroleum has made it much more affordable to get out and go.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
There is more access to knowledge, but DIY culture nearly wiped out over the last many years.
Metal fabrication, woodworking... all took huge losses and almost disappeared.

It is coming back, with a lot more interest in quality- and US made- thank goodness, so there is hope
it will gain traction and support a domestic industry.
But it's not where it was. Back in the day, every guy had a shop in their garage. It's just a part of what was needed.
Now, a finished garage is a bunch of cabinets for storage.

It's not just light wrenching on your vehicle, which is important.
It's really about making stuff.
Yeah, if you walk neighbourhoods around here all the garages that are opened are "pretty". Tiles on the floor, nice cabinets for storage, and golf clubs. My upper garage behind my home houses my lawn mower, snow blower, the sylvansport camper and my audi A4 cabrio. My workshop down on the back of my property is where the fun happens. full woodworking shop, metal fabrication is getting setup now I have a 3 in 1 welder where I can mig, tig and frig around with it, a plasma cutter and what not. I am planning to add a metal brake, english wheel and a few other doo dads to the metal fab section. Then I have my mechanics / bicycle shop. Full of specialized tools for each. I sunk 250,000 into my shop a few years ago purchasing all the tools, a powder coating and paint system (which I later sold because I had some bad clients before that stiffed me payment after they had their gear, long story), So, I am just getting back to full time down there. I "quit" / got laid off from my job because of Covid so I could stay home with Colin until he went back to school. I am working on setting up my workshop again for full time work down there either working on mechanics for clients, restoring old powersports machines, and building lots of solid wood furniture, decor and what not to sell. I also picked up my cameras again and am picking up some work with that as well. Add in my website design / marketing and outdoor clothing company starting up soon and I will be busy and home with my wife and son!

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
True.

I have been a shop teacher for 21 years now. I have seen it all go away for a myriad of reasons: Districts want to be all inclusive, consumables are expensive, kids are lazy, discipline is not where it needs to be to run a shop in many areas, shops are valuable classroom real estate in growing districts. Heck- I havent been in a classroom in 6 months and dont expect to be in one all year. How do you teach cabinetry online?
Tech Schools are not a substitute for shop class, yet most schools feel if they pay into their tech school system, they dont NEED shop classes in house.
There are dozens of reasons why Shop is disappearing. Its really unfortunate- I hope I have a job in a few years.