Enthusiast III

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Renay
Last Name
Johnson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6DHG
I love TJs. My first Jeep was an 04 TJ and although it was lifted, it looked pretty stock. Always will be my favorite Jeep. Don't worry about people with built vehicles. As long as your stuff runs, that's what matters. I've removed myself from some "groups" where everyone is pre-ordering a new Bronco or have a vehicle and then less then a year later, have something else because they are always chasing the latest fad. I've no use for attitudes like that.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
The "elitist" part of it is something like titanium chop sticks that cost 60 bucks a pair. Go pick up a set of wooden ones and go. And Friggin sporks....Seriously. Take a great design like a fork and make it so you can't STICK anything with it and you cant have a full spoonful of whatever because it leaks out of the front of the spoon. Are you that weak that you need titianum cutlery? Or is it you are close to GVWR that you need to shave those few precious grams? I am going out now to trip the extra plastic off my wheel center caps to save some weight...I kid btw, well besides the spork, that's just dumb.

Mark65

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Kenner, LA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Willis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5FUG
I totally get the OP’s position. I’ve been asked how I could overland without a rooftop tent, as if it’s a requirement.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Mark65

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Kenner, LA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Willis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5FUG
I slept on the ground with a tarp when I was in the military. That tarp was a luxury. If it rains, sleep under your jeep. LOL!
Me too! A poncho liner can be very comfortable if that’s al you have. I’ve also done a lot of backpacking, so I’m amazed at all the heavy stuff I can bring now!

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Me too! A poncho liner can be very comfortable if that’s al you have. I’ve also done a lot of backpacking, so I’m amazed at all the heavy stuff I can bring now!
Best thing about car camping!

Reactions: Mark65

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
My LRD2 looks narrower than it is because it is taller than most rigs in the back 1/3 of the body. Good for rear storage and stuff. My wheelbase is 100 inches, close to what my 67 Bronco was. What is your wheelbase ? What is your weight ? My title says I weigh 4600 pounds but I hear a lot of the other LRD2 guys say they weight upward of 5600 pounds. I think my 67 Bronco was in the 3600 pound category but it had nothing in the rear half and had a removable station wagon style top. The half cabs are even lighter.
Fourth generation
(1987–1991)
Fourth generation
Wheelbase104.7 in (2,660 mm)
Length180.5 in (4,580 mm)
Width79.1 in (2,010 mm)
Height1987–1989: 74.0 in (1,880 mm). 1990–1991: 74.5 in (1,890 mm)

GVWR is 4100

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Fourth generation
(1987–1991)
Fourth generation
Wheelbase104.7 in (2,660 mm)
Length180.5 in (4,580 mm)
Width79.1 in (2,010 mm)
Height1987–1989: 74.0 in (1,880 mm). 1990–1991: 74.5 in (1,890 mm)

GVWR is 4100
Your Bronco and my LRD2 are very close in size but my rig is heavier than yours by several hundred pounds even though my rigs motor and body are aluminium.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Your Bronco and my LRD2 are very close in size but my rig is heavier than yours by several hundred pounds even though my rigs motor and body are aluminium.
I have half the roof yours does :) but honestly I have no idea where the extra weight is at, unless your frame is all boxed in, my frame rails are only boxed in inside the engine compartment, everything else is channeling.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I have half the roof yours does :) but honestly I have no idea where the extra weight is at, unless your frame is all boxed in, my frame rails are only boxed in inside the engine compartment, everything else is channeling.
Yes, my frame is box type, very heavy front and rear axle mounting because of coil spring ride, lots of heavy creature comfort (I'm removing all rear seats) upholstery and a ton of computers and sensors everywhere. The Brits always build complicated vehicles as if that makes them better. I hate the metrics on everything. I hate all the fiberglass garbage. They went crazy on the D2's unlike the D1 version.

Reactions: M Rose

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

For me true overlanding is international travel with a trip length of minimum 3 months. (I know if it is debatable but this is how I see overlanding) In this case, unless you are retired, that means on top of the day to day living cost, you have to afford not to work for 3 months, minimum. That makes it expensive, specially if you have family, some kids, a mortgage/rent to pay, etc..
If you are young and solo, no obligations, probably you can do it on the cheap side.

But the truth is most people do what I do, the occasional week-e nd trip in the wild with a bit of offroad maybe, and probably 2 longer trips per year 2-3 weeks each.
This type of overlanding was known as camping and it is a very old thing, many decades, and can be done on the cheap very easy.

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

The definition of elitist is the exclusion of others for not meeting a set criteria. I just discovered the overland journal podcast the other day. Same exact topic was being discussed. 1 of the 2 guys on there proceeds to say “ you’re not an overlander unless you’ve been international for a certain amount of time.” I will not be listening to them again. But yet overlanding isn’t elitist. I just read the exact same thing here too. “Gotta travel international for 3 months minimum.” Glad I haven’t spent money on that vehicle decal yet. Especially since I just found out I will never be considered an overlander. In just the last week I’ve heard/read twice that 95% of us will never be overlanding. Again this isn’t an elitist hobby.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

The definition of elitist is the exclusion of others for not meeting a set criteria. I just discovered the overland journal podcast the other day. Same exact topic was being discussed. 1 of the 2 guys on there proceeds to say “ you’re not an overlander unless you’ve been international for a certain amount of time.” I will not be listening to them again. But yet overlanding isn’t elitist. I just read the exact same thing here too. “Gotta travel international for 3 months minimum.” Glad I haven’t spent money on that vehicle decal yet. Especially since I just found out I will never be considered an overlander. In just the last week I’ve heard/read twice that 95% of us will never be overlanding. Again this isn’t an elitist hobby.
One of the first online exposures I had with the "overlanding" community was with somebody from the Overland journal virtue signaling over the Jeep Gladiator concept vehicle having a blender in it. His rub was that it ostensibly contained an alcoholic beverage (even though it said very clearly in the article it was not) and he was going on about how alcohol had no place in overlanding with or without responsible use.

In every group of people there are those you agree with and those you don't, people can call what they do whatever they want. 3 continents? Pfffffttttt, no thanks.

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Two people talking shit doesn't really dictate reality....
I get that. I’ve been told I am quick to over react. I like calling out the hypocrites. I will probably never leave North America. I continue to make as many camping trips as my days off, and other obligations, allow. I’ll keep using the majority of my vacation every fall trying to keep my freezer full. I’ll keep building my truck to make each trip a little more enjoyable. To me, the spirit of exploration and the personal adventure, matters way more than someone else’s view of where I need to go and for how long. Some of the best trips I’ve read about on here are from people basically in their own back yard. Car camp on in whatever brought you there.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
One of the first online exposures I had with the "overlanding" community was with somebody from the Overland journal virtue signaling over the Jeep Gladiator concept vehicle having a blender in it. His rub was that it ostensibly contained an alcoholic beverage (even though it said very clearly in the article it was not) and he was going on about how alcohol had no place in overlanding with or without responsible use.

In every group of people there are those you agree with and those you don't, people can call what they do whatever they want. 3 continents? Pfffffttttt, no thanks.
Ugh - every time I see this thread pop up again, I get a stomach ache. Nothing good ever comes from trying to define overlanding. That's why our founding principles say, 'overlanding is vehicle dependent travel" that's it. We created this community partly because of the great lengths other communities go through to define overlanding as something that is fairly unattainable to most. This community has grown over the years, and that's a good thing, but not everyone will have the same definitions. That's OK, as long as they don't try to shove their definition down your throat - who cares? Many people will say you don't overland unless you run 40s or above. Um, OK. Probably not accurate for most.

Ironically this thread is called "Has overlanding become elitist" when in actuality, I found it to be very elitist in 2010, and created this community to have a place where people are not judged and we help each other. I'd say Overland Bound is one of the most open overland communities there is. I've seen so many awesome random acts of support and kindness it warms the heart.

We strive to be open minded and encourage our community to do the same. What we stand for: Core Principles - Overland Bound

M

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Ugh - every time I see this thread pop up again, I get a stomach ache. Nothing good ever comes from trying to define overlanding. That's why our founding principles say, 'overlanding is vehicle dependent travel" that's it. We created this community partly because of the great lengths other communities go through to define overlanding as something that is fairly unattainable to most. This community has grown over the years, and that's a good thing, but not everyone will have the same definitions. That's OK, as long as they don't try to shove their definition down your throat - who cares? Many people will say you don't overland unless you run 40s or above. Um, OK. Probably not accurate for most.

Ironically this thread is called "Has overlanding become elitist" when in actuality, I found it to be very elitist in 2010, and created this community to have a place where people are not judged and we help each other. I'd say Overland Bound is one of the most open overland communities there is. I've seen so many awesome random acts of support and kindness it warms the heart.

We strive to be open minded and encourage our community to do the same. What we stand for: Core Principles - Overland Bound

M
That’s the first time I’ve actually read the core values. Very well spoken. Thanks for giving us a place to hang out and share stories and builds.