Launch Member

Member III

Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Rath
Last Name
Adventures
Member #

In my pointless opinion, I don't think overlanding itself has become elitist. I think there are definitely people and businesses that treat it that way, but there are likely a vast amount more that don't.

It's like anything, really. You'll always have a group that treats themselves as the elite part of something. That doesn't mean the entire thing is the same way.

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Arlington, WA, USA
First Name
Brie
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
I don't think "overlanding" is elitist and I don't think there is anything wrong with people of all walks of life (and financial means) enjoying a moment or a lifetime away from the concrete jungle. Sure, there are some that will buy only the best and justify to everyone else why they spent premium money on a piece of equipment (whether effective or ineffective). There are also a number of "Walter Mitty" types that live a glamorous life... on Instagram only.

I identify as an "overlander" not to be elitist or to set myself apart from others, but as a way of describing my soles desire to see the nature of this wild planet we live on and to experience how people with a different culture have adapted to their small slice of the planet. Perhaps there is a little "Walter Mitty" in me... I read the writings of my great-granduncle, Father Hubbard, while he was exploring in Alaska and see my small adventures as a glimpse of what he experienced. The first time I visited Alaska's Inside Passage, my mind immediately went to a writing of his describing his first experience with it.

So I am an amateur overlander and wannabe explorer... and it scratches my emotional and mental itch just fine.

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
There is always an elitist level to almost anything. Play an instrument? Pretty sure there's a guy out there who is trotting around with one of Prince's guitars that he bought at an auction. Do you play hoop? I bet there's a guy at your gym with the Barcelona Jordan's, the compression tights and 3 pairs of socks on each foot. I remember after buying my first boat, a 1984 leaky fiberglass OMC for 2500 bucks, I pulled up to the launch and right there was a rich kid plunking down a 20' Duckworth with all the fixins.

I've since saved my pennies and bought a brand new boat, and after a lifetime of buying old used vehicles and fixing them up to get them out on the road and in the dirt, I finally bought my first brand new vehicle and I spared no expense.

I by no means consider myself an elitist in any sense of word, but one might see me as one as I hit the water or the trail in one of my vehicles.

So don't worry about anybody else out there and what gear they are running. In any endeavor there will always be the rich guy, the poser, the social media clown, or maybe someone who saved all of their money, worked really hard and made their dream of owning a sweet ride a reality. It's a waste of time trying to question what's in anyone's heart.

My advice is to not worry about any of it. I used to drive up and down the Sierra mountains in my old Ford focus (259k miles on the clock) with a bunch of water bottles, a sleeping bag and a box of pop tarts. I did the same in an old subaru legacy. I proposed to my wife on an overland trip during the winter solstice in that old subie with my dogs riding in the backseat. Some of my favorite fishing trips were on that old leaky boat. I look back and those were the most fun times of my life. No fancy truck, no fancy gear, no social media.

I'm currently building my new F-150, and I don't need to do much. Out of the factory its just as capable, if not more than my old Sport Trac. Factory Lockers, torque for days and comfy seats. But you won't see me throwing elaborate drawers, racking systems, solar panels or any of that fancy stuff. Just throw it all in totes, toss it in the bed and go! Not that there's anything wrong with those things, I think the gear and tech today is amazing, it's just not for me.

There's an old boater saying that people in boats always wave at people in boats. On the water you will see all walks of life, people in kayaks, people in old leaky boats, bro dude in a wake boarding boat, old fisherman, you name it. We all wave at each other because no matter what you're in, you're just so happy and lucky to be out there enjoying life. Try to take that approach to the trail and you won't have a care in the world.

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
Thanks for the replies, you all are awesome. One reason I joined Overland bound was for community. I DO get out there as much as I can sorry if I didn't mention that. Me n my '99 Buick do what we can. Honestly, I don't go out with other overlanders yet because I'd be embarrassed with my car. And I am NOT camping in bear country in a ground tent LOL
Don't be embarrassed, just do YOU! And you can camp in bear country with a ground tent. I still use a ground tent, just hang your food up in a tree, and keep things active at your camp, have a fire going at night if you can, been doing this for over 2 decades, have never had a bear encounter.

xc70az

Rank 0

Contributor I

Arizona
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
M
I would point out that there's elitism in every sport/hobby. When I golfed, some people only cared about the price of your clubs. I also bike and there are some that think you have to own a $10k carbon fiber race bike.

I think social media influencer culture has been a major contributor. We see these $100k sponsored rigs on Youtube and Instagram. It looks like reality, when there are actually very few people with those circumstances.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

When I go to meetups I find it funny when I see high end suspensions that are spotless. I can’t imagine spending the hours it takes to get them like that!!! My maintenance is 100% including a full underbody power and hose wash and inside detail. I can’t get my stuff that clean. The inside of their rigs is spotless too. There is Baja moon dust in my truck from 3 years ago that will never come out. LOL

I am not a Jeep or Toyota guy so when folks are using the alphabet to talk talk about their rigs I am lost. When others are getting into the weeds about a piece of equipment most of the time I just don’t care. I can tell you who made my tents, stove, bumper and why I like them, not the model. I will look up the model if it’s important. Guys dissuading the finer points of a build is interesting but gets boring pretty quick. There are plenty of guys that overland more via the key boards. During this C-19 thing, me to.

I camp as well as most here without the fashion of many. If we talk about a trip, a destination, a route, I am all in. That trip is what is important. The lesions learned by screwups. A way to pack or tie down someway new, yep. Want to share a camp fire and talk story, hell yes.

I understand better than most the marketing behind overlanding, I chose not to get sucked in by most of it, when I do I am aware of it. The marketing is what driving elitism.

Last edited:
Reactions: 64Trvlr

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
Has overlanding become elitist ?

once my 24K gold plated Sporks arrive from L.L. Bean...i'm going to have to say "Yes. Yes it has."

View attachment 172085
WOW, those are wayyyyyyy better than my spork!

20191205_133247 2.jpg

I'll just leave this here :smirk:

I really gotta have that maybe 2 of them. :hearteyes:

RETSTO

Rank III

Member II

Tampa
First Name
David
Last Name
Horwitz
Member #

I've done all that.... a few times. For the past 5 years I've been returning my TJR to stock.... except for 33s and the AEV HighLine. But no lift, stock shocks, stock springs, stock engine..... I actually found taking out the lift increased the capability, stability. Spend your $$$$ on refrigeration, solar, communication. Jeeps and Toyotas, the Colorado and Ranger are incredible off the showroom floor.

I've always liked passing a BMW in a Cortina..... Be the "underdog" you will never be embarrassed. And accept branches sideswiping yer car as scars of honour. Nothing is worse than a 4 wheeler trying to keep his $80K investment looking like a trailer queen.
Good advice! My wife and I just leased a 2020 Jeep Wrangler Diesel...not sure if we want to buy it....not sure what capability it has...we're at the very beginning of this exploration. I think all have hit the nail on the head. I like the idea of crawling into overlanding and spending the money on refrigeration, solar and communication first. I'll stick to the easy trails and find out if harder trails suits us or if we want to relax by the lake next to the mountains :) If there is a bare minimum safety package (e.g. bumper/winch) I should have I would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
As for elitist, on the "other" site, I got ripped by a so called moderator because I brought up motobecane bicycles annd how they are a good deal compared to top brand bikes. The storm that ensued was huge. You might have thought I said I am going to kill your family or something.
It happens on OB too. It has happened to me in two of the forum's.

• Sad
Reactions: M Rose and grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
It happens on OB too. It has happened to me in two of the forum's.
yeah, that's messed up, but for the most part there aren't too many people on here like that. overall, it seems that the majority of folk that are on here and identify with what this site is all about are people who are more into thinking for themselves, being out away from the mess of society and aren't of the 'sheep mentality'. i've seen a few members on here that are way out there with their comments and generally nobody feeds into them and they eventually go troll elsewhere.
oddly enough, the only other forum and group of people who don't get into a bunch of mess are woodturners. go to a woodturning forum and its mostly just older retired guys who enjoy their hobby and just want to enjoy what they do and not be hassled by the man....:grinning:

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
yeah, that's messed up, but for the most part there aren't too many people on here like that. overall, it seems that the majority of folk that are on here and identify with what this site is all about are people who are more into thinking for themselves, being out away from the mess of society and aren't of the 'sheep mentality'. i've seen a few members on here that are way out there with their comments and generally nobody feeds into them and they eventually go troll elsewhere.
oddly enough, the only other forum and group of people who don't get into a bunch of mess are woodturners. go to a woodturning forum and its mostly just older retired guys who enjoy their hobby and just want to enjoy what they do and not be hassled by the man....:grinning:
There are certain threads I just wont participate any more because of the overly opinionated people that hang out on those threads. I like people who have opinions and I like hearing them if they are civil about it. I like to hear all opinions and judge them for myself. I heard a weird quote yesterday. It goes like this... "Everyone has an opinion but the only one that counts is mine"... I just shook my head and shut my mouth. You cant reason with an attitude like that. I know I'm not perfect but that comes from being wrong a lot of times myself and admitting it loudly.
I believe in honesty with ones self to be first and foremost. :-)

xc70az

Rank 0

Contributor I

Arizona
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
M
There are certain threads I just wont participate any more because of the overly opinionated people that hang out on those threads. I like people who have opinions and I like hearing them if they are civil about it. I like to hear all opinions and judge them for myself. I heard a weird quote yesterday. It goes like this... "Everyone has an opinion but the only one that counts is mine"... I just shook my head and shut my mouth. You cant reason with an attitude like that. I know I'm not perfect but that comes from being wrong a lot of times myself and admitting it loudly.
I believe in honesty with ones self to be first and foremost. :-)
This is a great approach with everything right now. The answer usually lies somewhere in the middle. It's easy for the pendulum to swing too far in the opposite direction and start bashing people with pricey setups as well. I don't have a problem with people spending $700 on a vehicle or $70,000. After all, their vehicle choice doesn't really have an impact on my life. Similarly, I can appreciate people who truly test their vehicles and wear "desert pinstriping" as a badge of honor. I'm big into car detailing as well, so that's just not an aspiration of mine. I like that this community seems to demonstrate this live and let live ethos.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I got made fun of yesterday for being an “Overlander” by a rock crawling “Jeeper”. He has more wrapped up in his Jeep than I do in both @KRose 4Runner and my Bronco (by the time all my mods are done). It’s not just something here in Overlanding, it’s a problem throughout the whole “off road community “.

I was reading a JK forum yesterday gaining some knowledge about a certain radio that I am working on. The radio I have is a commercial radio that has been discontinued and is offten used by Race Teams for off road events like the Baja 1000. This JK owner was looking for information on how to install such a large radio into his rig. He got so much flack because it was a commercial radio and not allowed to be used without a license.
After about 3 pages of why he can’t run the radio because of the licensing issues the op finally comes back with the installed pictures. And come to find out (as he stated in his opening post) that he was part of a professional Race Team. All the flack he was getting was from amateur radio operators that weren’t educated in what he was doing.
So the elitists are in every group.

ps, my use of said radio will fall within the limits of my license. I’m doing some firmware and hardware upgrades to make it legal on the 2m band... wonder how far 110w will reach.

Some people get into a hobby just for the gear. That's the point for them.
Brady is the posterboy for gear shilling. His opinion changes with who ever is sponsoring him.
A lot of people equate expensive for good, so more expensive must be better.

Offroading is expensive enough. Good kit is expensive. But there will always be a market for gear masturbation, in any hobby.

A lot of people go the other way and get cheap gear that fails to do the job and just wastes money too.
I would say that's worse but expensive jack off gear usually doesn't work as well as simple, decent priced tools that have been around for decades.

I'll just leave this here :smirk:

No one aspires to have desert pinstriping. It just happens if you travel enough.

This is a great approach with everything right now. The answer usually lies somewhere in the middle. It's easy for the pendulum to swing too far in the opposite direction and start bashing people with pricey setups as well. I don't have a problem with people spending $700 on a vehicle or $70,000. After all, their vehicle choice doesn't really have an impact on my life. Similarly, I can appreciate people who truly test their vehicles and wear "desert pinstriping" as a badge of honor. I'm big into car detailing as well, so that's just not an aspiration of mine. I like that this community seems to demonstrate this live and let live ethos.

Reactions: Drmiller100