Shepherdsville, KY, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Nuckolls
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4WHV
Well, it may be slightly less expensive to live in KY than Miami, NYC or LA. Cost of Living Index 2020 Mid-Year
So where you live has a lot to do with it but overall you can google the numbers our wages are stagnant for 40 years and EVERY thing has increased most notably healthcare, housing, college etc...
If we all spend less than we make, then where a person lives does not really matter. It is more about the choices we make than where we live. As a side note, where we live is also a choice.

If anyone can not afford where they live, they should consider relocating to a more affordable place.

Traxx

Rank 0

Contributor II

Fort Worth, TX, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Grishom
If we all spend less than we make, then where a person lives does not really matter. It is more about the choices we make than where we live. As a side note, where we live is also a choice.

If anyone can not afford where they live, they should consider relocating to a more affordable place.
But but but, that doesn't play into the victim narrative/mentality. Stop using personal responsibility as a crutch.
For those of you that think you have it so bad. Travel the world a little and you will not feel quite so bad for our so called impoverished.

Dlnuckolls

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Shepherdsville, KY, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Nuckolls
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4WHV
My point exactly! Looks like (from the article) folks are moving to more affordable places. I do wonder about the tendency of Americans to "house hop". In the article they make reference to questions about moving again soon... Make a plan and stick to it. Then vacation like crazy in all the "cool" spots! Having lived in Florida in the past, I found it a great place to vacation but would rather live in a cheaper state.

buckwilk

Rank IV

Advocate II

yuma, az
Regardless of circumstances of life there's always a place for you. Might not be exactly what you envisioned or desire but it's there. Key is adapting to the situation and understanding what you want out of your time here and figuring out how to make that happen.

buckwilk

Rank IV

Advocate II

yuma, az
"inequality grow a bigger and bigger rift." Societies are never equal in spite of what some would like you to believe. I think aging has an impact on what we we see and how we think , perhaps you are just becoming an old codger. (<;

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Yes, but the problem is those 1,000 transplants a day are displacing residents both physically and economically.
They are coming here with salaries that are often significantly higher than state averages, they are coming here having cashed out in areas where real estate prices are ridiculous as are taxes. They then come here from their liberal "utopias" to pay no taxes and jack up cost of property beyond what residents can afford based on median income levels and property values. So, you have what we have here now. Dubai 2.0. Where city and federal workers can't afford to live, cops, nurses, teachers make $40k a year the median family income if $53k a year yet a house cost is well over $425,000. So you have dipshits buying tiny "luxury" condos facing the Biscayne Bay for $800,000+ and then paying $1,000+ maintenance fees which lead to developers building nothing bu luxury condos.
The transients from NY are doing the same to Florida as the ones from California did to Colorado. They also brought their liberal politics. :-(

Dlnuckolls

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Shepherdsville, KY, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Nuckolls
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4WHV
The transients from NY are doing the same to Florida as the ones from California did to Colorado. They also brought their liberal politics. :-(
100%, correct!

Plus, they think "Florida" is Orlando south and the beaches. They come here with no idea of the Northern parts of Florida, the Everglades, Camping, Fishing, Hunting, etc...

Funny, yet sadly true story. There are a bunch of these idiots complaining for years now because there is a horrible stench around their newly purchased luxury mini Mcmansions. Seemingly, especially in summer and after rains. Well, no shit. Those million dollar homes were built in the early 2010's and sit at the base of a 150 foot and growing LANDFILL that has been here since the 70's. So they want the city to move it because it smells. WTF?
Too much entitlement and not enough personal responsibility!

buckwilk

Rank IV

Advocate II

yuma, az
In keeping with the OP I think there are plenty of folks out there without the high dollars spent. They just don't have the sponsors or viewers the high dollar guys do so the spotlight doesn't fall on them. There is a couple on you tube that now takes two vehicles on their family expeditions, one for him and one for her to drive. It is the height of conspicuous consumption and ridiculous in the extreme but they have viewers who think this sort of crap is worth watching. They'll have to come up with one of those clown cars next.

MattLew

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harriman, TN, Tennessee 61, Harriman, TN, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lewandowski
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4DIE
since this thread seems to be getting popular again, I shall toss in my 2 not so shiny, old, copper coins.

The politics has nothing to do with whether or not elitism is a part of overlnding. While I agree with a number of the comments I saw, overlanding has all types with the full political spectrum represented among our ranks.

Realistically, it is not elitist... but there is a LOT of "Keeping up with the Jones' playing a factor, which combined with inflation makes it easy to end up with a HIGH DOLLAR rig where as 10-20 years ago, a similar truck could of been built for a whole lot less. A decrease in DIY culture has further contributed to that increase in perceived cost of entry. But as a community, it does not seem to me like I am seeing any snobbery (other than perhaps jeep and toyota owners laughing about the subaru owners because 4x4 can go places AWD can not (I especially hear it coming out of the rockys, but I hear it everywhere. THIS I see as a problem that overlanders need to work to correct. Sure most of them are what one might call weekenders, but they are vehicular campers with a love of outdoor recreation just the same as the rest of us)). The ever increasing cost of aftermarket parts does not help, but that falls under inflation... once upon a time I took a van that I had only a few thousand invested in camping on back country roads (read washed out fire roads and the like) I wished it was 4x4 so I could take it deeper into the trails, but it would of had a high center of gravity... still I had 32" tires and frequently did mud and water crossings that where up to the running boards to get me to camp sites in the middle of nowhere. 25-30 years later, a set of 255/85r16 tires will cost as much as I bought that van for.

There IS a li'l "gear elitism" but it is more a keeping up with the jones' thing... "oh Steve has a COOL Prinsu rack... I have to have one now"... "oh dave got a nice roof top tent I want one" another part of it is what we picture in our head for an overland camp, which is in large part inspired by austrailian overlanders with their ARB bumpers, and roof top tents. But in truth that is not a requirement of overlanding... YES it is nice gear, but it is not necessary (unless you are in an area where being off the ground will protect you from dangerous wildlife) granted I do want to run a set of 255/85/16 tires (I can not remember who brought them up in a thread here, but thank you... ye made a convert of me) with 3" lift, a full set of skid plates, front and rear steel bumpers (with a winch up front, and a spare tire carrier in back) nerf bars, and a contractors rack (I don't need no fancy pants prinsu rack (sorry prinsu guys, it IS a good rack, but a might pricier than need be)) even with just that and a few LED lights, I am looking at over $12,000 in gear and I have not even started getting into other associated costs.

I COULD save a fair bit of money taking a pile of metal to my local tech school and letting their welding program build a LOT of my parts. If I did my calculations right I could do my rock sliders/running boards for around $350 for the set instead of close to $1000 it will cost me. I calculated around $600 for a front bumper (with a beefy brush guard that would make any aussie roo bar proud) BUT I am not giving up my BDS sensors and I only know ONE company that has a successful rear BDS compatible bumper (Apogee) and my own personal bit of gear snobbery is that I WANT related parts to be from the same company so I am getting ALL my skids from RCI (as soon as the budget permits), my bumpers and nerf bars from apogee (when all 3 items become available (they are still developing the tire carrier for the bumper and the rock sliders) and all my lights from Baja Designs (I wanted KC, but the bumper is designed to work with BD and I just do not want to mix and match the brands))

But I am building my truck the way I want because I want it to have certain gear. I will also be doing DIY RTT (designed specifically to work with the contractor style cargo rack I am getting then modifying, or getting my local welding class to build for me) and field kitchen from scratch... I do not feel that anyone else is "not a real overlander" if they do not have at least as much or some specific brand of gear as me... and I am going to spend WAY too much on this hobby, which I do not encourage anyone else to do. I think there will always be brand loyalty among owners... everyone will say "the stuff I got is the best" but I do not think that is elitism unless some ******* tells you "if you do not have this, you are not an overlander" and if they do tell you that, I do not care how famous they are... they are not an overlander, they are a poser pretending to be an overlander for the youtube and instagram likes :)

when someone has a fancy rig, ask yourself "do I NEED that part, or would it just be cool to have"" and if you do decide you need it ask "do I need the fancy pants name brand, or can I use a similar lower cost part, or can me and my buddies make a part that will do the same job?" if you do not NEED the part ask yourself "Is this something I WANT?" and if so reask the second question "do I NEED the fancy part, or is there another option that will give me the same results?" and if someone knocks your decisions, refer to the last statement in my previous paragraph again. :)

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

That’s why I live in a travel trailer... I got tired of paying $1000 + utilities for a 1 bedroom apartment when a nice used travel trailer is only $2-10,000, and lot rent is typically under $400 with full services (minus gas which is running me about $3-400/ year). With my income I can’t afford to live any other way... Overlanding isn’t just a hobby for me any more. it’s a way of life.

2dub

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Moyock, NC
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Workman
I think in some aspects it has become elitist. But you'll have that in any niche group of people.

Overlanding is what you want it to be. If you just want to stay on pavement and see all the scenic by-ways that's awesome, if you want to hit amazing off-road trails, that's awesome too. My technical trail skill level is probably a 6/10, if you like more or less technical trails good for you. If you like KOA campsites or if you like primitive camping that's all good too. You don't have to "overland" the same way I do and visa versa.

But you don't have to spend a ton on your rig, you don't have to have every piece of kit ever imagined. And don't feel like anything less if you don't.

I've seen people on a trail with vehicles that I wouldn't hit the trail on, but they make it work and more power to them. I've also seen people with mega expensive rigs out there that even if I had that much money I wouldn't hit the trail in that expensive of a rig just in fear of damaging or destroying it.

But just don't participate in the keeping up with the Jones's game. Go out and "You do you."
I love many of these YouTube videos and am somewhat jealous of their rigs, their kit and their meals of steak every night and bacon and eggs every morning. Here I am packing a week of hot dogs, cold cuts and cereal for my meals.

But you know what, I'm still having a great time with my 10 year old Coleman ground tent, a who-knows-how-old Coleman cooler, my cheap Dicks sporting goods camp chairs, ancient camp stove and other things.

Would I like to upgrade, maybe depends on what. My tent is holding up well but will have to be replaced in the not too distant future. I'm considering a RTT, but then I have to get a rack too, have a place to store it when not on my truck, I'm not in a big hurry for it. My camp stove is ancient and probably only has a few more adventures (1-2 drops) left in it, but when it's time I'll probably just get another new one just like it. I will probably never have a fridge in my truck and wouldn't pay all that for a Yeti, probably another ol reliable Coleman cooler for 25% of the cost when ever this one finally bites the dust.

I'm less worried about the "Elitist" element out there. I think the biggest problem we face are the A-holes who don't follow the rules or even unwritten guidelines. They do things like litter, go off the established trails, drink & drive because its okay your on BLM land and there's no traffic or paved roads, have rowdy campsites, light fires in unapproved areas... you get the picture and you've seen these people out there too.
As a result we've seen trails closed, and other negative impacts on those of us who do respect the privilege of overlanding, respect the land, practice leave no trace and even leave campsites/trails cleaner than when we got there.

Uorodin

Rank II

Contributor III

Clemmons, NC
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Quinn
Member #

I think in some aspects it has become elitist. But you'll have that in any niche group of people.

Overlanding is what you want it to be. If you just want to stay on pavement and see all the scenic by-ways that's awesome, if you want to hit amazing off-road trails, that's awesome too. My technical trail skill level is probably a 6/10, if you like more or less technical trails good for you. If you like KOA campsites or if you like primitive camping that's all good too. You don't have to "overland" the same way I do and visa versa.

But you don't have to spend a ton on your rig, you don't have to have every piece of kit ever imagined. And don't feel like anything less if you don't.

I've seen people on a trail with vehicles that I wouldn't hit the trail on, but they make it work and more power to them. I've also seen people with mega expensive rigs out there that even if I had that much money I wouldn't hit the trail in that expensive of a rig just in fear of damaging or destroying it.

But just don't participate in the keeping up with the Jones's game. Go out and "You do you."
I love many of these YouTube videos and am somewhat jealous of their rigs, their kit and their meals of steak every night and bacon and eggs every morning. Here I am packing a week of hot dogs, cold cuts and cereal for my meals.

But you know what, I'm still having a great time with my 10 year old Coleman ground tent, a who-knows-how-old Coleman cooler, my cheap Dicks sporting goods camp chairs, ancient camp stove and other things.

Would I like to upgrade, maybe depends on what. My tent is holding up well but will have to be replaced in the not too distant future. I'm considering a RTT, but then I have to get a rack too, have a place to store it when not on my truck, I'm not in a big hurry for it. My camp stove is ancient and probably only has a few more adventures (1-2 drops) left in it, but when it's time I'll probably just get another new one just like it. I will probably never have a fridge in my truck and wouldn't pay all that for a Yeti, probably another ol reliable Coleman cooler for 25% of the cost when ever this one finally bites the dust.

I'm less worried about the "Elitist" element out there. I think the biggest problem we face are the A-holes who don't follow the rules or even unwritten guidelines. They do things like litter, go off the established trails, drink & drive because its okay your on BLM land and there's no traffic or paved roads, have rowdy campsites, light fires in unapproved areas... you get the picture and you've seen these people out there too.
As a result we've seen trails closed, and other negative impacts on those of us who do respect the privilege of overlanding, respect the land, practice leave no trace and even leave campsites/trails cleaner than when we got there.
Amen to the “overlanding is what you make of it” message. Would I love to have a truck with a RTT and all the bells and whistles? Absolutely!

Do I instead have a Ford Fiesta that I take down roads that it shouldn’t go down? Absolutely!

To quote my father - “the world is your oyster, it’s up to you to decide if you like shellfish”

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

Has <insert hobby here> become elitist? I think any hobby whether it be overlanding, stamp collecting, woodworking, fishing, hunting, photography, or so on will have participants across various income levels and thus spending will be related accordingly. Is that elitist or just people with extra disposable income doing just that?

ryancarman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pakenham, ON, Canada
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Carman
Member #

I buy stuff I used and wished I had in the Army. What??? Road Shower???check!!! Freezer with ice??? Check!!! Twice! Capability to avoid clowns with no off road capability!!! Chezchlosovakia!!
Used gear when you can get your hands on it is where it's at. I just installed a used RTT on a buddies outback with him. He saved a thousand bucks off of retail, the tent is cherry. Made me jealous I paid retail for mine. ;)

CG87

Rank I

Off-Road Ranger I

Pahrump, NV, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Glasgow
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
None
Ranger that! I seem to be stuck on Moab on this forum...here it is though...There's a second hand store in Moab that sells previously owned gear ibeit, tents, climbing, camp cooking, clothes...you name it. Picked up a collapsible shitter tent for $20, had it now for 3 yrs. Got my Rubicon from Car Max in Vegas 4 years old not a rock scratch underneath, previous owners never took it off pavement, they did add the wrong coolant as it was pink, Thanks to the knowledgeable particular individual who worked at O'Reilly in Leadville CO. No problem, but what they didn't know was it has a 4:10 gear ratio, not the 3:73. No idea why...Yuppie hand me downs are choice for sure!