Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I am all for the development of new gear and rigs. The fact that even the automakers are catering to us suggests it will be a while before this becomes history.
I figure it will peak about the time Cadillac and Lincoln get on board.
Well about 20 years ago the american car mfgs quit listening to people who wanted a real 4x4 truck and went soft in favor of the soccer mom cult who wanted the hauling ability but wanted a luxury ride and interior. (Hence an inferior 4x4 vehicle) For the time that was the end of a man's 4x4 and favored the feminine touch, just ask the off road magazine guys about it. Now the trend is to build a more capable off road vehicle again. Thankfully ! Now if they will just put transfer cases in the all wheel drive SUV's and trucks, get them up off the ground a bit they will get back into the market properly. The real change has been the attitude of women who want to get out with the guys now. Thank you ladies, I appreciate that !

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
my first car wich was a 1980 LUV is what got me going. I LOVE old school Isuzus...
Bottom line in everything there will always be what appears to be an elitist element. Sometimes it is legit people doing things to show off, more often its people who simply have the money through hard work to finally get what they want. Just keep getting out and doing what you like, nothing else really matters that much. But I will say I can sympathize with feeling "outclassed". Right now Im limited to day trips as I havent even had the extra funds to buy basic camping gear. So youre a step above me!
You are the man I was talking about earlier in this thread. Many struggle to get out to OB, WE DON'T ALL MAKE $110,000 a year or more, which are the largest group of people in OB presently. Thanks for hanging in, we need people like you..

Reactions: Dilldog

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
In all seriousness though, I’m not sure what the original question means . Is there anyone here that senses the presense of a ruling class, or anyone that wants to be of said ruling class here at OB or any other on line or brick and mortar organizations? Are there really snobbish elitists among us? Last trip out as we were packing up my wife was approached by someone giving somewhat snobbish advice. She politely said, thanks but I’ve been doing this for 25 plus years. This way works for me. With that comment she or I could easily be labeled elitists. We are far from it. I have discovered, in my 66 years that elitists, never become leaders, let alone good leaders, they are too wrapped up in the facia of their self image. I know of only one “ elitist” in the overlanding community and without mentioning names every business venture attempted by him has failed or he has been bought out and ushered out the door. Does our hobby take a lot of money? Not really, I started out with a 66’ VW bug back in 75’. What it does take is time and dedication.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

There's a VERY easy fix for that. Instead of posting pictures of a camp area and bragging how great it is and then sitting back and waiting for someone to ask about it so you can get offended that they want to know your "special" place, just put it out there ahead of time that you are "special", you have "special places" and that you are posting pictures, BUT nobody is allowed to ask about them. That way everyone is on the same page.
Everyone keeps making such good points on both sides of this, and I Liked many of them. I’m so confused lol[emoji23]

Reactions: MazeVX

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Everyone keeps making such good points on both sides of this, and I Liked many of them. I’m so confused lol[emoji23]
Your right, no one is totally right or wrong every time. It's called OPINIONS. I have agreements and disagreements on both sides of the issue. But if someone is mostly wrong, but right on the lesser issues, one cant give them a like, can you ? The question should be " When is elitism okay" but I don't want to open another hornets nest !

Reactions: sabjku and grubworm

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Its because like most things in life, perception is everything. If you are able to look past this fact, then you will be more apt to engage and see multiple points of view...

Reactions: sabjku

Dave K

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
I’ll stir the coals a bit and provide a bit of extra fuel for confusion. Just going to leave this right here:

Reactions: hidesertwheelin

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

Your right, no one is totally right or wrong every time. It's called OPINIONS. I have agreements and disagreements on both sides of the issue. But if someone is mostly wrong, but right on the lesser issues, one cant give them a like, can you ? The question should be " When is elitism okay" but I don't want to open another hornets nest !
Only "Elite" Tennis players get invited to Wimbledon.
Only "Elite" Golf players get an opportunity to play at the Masters.
Only "Elite" Wine experts get the names posted at Clos Vouguet, as a Master Sommelier.
Only people with IQ's of 160 get offered to be members of MENSA.
Only Boy Scouts with the proper Merit Badges, Skill sets, get to become an Eagle Scout. Experienced Hikers & Campers get taped-out to be members of The Order of the Arrow.
OK, I think, I done here..... : ) Oh thought of one more, Only members of the Specialty auto, truck, boat community get to attend SEMA...

Last edited:

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Only "Elite" Tennis players get invited to Wimbledon.
Only "Elite" Golf players get an opportunity to play at the Masters.
Only "Elite" Wine experts get the names posted at Clos Vouguet, as a Master Sommelier.
Only people with IQ's of 160 get offered to be members of MENSA.
Only Boy Scouts with the proper Merit Badges, Skill sets, get to become an Eagle Scout. Experienced Hikers & Campers get taped-out to be members of The Order of the Arrow.
OK, I think, I done here..... : ) Oh thought of one more, Only members of the Specialty auto, truck, boat community get to attend SEMA...
Yes, and most all of those that are elite in their chosen professions are also very humble individuals. So I go back to the OPs original statement/query and ask, is it oh so terrible to be an elitist ? Most everyone that is any good at all in what they do learns humility along the way. Those that don’t possess humility most always crash and burn. This conversation keeps getting better and better. Maybe the OP meant to use the term arrogance

Last edited:

hidesertwheelin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

High Desert, So Cal
Member #

I’ll stir the coals a bit and provide a bit of extra fuel for confusion. Just going to leave this right here:

Oh stop be an elitist...... and I’m not going to follow you if you don’t share the coordinates..... you proved my point exactly. And this is why I don’t share places with people I don’t know.

Stealth_Runner

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Cruz
Member #

Service Branch
AF vet
Hey John,
You're obviously not alone in your thoughts as you can see with everyones response. I myself don't have deep pockets and have to save up for a while to make changes on my truck. Up until 2 years ago, i drove a 94 4runner until it started giving me issues. I'm also very frugal and always looking for the best deals. I will say that I'm guilty of taking pictures and at times some video on some of the trips i take, but thats mostly for my own pleasure.
Overlanding for me is a great way to escape the everyday society crap. Don't worry John, there's a bunch of us out there with minimal gear.

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

Yeah, I'm not geotagging everywhere I go and sharing locations either.
If that offends someone... That's on them.

There's a difference between sharing a love of the outdoors and telling everyone about your favourite spot(s).

I spend a fair bit of blood, sweat, tears, and yes money... To get to a spot nobody else is at.
Same for me. I just stretch the truth and tell people I'm at a spot "nearby" that everybody already knows about. Please check out Flagpole Knob. :sunglasses: