Harv's CDN M101 Overland Build

• HTML tutorial

harv3589

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Alberta, Canada
Member #

Thought I would post our overland trailer build up on here. It's a CDN M101 that we picked up the spring of 2015 and have been working on since. It's getting close to be done, just some fine tuning now.

This is some pics of the trailer as it sat when we bought it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Here is the day we picked it up and hauling it home. Was happy to get my hands on one.

image.jpeg

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

Nice. I'd love to build one of these, but I have no place to work on it, and can't find any in decent condition anywhere near me.

harv3589

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Alberta, Canada
Member #

It's been a long process. Some more build pics...most of it I worked on outside since I don't have a garage.

It was a complete tear down.

image.jpeg

Had a lot of help from a friend with the tongue build at his place.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Replaced the bushing for the leaf springs and found some new military surplus leafs for it since the ones on it were shot.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:

harv3589

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Alberta, Canada
Member #

Had a few rusted areas that I had to cut out and weld in new metal. Wasn't bad but just time consuming.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Replace the factory drums with new ones so they had the same 5 on 5 bolt pattern as my jeep.

image.jpeg

Cleaned up all the parts one by one and repainted them the original military green paint.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

harv3589

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Alberta, Canada
Member #

I had a local shop build a lid for me since it was beyond the scope of my abilities. They also fabbed up some new fenders so that the tires would be completely covered.

I attached some rails on the bottom side of the tent cross members so I could slide my table top up in there.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

New Procomp wheels and 33" Duratrac tires to go on the trailer.

image.jpeg

Welded up some baskets to hold my Scepter has and water cans on the tongue as well as a 10lb propane tank.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

harv3589

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Alberta, Canada
Member #

Started getting it together now. Repainted the camo pattern on for a temporary fix until I have everything just right and I will have it Line X'd military green.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

One of my favourite additions...

image.jpeg

harv3589

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Alberta, Canada
Member #

Fixed up the triangle reflectors since they were bent up and in need of new paint.

image.jpeg

Cleaned up and straightened the original plate for it. The front of the box was bent some so it had to be straightened up as well.

image.jpeg

Coming together, tongue box on, table figured out to mount on gender and wiring done.

image.jpeg

harv3589

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Alberta, Canada
Member #

I built a tray to overtop of the spare tire to better utilize the room and it worked out good! In able to put a lot of stuff there and it doesn't go anywhere.

image.jpeg

First test run with it last summer! Worked out great just a few minor things to change and add on.

image.jpeg

tzorb

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Looks great! I love seeing an actual build thread not just finished pictures.
What model m101 is it? Most of the m101's around here a huge.

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

Reactions: harv3589

harv3589

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Alberta, Canada
Member #

Looks great! I love seeing an actual build thread not just finished pictures.
What model m101 is it? Most of the m101's around here a huge.

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

Thanks!

It's a M101 CDN 2 so the smaller version built for the Canadian Military. Really sought after for these builds since they are so tough. Made to parachute out of a Hercules plane actually....

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
FYI...

The M101 CDN is the Canadian military version of the US M416 1/4 ton trailer pulled behind GPs (Jeeps). The US M101 is a 3/4 ton trailer pulled behind 3/4 ton or larger military trucks. The M101A3 is its 1 ton bigger brother used behind HMMWVs (Hum-Vees).

I am looking for a 416/101 CDN for extra gear.

doobie_dave

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Maybe you can enlighten me..

I realize that these things are tough and really cool, being old military and all.

But people go through so much trouble to find them, and spend so much to get them.

Why not just buy an axle and put a box on it? Whats so special about these?

Im just curious thats all. Thanks!

Sent from my LGLS991 using Overland Bound Talk mobile app

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
Used to be you could pick them up, ready to roll for $500-$1000. Now they are becoming harder to find and the price is going up. I still hope to find one at a local auction or tangled up in the weeds behind some farmer's barn... I am looking at other options...