Hard to find yakima roadshower, whatndo you use?

• HTML tutorial

trailhunter

Rank III

Traveler I

US
the roadshowers side mounting and profile was going to be an idea fit for a 10 gallon tank, cant find it anywhere. Anyone recommend DIY or other water storage solutions performantly affixed to the vehicle/trailer?

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

DIY. Everything is at Lowes/ Home Depot. I made this one but with 6" instead of 4".

F1NO3C4ISCB0SV5.jpg

Reactions: RoarinRow

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I use a 3 gal yard sprayer painted black with sink sprayer thing. I like it cause the wet spot isn’t in camp. I might hold you over.

Ian McAdorey

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Syracuse, NY 13219, USA
First Name
Ian
Last Name
McAdorey
Member #

Reviving an old thread, but it looks like Roadshower is done, Yakima has "Archived" it and no longer has it as a product for sale on their website. Might look into doing something with PVC and have it painted black, for the sake of weight/price, but obviously aluminum or steel would be better for heating the water as you go via the sun.

Side note, does anybody know what happened to the Roadshower and why it was killed off. most of what I have seen online was customer service issues with Yakima, not necessarily sales issues with the product.

Ian McAdorey

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Syracuse, NY 13219, USA
First Name
Ian
Last Name
McAdorey
Member #

Reviving an old thread, but it looks like Roadshower is done, Yakima has "Archived" it and no longer has it as a product for sale on their website. Might look into doing something with PVC and have it painted black, for the sake of weight/price, but obviously aluminum or steel would be better for heating the water as you go via the sun.

Side note, does anybody know what happened to the Roadshower and why it was killed off. most of what I have seen online was customer service issues with Yakima, not necessarily sales issues with the product.

AppalachianGoat

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Dillsburg, PA, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
XXXX
Service Branch
USN
I’m pretty interested in these setups as I’m pretty into destination/trail running and the idea of rinsing off is great instead of wet wipes. However I cannot fathom spending roadshower money when I and arguably anyone with basic tools could DIY it for less than $100 maybe even less.

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

There is/was the water port 3.8 gal with accessories bundle for $149 at Costco (bought mine in February) and I really like it. They also have a smaller or bigger version.

Sure DIY is cheaper and can be a fun project, I just didn't have time/space for that.

Ian McAdorey

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Syracuse, NY 13219, USA
First Name
Ian
Last Name
McAdorey
Member #

I‘m very happy with WaterPort Weekender.

Now this I like, but my gripes are something that the RoadShower's design already had. I would like to side mount mine to my rack as I have a RTT on most of the time, and I dont know if you could side mount this one due to hose position/outlet. I will reach out to their support but this might be the way.

the idea of rinsing off is great instead of wet wipes
Especially when you throw muddy dogs, muddy kids, sometimes even muddy mountain bikes into the mix, just better to have some hose-pressure water on hand to get all off.

Slightly related/unrelated, we have some decent water storage ready for a 19-day road trip this summer.
A question that occurs to me: how/where do you fill up water when on an extended journey?
Good question, and I am sure it has been answered in some other areas on the forums. If it was me going completely off grid for 19 days i would bring a gallon per person per day, and I know that is a lot to carry on you/in the vehicle if you do not have a ton of storage. If you have the ability to hit a gas station or grocery store or something where you can replenish, the break it up, 2 people, for 5 days, you bring 10 gallons. then on day 5 or 6 when you make it to a place where there is civilization again, re-up, then rinse and repeat. HOWEVER, if you are going to be road-tripping and have plenty of access to stores, gas stations, etc. then get what you need for the next day or two and maximize the storage you have inside the vehicle.

Reactions: Rctonnie

Rctonnie

Rank III

Member III

Lawrence, Douglas County, Kansas, United States
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Tonnies
Member #

Good question, and I am sure it has been answered in some other areas on the forums. If it was me going completely off grid for 19 days i would bring a gallon per person per day, and I know that is a lot to carry on you/in the vehicle if you do not have a ton of storage. If you have the ability to hit a gas station or grocery store or something where you can replenish, the break it up, 2 people, for 5 days, you bring 10 gallons. then on day 5 or 6 when you make it to a place where there is civilization again, re-up, then rinse and repeat. HOWEVER, if you are going to be road-tripping and have plenty of access to stores, gas stations, etc. then get what you need for the next day or two and maximize the storage you have inside the vehicle.
So we will be on interstates at least every other day and able to hit gas stations. I guess the thing that occurs to me is, how do I fill up 5-10 gallons of water at a gas station (or other common area), what does that look like? Is there a tap on wall of every gas station I don't know about? :)

Ian McAdorey

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Syracuse, NY 13219, USA
First Name
Ian
Last Name
McAdorey
Member #

So we will be on interstates at least every other day and able to hit gas stations. I guess the thing that occurs to me is, how do I fill up 5-10 gallons of water at a gas station (or other common area), what does that look like? Is there a tap on wall of every gas station I don't know about? :)
Buy 1 Gallon jugs of water and put them in your vehicle. If you dont have enough space for 10x 1-gallon water jugs, buy something like THIS and poor the gallons into 1 or 2 individual containers.

You can side mount it using L-brackets as the whole bottom of the unit has metal countersunk threaded bolt attachment points molded in.
I will have to do some more research then. I just shot them over an email with the question on their "contact" link. I have an RTT, so side mounting it below the RTT's opening side (awning on the opposite side) would be ideal for my setup.

Worst case scenario, I end up just going the PVC route and building/sealing one that can fit my needs

Reactions: MiamiC70

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
The Waterport and homemade showers are super cool, but I don't want that weight hanging off my rack. My wife gifted me a RinseKit a couple Christmas' ago and its pretty slick. I carry a couple Aqua-Tainers and refill from those as necessary. I like things portable, because it usually makes them versatile, and my setup fits the bill.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
We use the woods two room bathroom tent. One side has our chem toilet and the other with a nemo Helio LX pressurized shower bag. warm up some water on the camp stove, pour it in the reservoir and foot pump up the reservoir to pressurize and good to go. Nice hot shower.

Fj60Fan

Rank III

Enthusiast III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Deweese
Member #

If anyone is still looking for a 7 gallon Yakima Road shower. I found a great deal. It looked sketchy at first but I researched the site and it is a family run business that sells alot of Overland/Camping/Hiking gear among other things. Here is a link, pretty good deal. I had it shipped to me in less than 5 days in the original Yakima box.
I will probably buy more gear from them in the future. Just sayin'

Fj60Fan

Rank III

Enthusiast III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Deweese
Member #

Here is the link...

H47Bronco