Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..
Was there anything in the packaging that said you need a license to use some Chanel’s?

Todd
Well, for my specific radios you can see one through a plastic window which clearly says GMRS in big letters on the bottom of the radio. If you knew what that meant, it might be helpful. However, the details about licensing is within the manual.

Since you can use it for FRS, like many you find at sporting stores or in blister packs at Costco, it's not really a highlight of the product. It's meant for general use and they want to sell them not scare people away by confusing them about illegal use or licensing fees.

It's not really that uncommon. Much like cars are built to be capable of going over the speed limit or travelling in either lane of the road, the operator is responsible for lawful use.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Here's a good example for everyone.

Yesterday I went with a group of buddies from the local ham club to the Richmond Frostfest hamfest. It's a huge event and always a good time. I was looking to pick up a nice HT this trip. I had a basic knowledge of what I was looking at, knowing that I like the Yaesu HTs about the best ascetically and havving either a FT-60/70 or VX series in mind.

I browsed the tables quickly the first trip, marking a few in my mind as I went, even handling a few in passing. The next round, I spent a little more time looking at each and eventually stumbled on a VX-5R in very good condidtion with a spare battery, 12v charging cable, fast charge base, and an extended antenna for $125. I didn't even feel it was worth trying to haggle the old fella and just dropped my cash and walked off with my new radio.

I've charged both batteries and been playing with it this morning and I've very pleased with my find. The RX is so much nicer than my Baofeng and it even has the slot to add a barometric sensor to display altitude on the screen.

There was a VX-7R for $170 that probably could have been had cheaper at the end of the day and a VX-6R with a bad battery for $110 or make an offer. I also saw a FT-60R in pretty good condition with a few accessories for $100. This was just the Yaesus I was looking at, there were Icom and Kenwood radios available too, including a box of business Kenwoods (9?) for $75 that CAN be programmed for UHF/VHF Ham bands with the right software/cable.

Nice radios are out there, but being a part of a club with folks with some knowledge and doing research on radios before you just buy something will help you immensely in finding good deals.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Here's a good comparison of the different HT radios out there with comparable results for those folks looking for a good radio.

Reactions: Drifterman

hfd376

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Henrico, VA, USA
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Mitchell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N4HDF

Yesterday I went with a group of buddies from the local ham club to the Richmond Frostfest hamfest. It's a huge event and always a good time. I was looking to pick up a nice HT this trip. I had a basic knowledge of what I was looking at, knowing that I like the Yaesu HTs about the best ascetically and havving either a FT-60/70 or VX series in mind.

I browsed the tables quickly the first trip, marking a few in my mind as I went, even handling a few in passing. The next round, I spent a little more time looking at each and eventually stumbled on a VX-5R in very good condidtion with a spare battery, 12v charging cable, fast charge base, and an extended antenna for $125. I didn't even feel it was worth trying to haggle the old fella and just dropped my cash and walked off with my new radio.

I've charged both batteries and been playing with it this morning and I've very pleased with my find. The RX is so much nicer than my Baofeng and it even has the slot to add a barometric sensor to display altitude on the screen.

There was a VX-7R for $170 that probably could have been had cheaper at the end of the day and a VX-6R with a bad battery for $110 or make an offer. I also saw a FT-60R in pretty good condition with a few accessories for $100. This was just the Yaesus I was looking at, there were Icom and Kenwood radios available too, including a box of business Kenwoods (9?) for $75 that CAN be programmed for UHF/VHF Ham bands with the right software/cable.

Nice radios are out there, but being a part of a club with folks with some knowledge and doing research on radios before you just buy something will help you immensely in finding good deals.
I thought that your rig looked familiar, I think I saw it in the lot at Frostfest!

Bilbo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MBN
Congrats to the OP for passing and obtaining you Ham license. Here's to wishing you many hours of enjoyment in your new hobby.

I expect to gain my license shortly and am pleased to say that I will be joined by my SO in doing so. When I told her I was considering obtaining the license and suggested she consider it as well so that we could communicate when out on our adventures, she jumped at the chance. (We both have a little bit of a nerdy/geeky trait that sometimes comes out.)

We picked up a pair of Baofeng BF-F8HP's a couple of weeks ago during one of Amazon's "Deals of the Day" sales and I must admit that the price was what did it. It would have been nice to purchase a couple of Yaesu FT-60s, but the thought of a $320ish dollar outlay versus a $80 spend was too great to overcome, even though we have the financial means to do so. Especially for a hobby that neither of us had really ever been exposed to and are really just trying to dip our toes into to begin with to see how much we like it.

I will add this, based upon my recent research of HTs. Had we gone with the Yaesu's, not liked the hobby and decided to sell them, we would be out less than if we try to sell the Baofeng's as I believe the Yaesu's will typically hold their value much better.

Just my two cents... Take what you like, leave the rest and get out there and do some adventuring.
Which Yaesu would you recommend that is not over $250

Bilbo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MBN

What do you like about Yaesu FT-60R compared to similar options under $200?