Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
My oldest daughter has been after me to get her a hammock so she can go out with me so I finally picked her up an inexpensive one from Amazon. She made up her woopie slings from some Amsteel and we took it out Saturday for a test hang.

20170914_175132.jpg

My Dad called at the last minute to say he was coming to visit so he tagged along as well.

She did a good job on her slings.

20170916_115833.jpg

One of my ham radio buddies, Ron, is also a hammock guy and I'd invited him along a couple days earlier. He brought out two of his rigs and we had a good morning out at the campground.

Ron napping pretty hard.

20170916_115829.jpg

Me and the youngest hanging out.

20170916_115512.jpg
Middle girl and the youngest sharing a hammock.

20170916_115845.jpg

I think this may become a regular thing. Ron said next time he's gonna bring out some of his cooking gear and whip up some lunch.

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Nice, time out with the family is great. I've got a 12 and 9 yr old. They both live their hammocks. Since I introduced the wife to a cot, that's her preferred sleep system but she likes her hammock for backpacking. Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TerryD

BLF

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

South Texas
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Franke
Member #

My oldest daughter has been after me to get her a hammock so she can go out with me so I finally picked her up an inexpensive one from Amazon. She made up her woopie slings from some Amsteel and we took it out Saturday for a test hang.

View attachment 34680

My Dad called at the last minute to say he was coming to visit so he tagged along as well.

She did a good job on her slings.

View attachment 34681

One of my ham radio buddies, Ron, is also a hammock guy and I'd invited him along a couple days earlier. He brought out two of his rigs and we had a good morning out at the campground.

Ron napping pretty hard.

View attachment 34683

Me and the youngest hanging out.

View attachment 34684
Middle girl and the youngest sharing a hammock.

View attachment 34685

I think this may become a regular thing. Ron said next time he's gonna bring out some of his cooking gear and whip up some lunch.
BRAVO for getting that next generation out there!! Safe travels.

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

I just picked up an ENO Double Nest hammock, and got the chance to try it out on our trip. It's very comfy. Didn't spend the night in it, cuz I'm not set up for that, but I am considering that as an option.

20170917_150814.jpg

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I picked up a chillax hammock from Costco awhile back and it lives in back of my truck just in case opportunity presents itself. It's basically a $20 knock off of the fancy ones. It includes ropes and packs into its attached pocket. I've been very happy with the quality. It holds my fat ass and the dog just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
What can I say I am a full time hammocker. I'm took a while but I can to the realization that the best night's sleep I get is hanging between two trees. So my ground tent has been retired for the most part.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Reactions: TerryD and brianb2

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
Just started testing a hammock system in November, there were many cases I don't have the dogs or the boyfriend on the trail, and thought getting up off the ground with my solo ultralight system may be worth looking into.

I just picked up one of the Bear Butts and have been quite happy with it. Since it's rarely warmer than 50F on summer nights around my region, I tapped into my Mom to modify an old 32F down sleeping bag into an underquilt, which was fine down to 19F. The coldest I've gone has been 3F, and I added a closed cell foam pad and sheet of reflectix, and slept quite soundly.

Definitely adding a few setups to my Overland rigs.

Next up is adding a structural/static ridgeline.

25994690_2007238605958215_1735619216339228467_n.jpg

Last edited:

Kenstaroni

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Nashville, TN
Member #

I went to hammocks a few years back when I got into kayaking and camping. Finding flat ground, let alone flat and dry ground around rivers was really tough. Took a few nights to get used to and figure out, but I've never looked back. I setup my ground tent in the house a few weeks ago to make sure it was still in good shape since it had been packed for at least 5 years..lol I have found a Thermarest style air mattress really helps keep the hammock from binding your shoulders. I tried a thicker one from Big Agnes, but the Thermarest holds its shape better and is all the padding you need. That also helps with insulating your back some as well.

I have 3 Eno double nests, pro fly, rain fly, bug net, 4 sets of slap straps, etc.

Reactions: Crispy

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I have a couple of hammocks in my gear that are primarily for relaxing around camp and a backup emergency sleep system. While I have dozed off relaxing in a hammock, I have never used one to sleep overnight. I don’t sleep on my back as I primarily sleep on my side or stomach and tend to flip around a lot through out the night. While I might be comfortable when I first climb in to bed, I can’t imagine I would be comfortable all night long being confined in a cocoon.

Voodoo 1

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edmonds, WA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Hoskins
Member #

I realize I'm a couple years late on these posts, but new to OB and all, I hope you guys don't mind.

I researched hammock camping (I mean a lot) before buying my first one. I love it! As long as you have a decent under quilt, good sleeping bag & tarp - it's all good :)
I should say (as some of you know), the first couple times might be a little awkward, but you find your way. And yes, it's not for everyone, I was doubtful - I'm not in my 20's or even 30's anymore (much higher) and feared my back would hate it! But I do better in a hammock than in a bed (let alone on the ground in a tent).

So many options, not to mention lite weight. I have a few sleep systems (hammocks, bags, etc) packed in my Jeep all the times. It's nothing to set up. I have even been known to pull up alongside a river or lake, hook one end on the Jeep and just need one tree and just sit a relax for a few hours, brew up a cup and enjoy them outdoors.

Later
Look forward to meeting you all - off road :)

shellbackbob

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

St. George,Vermont
Member #

Hello All,
Any tips for purchasing an under quilt?
I have a Hennessy expedition asysm classic.
I haven't done much winter camping but was thinking of starting.

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Hello All,
Any tips for purchasing an under quilt?
I have a Hennessy expedition asysm classic.
I haven't done much winter camping but was thinking of starting.
Hammockgear.com has excellent gear. They're a little more expensive, but they're high quality. Buy once, cry once.
Arrowhead-equipment.com has great gear and a line of synthetic quilts that come in for a bit less.
I've heard great things about Underground Quilts, but haven't used them personally.
I started down the DIY path because I needed more gear for the rest of my family. One of the guys over at hammock forums came up with a simple no-sew design that makes a surprisingly good quilt for around $70. Here's the link

Good luck

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I gave up the ground tent years ago in favor of a hammock.

Current setup is a Dream Hammock Dangerbird, Hammock Gear quilts, Dutchware suspension, a variety of tarps and a DD Hammocks hammock stand. I sleep better hanging between two trees (or other fixed objects) than I do at home.

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

I can usually be found in my hammock listening to music, have had alot of short naps in it already and I love it!

I have the Sea To Summit Double hammock (it's 10 feet long by 6.5 feet wide with a 400 lbs limit and only weighs 1 lbs incase anyone was wondering)

61923055_449311862495676_5555298373537366016_n.jpg

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

A hammock is my preferred sleeping arrangement whether I am backpacking or camping out of my vehicle. My tents usually only get used at festivals and for desert camping. My wife says I have a hammock problem and she hasn't even seen a couple. :laughing:

AMOK Draumr XL
amok xl sm.jpg

Hammeck Envy-S
SoCal hammock weekend sm.jpg

AMOK Draumr 3
Amok 1 sm.jpg

Micheal369

Rank III
Launch Member

Builder I

Lebanon, TN, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Bennett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRUN860
Anybody here use hammocks instead of tents? What are your pro's and con's? I've always used a tent because there's the dog, wife, kiddo, and myself to shelter, but I'm going on a solo trip for 10 days and have been exploring the idea of hammock camping.
For years I used just a hammock and rain fly tarp as base camp for backcountry camping. It was always ideal for what I needed and saved room and weight in my pack. The only reason I gave up my hammock is because of back injury. (And I'm probably just getting old. Lol)

Seanm26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lynden, WA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Moore
Member #

My go-to is a DIY double layer. Right now i am experimenting with different setups to hang it from my rig so I don't need trees.

I was never able to sleep in while camping until i started hanging. Now i need an alarm clock.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi,

I really enjoy to sleep in a hammock. When it is colder I put my self-inflatable mattress in the hammock first, because this is the con in comparison to sleeping on the ground: the wind goes all around and at least it seems to be colder (similar with sleeping on a camp bed).

In the forest I put a tarp above the hammock - mainly to avoid that something I do not like droppping at me from the trees :tearsofjoy:

Safe travels,
Bjoern