Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Can someone walk me through this application process, I'm finding it rather confusing.
It’s actually quite easy...
First go to FCC Registration - Login and register for your FRN
next contact your local ham club the arrl has a listing for all registered clubs Search for ARRL Affiliated Clubs contact them for next test date.
take exam and pass
pay $10-15 and wait 2 weeks for your call sign.

for study information contact @brien
@Prerunner1982 is a great source for all ham questions

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Can someone walk me through this application process, I'm finding it rather confusing.
Hello Jeff.
Does this thread help at all?

If you have any questions, let me know.

Overland True North

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Girard, OH, USA
First Name
Don
Last Name
Cur
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1DON
Hello Jeff.
Does this thread help at all?

If you have any questions, let me know.
I will be taking my test Feb 19 in Phoenix, AZ.. Been studying my FACE OFF!

Overland True North

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Girard, OH, USA
First Name
Don
Last Name
Cur
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1DON
Good luck
Officially Passed my test! Already got my "Callsign".....Installed the main body of the Radio under the drivers seat on a DIY platform suspended about 4" off the floor between the seat rails. I think this gives me a little more peace of mind than sitting on the floor.IMG_1671.jpeg

Js2l

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

La Honda, CA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Tuel
Member #

There’s a great iPhone app
HRE-TECH
And
HRE-GENERAL

Has study tools and randomized test from test pool.
Made the test easy.

Overland True North

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Girard, OH, USA
First Name
Don
Last Name
Cur
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1DON
What Size RAM X do I need for the Yaesu FTM-400XDR/DE screen ? I will be attaching it to my Vector Bar but I do not which size to buy. Anyone running this radio? What is your mounting system like?

Reactions: M Rose

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

I can't believe this process hasn't been simplified by now. Like just doing it online.
Everything can be done online except taking the actual test.
Mike’s reply (post #2) gives the link for the FRN and the process. No worse than getting a driver’s license.

BullMoose1776

Rank 0

Contributor I

South Texas
First Name
Bull
Last Name
Moose
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5BFE
Nothing about HAM radio is fast or easy, except the actual radio transmission. I get the sense that the vast majority of HAMs like that, as it keeps the pleebs mostly at Bay.

Unfortunately, the barriers to entry in this hobby are unusually high, compared other hobbies, which I think is the primary reason there are so few young people and / or (as I observe, anyway) diversity of hobbyists.

Reactions: TerryD and sakiwest

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Nothing about HAM radio is fast or easy
This is absolutely true.

Patience is a necessity in ham radio because it is a tedious hobby. Getting a license is easy compared to actually establishing communication with someone hundreds or thousands of miles away. The licensing process is not the major obstacle to Amateur Radio. It has never been a young man’s hobby because the fundamentals require so much patience. It’s the same reason you don’t see as many young people fly fishing.

Facebook is easier. But not as rewarding.

Last edited:

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I can't believe this process hasn't been simplified by now. Like just doing it online.
Then it becomes an open book test and the licensee learns nothing. At least with studying the questions and answers they might retain some information.
Ham radio is meant to be a hobby... a place to experiment... provide emergency communication... build things... it's more than just a way to communicate and thus should require the user to have at least some knowledge of what they are doing.
There are other options besides ham radio for those that wish to not put the time into getting a ham license and there is nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ubiety and 64Trvlr

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
Nothing about HAM radio is fast or easy, except the actual radio transmission. I get the sense that the vast majority of HAMs like that, as it keeps the pleebs mostly at Bay.

Unfortunately, the barriers to entry in this hobby are unusually high, compared other hobbies, which I think is the primary reason there are so few young people and / or (as I observe, anyway) diversity of hobbyists.
What barriers are you talking about?

The main one I've noticed is in the local clubs. One of them is cool and everyone gets along and wants to do fun stuff with radios. The other is mostly older Hams that are "too cool for school" and pretty snobby and hard to get along with.

BullMoose1776

Rank 0

Contributor I

South Texas
First Name
Bull
Last Name
Moose
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5BFE
What barriers are you talking about?

The main one I've noticed is in the local clubs. One of them is cool and everyone gets along and wants to do fun stuff with radios. The other is mostly older Hams that are "too cool for school" and pretty snobby and hard to get along with.
I was mostly referring to the high cost of good equipment. The only radio I have purchased is a Baofeng. The rest has been gifted or pass along due to somebody dying in the family.

I prefer to have many hobbies that I can lightly enjoy. It feel like amateur radio is one that you need to really get deeply into, to really enjoy.