Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Yep, mine too. This might raise dust in here, but to get a HAM tech license you have to study a bunch of useless nerdy stuff most will never use. Sure not "useless" to some of hobbyists of course, and in a SHTF sitch its gold - but certainly not needed for overland, general communication and camping. And I state this as a self proclaimed geek generally interested in MOST tech.

I don't expect the majority of my friends to give a CRAP about the fact “single sideband” is a form of amplitude modulation, “rosin core” is the best solder, or what the hell a rectifier or IRLP node is. We want to find each other, laugh, and communicate- within the FCC RULES. So I am also “realistic” and have a GMRS. While HAM might be superior in range, if you just want to roll with your buddies on the trails GMRS its effective for that and much more obtainable and doesn’t require a ridiculous test most just memorize and forget 90%.

This isn't so much a rant as an observation, as I believe HAM would have a lot more users /stronger community if it made things more “sensible” to the average folk – give us the rules, safety, and basic tips (e.g. antennas), done. To drive a car I don’t need to know WTH a fuel accumulator does or what automotive code p0171 means – and I should not have to know it to get my license and know right of way rules.

If the argument is to "screen" out the riff raff, then ok, I'll buy that 100%. ;-) I expect GMRS will grow a lot - anyway, now to continue studying for my technician license, LOL!!
Some really good points. At the core of your points I think is the fact that ham in general has struggled to keep up with the changes in our world. There was no such thing as TCP or the Internet or pick-and-place when most of those rules were written; they were geared towards a different generation who did not have as many different options vying for their time as we do today. That said, some sort of non-tech starter ham license could help to re-invigorate the hobby (or whatever you want to call it).

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

If someone isn't going to follow the FCC rules because they aren't being watched... are they also going to stay on the designated trails and pick up after themselves when no one is watching them? Probably not.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

If someone isn't going to follow the FCC rules because they aren't being watched... are they also going to stay on the designated trails and pick up after themselves when no one is watching them? Probably not.
We pick up trash bags of litter every where we go. And stay on the trails. Our contribution what’s yours?

Last edited:
Reactions: Prerunner1982

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

The FCC may be a lazy mistress but watch out when she is on the hunt. Have a couple buddies who deal with the FCC regularly and they are very careful not to raise any "interest".
I was really shocked by their attitude, sorta like the DMV. She was down right nasty.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

That said, some sort of non-tech starter ham license could help to re-invigorate the hobby (or whatever you want to call it).
Something where you could use more wattage on a few frequencies without having to take a test? Maybe even try using a repeater occasionally?

:::cough:::: GMRS ::::cough::::

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

@Flipper if my general statement doesn't apply to you that's great, it wasn't directed at you. It was just a general statement that may or may not apply hence the use of "probably ".

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Something where you could use more wattage on a few frequencies without having to take a test? Maybe even try using a repeater occasionally?

:::cough:::: GMRS ::::cough::::
Exactly, maybe open up 2 meter and 70 cm because that is where "beginners" would want to be and is a great place to start. The test could cover basic etiquette, etc. and maybe not get so much into theory. Dunno.

Reactions: J.W.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

GMRS is essentially the upper range of the 70cm band so I think the FCC intended for it to be the "beginner" version before you have to take a test to get a Technician's license.

People also have to option to just use FRS radios which do not require any license OR test and can talk to GMRS on select frequencies.

FRS > GMRS > HAM It's a fairly logical progression IMO.

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
GMRS is essentially the upper range of the 70cm band so I think the FCC intended for it to be the "beginner" version before you have to take a test to get a Technician's license.

People also have to option to just use FRS radios which do not require any license OR test and can talk to GMRS on select frequencies.

FRS > GMRS > HAM It's a fairly logical progression IMO.
So you are saying that FRS is a gateway radio? :)

Happy Friday!

Reactions: J.W.