Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Just about 45 days out... are you going to participate this year?

For those new to Amateur Radio, Field Day is the largest ham radio event in North America. Clubs/Groups/Individuals typically set up temporary stations and portable antennas and operate off back up power(battery/generator) that could simulate a wide spread disaster. Some hams choose to operate from home, especially given the pandemic situation. The event runs for 24 hours and each group/person tries to make as many contacts as possible......or just enjoy hanging out, or both.

This is typically a good time to get on HF if you are a tech or get on the air if you are not licensed unfortunately clubs still may not be holding public group field day stations.
Field day starts at 1800 UTC (2pm Eastern / 11am Pacific) time on Saturday June 26 but set up begins typically around 8am. Set up is a good time to take a look at different antennas and how they can be erected and most clubs are always looking for people to help set up…and take down.
There are groups participating around the country. You can find them at www.arrl.org/field-day-locator Hopefully the numbers of clubs participating publicly will be more than last year, but still not likely to be near full strength of a pre-pandemic field day.
If you need help finding a field day station, post your area below and I will be happy to try and find one for you.

Last year I participated as an individual while primitive camping running off batteries. This year will still be primitive camping but may have 1 or 2 buddies join me so will either be a 2B or 3A station depending.

If you are new, want to participate on your own the field day rules can be found here: 2021 Field Day Packet.pdf (arrl.org) and if you still have any questions let me know.

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
GRANDE ronde Radio Amateurs GRRA (W7GRA) is setting up on June 25th at BirdTrack Springs Campground (45.3003000, -118.3073305) cost for camping is $5.00 per site/night. We are open to the public and encourage any one interested to come on up either for the whole weekend, or even for just a few hours. We will have several Get On The Air (GOTA) set up for the public to use (licensed or not). I will be posting a rally point this weekend with more information about the GRRA Field Day Event.

TheBison

Rank V

Trail Blazer III

Hartsel, CO
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Foltz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA0BF / WRMI426
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Planning on participating with my local ARES group.

Reactions: Prerunner1982

NJRadioGuy

Rank V

Influencer II

West Caldwell, NJ, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Dougherty
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2IRT
This year I'm the "hired gun" CW operator at a local club <grin>. I usually do 1E NNJ from my home station (70' tower, large Yagis, etc), ribs on the smoker, and a comfy bed nearby. I'm a contester and DXer and this is a fun little event that I try to do every year if possible.

Next year, weather permitting, I would love to do Field Day with my K3 on solar/battery from a mountaintop with my overlanding gear. Preferably with at least one or two other ops so we can do 24 hours straight on 10 through 80m, and CW since it's double the points of phone!

dit dit.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I’m sorry to hear that Jon, I know I like the opportunity to run with my friends on Field Day. I know you are going to have fun regardless.

BAJAJULIO

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

32.0546665,-116.8793335
Member #

Cheers to ALL. When are next one day class in San Diego area to learn and take test for HAM radio operation. Want to learn and license before getting into equipment. Thank you . Keep Safe.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

@BAJAJULIO unfortunately in person classes still may be few and far between so self study may be your best option if you are up for it. hamstudy.org is a good resource. I typically advise to do the Read Questions and only look at the question and correct answer, incorrect answers are subdued. Do this a time or two (or three or four, whatever you feel you need) before you even take a practice test. The correct answers should jump out at you. Once you are consistently getting 80+ (preferably 90+) then look at taking the actual test.
Many of the test sessions are now virtual as well.
Here is a class in the SD area but their next class may be Aug 7th tentatively.
San Diego Amateur Radio Classes (jsg.org)

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Welp... heading out to my field day site tomorrow and it looks like there is a 60% chance of storms this weekend. Going to risk it and hope that if it storms they don't last long and I will be able to resume operation or that it just rains and I will continue to operate under cover.
This is pretty much par for Field day in Oklahoma. I think in my time participating in FD it has rained more than not.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I arrived to our Field Day sight last night. Setting up the network today and working on a few antenna projects. No rain in the forecast for us, just a lot of heat… supposed to be in the 100’s the rest of the week.

• Wow
Reactions: Sparksalot

NJRadioGuy

Rank V

Influencer II

West Caldwell, NJ, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Dougherty
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2IRT
I'm the hired gun CW operator at W2LI (3A NNJ). Will run pileups for burgers--I'm the only CW op for that group. Bringing my Grand Cherokee and camping on site, but it's only 30 minutes from my front door. WX looked dicey earlier in the week but now the forecast is better. For 2022 I'd seriously like to do a mountain-top Field Day operation somewhere on the east coast with some Overlanders. If anybody here is game let's plan something. Flagpole Knob in VA could be ideal, but I'm sure there are others operating up there since it's so popular. I'd like to do a 2B or 3B entry. PM me if you're interested for next year.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
49:1 transformer at the feed point and I have a choke at the radio.
It was a fun little project. I also may use a linked dipole for 10m, 15m, 20m, and 40m when I don't have room for the EFHW.
I end up using a Hustler vertical mounted on a ground stake with a radial or two. I swap the resonator when changing bands.

I use a K2 when in my teardrop. One May a few years ago, I worked W9IMS on 20m with that. The operator on the other side was stunned I broke through the pileup. With 15 watts.

NJRadioGuy

Rank V

Influencer II

West Caldwell, NJ, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Dougherty
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2IRT
I'd like to try a CrankIR from SteppIR sometime. I've heard good things about them, and they pack up small(ish). I sold my old IC-7000 and I'm a bit relunctant to take my K3s out of the shack but for a good mountaintip FD I'd give it a shot. Or I'll look into an IC-7300.