Parole, MD, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Turner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3SVJ
KC3SVJ checking in from Annapolis, MD. Passed my Technician exam last night.

Two weeks ago I bought a Boafeng uv-5r just to see what I could hear. Figured out how to find and listen to repeaters, then got frustrated that I couldn't talk back . So last week I started using hamstudy.org a couple of hours a day until I hit their 100% apptitude score. I probably don't know the full material that well, but it prepared me very well to pass the test! I've ordered the ARRL ham study guide so I can actually learn the material now. If you want to get your Technician, it's absolutely doable in a week or two.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
KC3SVJ checking in from Annapolis, MD. Passed my Technician exam last night.

Two weeks ago I bought a Boafeng uv-5r just to see what I could hear. Figured out how to find and listen to repeaters, then got frustrated that I couldn't talk back . So last week I started using hamstudy.org a couple of hours a day until I hit their 100% apptitude score. I probably don't know the full material that well, but it prepared me very well to pass the test! I've ordered the ARRL ham study guide so I can actually learn the material now. If you want to get your Technician, it's absolutely doable in a week or two.
Congratulations, yes very easy to learn the material in a very short amount of time for both General and Technician. Now you need to get your HF privileges:)

Reactions: 12poundtest

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
K5NGM

2 m & 80 cm Yaesu FTM400-XDR
80cm? Am I missing info about a new band coverd by the FTM-400XDR. I thought it was a 2m/70cm only rig… didn’t know it covered 80cm as well… or did you mean 80m? Even then the 400XDR doesn’t cover the HF bands.

btw, just hackling your feathers. Congratulations on getting your ticket. And nice radio… it’s on my very short list of radios I need to get…