First Name
David
Last Name
Vonderhaar
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LNT
KN6LNT

Currently only have the Anytone AT-D87 handheld and the starter Baofeng.

New ham with limited time on the PTT, but maybe that will change now that I am combining HAM with OVERLANDING interests.

With the primary purpose of HAM radio being for HAM radio people to talk about HAM radio and not much else, I tuned out a bit.

Last edited:

Oranger

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hastings, MN, USA
First Name
Dylan
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZAU
KN6LNT

Currently only have the Anytone AT-D87 handheld and the starter Baofeng.

New ham with limited time on the PTT, but maybe that will change now that I am combining HAM with OVERLANDING interests.

With the primary purpose of HAM radio being for HAM radio people to talk about HAM radio and not much else, I tuned out a bit.
Listened to a couple chaps today talk about one having two auto tuners fighting because they did not read the manuals...

KE0ZAU

Yaesu FTM-400XDR
Yaesu FT3D

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I just passed the Technician exam Saturday and got my call sign this morning - KO4PPV.

Now I need to get a radio........
Congrats! By the way, here in the communications sub-forum you will find many suggestions for various HAM setups in the rig and correct installation. If you have any questions, there are many experienced HAMs who are sure to be helpful!

gjkoenig

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger III

NJ, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Koenig
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UQW
KD2UQW
Lodi, NJ

Baofeng UV-5RTP w/upgraded Diamond SRJ77CA Antenna

Fairly new to HAM, have electronics and mechanical engineering background.
I don't listen to HAM much because everyone only seems to talk HAM and nothing else...

SaskSilver17

Rank II

Contributor III

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Schmidt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE5 PPR
VE5 PPR, Prairie Pine Railroad
Been a ham for about 10 years, but have only a little bit of experience with them. I have a Yaesu Vx-8dr HT radio, and am looking for some advice on putting a 2m rig in my truck. Budget friendly, and am wondering what features work and what are just salesmanship.
Would like to stay with the same brand, but am open to some ideas,
Also, looking for mounting ideas for a 17 era Silverado, when I got it, everyone seemed to be struggling on how to route cables, but I have seen a few posted.

Thanks in advance!

Derek

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Been a ham for about 10 years, but have only a little bit of experience with them. I have a Yaesu Vx-8dr HT radio, and am looking for some advice on putting a 2m rig in my truck. Budget friendly, and am wondering what features work and what are just salesmanship.
Also, looking for mounting ideas for a 17 era Silverado, when I got it, everyone seemed to be struggling on how to route cables, but I have seen a few posted.

Thanks in advance!

Derek
For a budget Yaesu 2 meter rig, the FT/-2980 is hard to beat... but it has several shortcomings for Overlanding... main one is it’s single band. I find myself using both 2m and 70cm when out on trail rides. The other shortcoming is the ability to easily program repeaters on the fly. But seriously worth the look for $145.00

Personally I would look at a radio that does more than just 2m. The Yaesu FT400XDR ia a solid choice for Overlanding due to its APRS capabilities... or spend about $50 more and go with the Kenwood 710g to have access to the TNC inorder to be able to send out packet email...
we had a guy stranded last week in Northern Idaho and the only way he could get help was to send out emails via packet radio to his boss and to the towing company... so for me packet is almost more important than phone especially if going solo.

Contributor II

East Tennessee
First Name
James
Last Name
vvvvv
First call sign was KD4IQY in 1992

Currently N4EGA Care to guess the EGA?

Equipment? Revolving door for me.

Used to do all the nerdy ham radio stuff. Now just use what is in the Jeep. Have help many get their license over the years. Also do installs for people in East Tennessee.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs

Thanks in advance!

Derek
Search these forums and you will find a lot of great info and opinions on "my first ham radio". If you have specific questions ask. Welcome!
A radio with a detachable faceplate will provide you with more mounting options. Can't help you with the cabling ;)

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Search these forums and you will find a lot of great info and opinions on "my next ham radio". If you have specific questions ask. Welcome!
A radio with a detachable faceplate will provide you with more mounting options. Can't help you with the cabling ;)