edward
Last Name
Rembert
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8YMT
Service Branch
USCG veteran
K0ROM here. Been a Ham operator for 11 years. Still carry a CB for when I lead trails and not everyone has a HAM. HAM is soo much better
KD8YMT here been a Ham for about 5 years now and love it ! I too still have a CB in the truck just in case

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

@06tacodude congrats on obtaining your Tech license. Feel free to post any questions you may have in the main commo forum. No judgement, we are here to help.
The Yaesu FTM-400 is popular due to it's reduced price point but the Kenwood TM-D710G is known for doing APRS a little better if you want to view the received stations on a map (phone/tablet) but it looks like it's still stuck in the 80s, ICOM doesn't offer a radio with APRS per se.

As far as Echolink goes, if you are an Android user hopefully this will help. I have heard that the IOS version is similar enough as well. Echolink App (Android)

06tacodude

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Morgan Hill, California, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Alarcon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GLP
@06tacodude congrats on obtaining your Tech license. Feel free to post any questions you may have in the main commo forum. No judgement, we are here to help.
The Yaesu FTM-400 is popular due to it's reduced price point but the Kenwood TM-D710G is known for doing APRS a little better if you want to view the received stations on a map (phone/tablet) but it looks like it's still stuck in the 80s, ICOM doesn't offer a radio with APRS per se.

As far as Echolink goes, if you are an Android user hopefully this will help. I have heard that the IOS version is similar enough as well. Echolink App (Android)
I DLd the iPhone Echolink app, did the verification process and was able to save *USA-GNG* to my favorites list; did a quick PTT trial. Seems like you have to tap to 'Transmit' then tap again to 'End Transmit'. Will try to get on the Friday OB HAM Radio weekly net.
Will be reading up more on echolink and how it works.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I DLd the iPhone Echolink app, did the verification process and was able to save *USA-GNG* to my favorites list; did a quick PTT trial. Seems like you have to tap to 'Transmit' then tap again to 'End Transmit'. Will try to get on the Friday OB HAM Radio weekly net.
Will be reading up more on echolink and how it works.
That is a common problem people have the first time they connect in.

Reactions: Downs and TerryD

Enthusiast III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Max
Last Name
Astor
Ham/GMRS Callsign
N4TRD
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Hello everyone, I received my amateur radio license in 1983. KA8WGH, General Class. I used to really be active with code on HF back in the day, but home owner associations and life just killed the hobby. Before kids, I had several Jeeps, did a lot of 4-wheelin’ ——— and now that kids are out of the house, I purchased a Tacoma. Getting into overlanding.

All my ham radio gear has been stored for 20+ years. Just today, I installed my 25 year old Yaesu FT-5100, ran antenna coax to the rear bed mounted Comet antenna. I had an issue with the power cables - too short. LoL, I ordered new ones. So many things have changed, it is so high tech.

I have run mobile HF 30 years ago with the old Hustler ugly single huge coil antennas. I still have my ICOM mobile rig, but it it is huge compared to all the new detachable face rigs. Anyway, I signed up for the EchoLink on iPad and it is a little frustrating, I scanned my license, but they want an official copy from the FCC site. I do not know my password for the FCC site and locked myself out, so I am waiting for FCC IT password support reset....... Oh yeah, I will probably do a vanity call sign and for “4” area as soon as I get around to it........