Burbank, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6FCS
Hey folks! I passed my Technician license last month and I'm finally getting around to installing my radios! I've been listening on a Baofeng UV-5R for a few months and now I'm putting on my big boy pants with the FTM-400 XDR and the FT3D, both from Yaesu. My new call sign is KN6FCS. Looking forward to my first contact and to diving deeper into this crazy rabbit hole. Thanks to everyone for all the great info here on OB.

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Hey folks! I passed my Technician license last month and I'm finally getting around to installing my radios! I've been listening on a Baofeng UV-5R for a few months and now I'm putting on my big boy pants with the FTM-400 XDR and the FT3D, both from Yaesu. My new call sign is KN6FCS. Looking forward to my first contact and to diving deeper into this crazy rabbit hole. Thanks to everyone for all the great info here on OB.
1. There is an OB net that we have on EchoLink every Friday night, so come join us if you can. There is an EchoLinkk app for Android and iPhone as well as a program for your computer that can be downloaded from their website. You can also check in via plain old RF if you have an EL capable repeater in your area after you get your radios set up. Just make sure you have permission to use it with EL first, because the repeater trustee may not want it tied up for the hour or so that the nets tend to run. Below is some info to get you started:

Time : 5:30PM Pacific Time /8:30PM Eastern Time on Friday nights

Where : Echolink Node 591550 (USA-GNG) known also as Grits N Gravy, DMR TG 1137550 and Allstar 41130

Anyone can listen only here www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/29437/web

2. Great EchoLink setup tutorial by @Prerunner1982 . It is for Android, but iPhone is very similar, so this will give you the gist: EchoLink setup. Setup on a computer is pretty straight forward.

3. There are also TWO threads that we, the Net Controllers, cross-post into with notes from each week's net so everyone can go back and see what was discussed: HERE and HERE The second one covers all the way back to the end of 2018 when we started. We began to cross-post after people started loosing track of what was where and hopefully will be able to get the treads merged at some point. Until then, just check both for info.

WELCOME TO THE HOBBY!

Shane, K5TIN

ETA, the first Friday of each month is New Ham Net Q&A, so if you're set up by NEXT Friday come on in and ask any ham radio questions you may have. We've got everyone from Techs to Extras and noobs to old hands in the group, so we should be able to point you in the right direction if you need it. Remember, there are NO dumb questions and we were ALL new once!

Last edited:

Tex.Proud

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Huntsville, TX, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Gills
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K4TXN
Service Branch
Army Veteran
Ryan K4TXN here...(General Class)

I'll have to check out the OB net via echolink or DMR with my Pi-Star hotspot.

Run a Yaesu FTM-400 XDR in the Tacoma with NMO drilled in the roof. Need to replace a board in the Icom IC-7000 to get it back in with the Little Tarheel HP.

I play with D-Star, DMR, and YSF through a hotspot and Wires-X via PC or our local repeater.

Look forward to meeting fellow HAM's on the trail.

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
Ryan K4TXN here...(General Class)

I'll have to check out the OB net via echolink or DMR with my Pi-Star hotspot.

Run a Yaesu FTM-400 XDR in the Tacoma with NMO drilled in the roof. Need to replace a board in the Icom IC-7000 to get it back in with the Little Tarheel HP.

I play with D-Star, DMR, and YSF through a hotspot and Wires-X via PC or our local repeater.

Look forward to meeting fellow HAM's on the trail.
Hope to hear you on the Echolink soon. I run the 400 also and love it.

Brent W7BR

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Off-Road Ranger I

Monterey County, CA
First Name
Dylan
Last Name
Krone
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AQQ
General class operator here, KM6AQQ. I've had my license for a few years, but I haven't used it as much as I should. Reason being is only having a Baofeng BF-F9. Someday I'll get my Elecraft KX3. I fell in love with that radio when I worked for Elecraft for a few months via a temp agency. It's just such a versatile and compact package!

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Walnut

Rank 0
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Covington, WA, USA
First Name
Zane
Last Name
Holmes
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7SYA
Figured I should post here as I usually lurk around on OB it seems. I've had my tech license for a few years now, and mainly use it as a back-up comm for when I'm out running solo. Not many guys I usually run trips with have a HAM license, mostly just cb.
Current radios are a Kenwood tm V71A dual band in the rig, Icom 2300h as a cheap base at the house and a broken Baofeng handheld.
Hope to meet/connect with more local overland/offroad HAMs in the Washington State area. I frequent central and eastern WA during the summer months.

Cheers and 73, Zane
KI7SYA