Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
I will give this a whirl. I have both a hand held as well as a unit mounted in my rig. I bought both from HRO. Yaesu is the brand. Apparently I have good equipment, but it seems complicated to me. I’ll definitely try to find you guys. Sounds like fun!
You'll really enjoy the Yaesu's. They look intimidating at first, but are cake after you get the hang of them. Especially the FTM-400.

Reactions: whiskey7backroads

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Try talking to a local club and see if somebody would help. I did that and learned more from an Elmer in ten minutes then I did from reading books for hours. I also have Yaesu so I might be able to help. I have an FTM400 in my Earthcruiser and a FX70 Handheld.
Check you tube as well, there are some really good tutorials on there. Look for a guy from the UK, he’s kinda dry but his info is great!

Sarge368

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Darby, MT
First Name
John
Last Name
Branham
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7ECC
KG7ECC John from Gig Harbor Washington. I have a Yaesu VX-7R handheld for hiking and and FT-8800 mounted in my Jeep. I use them a bit but not nearly enough. I haven't convinced the guys I go wheeling with to get on them yet even though they put CBs to shame. I don't have an HF rig yet but am hoping to have one by the end of this year. Attached is a picture of the FT-8800 after a dusty trip over Naches Pass Trail.

Attachments

Billthemedic

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Long Island
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N2WMF
New member here. Name is Bill, N2WMF. I have a Yaesu 857D in my Jeep and I’m able to operate on all bands from 80m-70cm. I’m wondering why more Overlanders don’t use HF mobile. On Long Island beaches we have very poor LÓS communications. We usually use 20-25 watts on 40 meters and have great coverage.

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
New member here. Name is Bill, N2WMF. I have a Yaesu 857D in my Jeep and I’m able to operate on all bands from 80m-70cm. I’m wondering why more Overlanders don’t use HF mobile. On Long Island beaches we have very poor LÓS communications. We usually use 20-25 watts on 40 meters and have great coverage.
I am looking at that radio for exact purpose. What antenna are you using? Make sure to attend the Friday Night NET's. The information is under the Rally Points and also a sticky on its own thread. Welcome to OB! Brent KJ7BHN

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
KN6AET - Todd checking in from San Jose, CA. Just got my license last week. Still need a radio. Considering the Kenwood 710G or the Yaesu FTM 400 since I am interested in APRS. I , too, am a bit overwhelmed with figuring out how to get started.
Hey Todd Congratulations on ur license. My wife and I (KM6YKV) got our Licenses about three months ago. We purchased the FTM-400’s and are very happy with them.

Still trying to figure them out but it has been fun and there are a ton of videos on YouTube University.

Check the Rally Point events for our Overland Bound Ham meetup. The wife and I get on there with other members, it’s a great place to learn and meet other OB members!

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
KN6AET - Todd checking in from San Jose, CA. Just got my license last week. Still need a radio. Considering the Kenwood 710G or the Yaesu FTM 400 since I am interested in APRS. I , too, am a bit overwhelmed with figuring out how to get started.
Welcome, both radios are awesome. See you on the Friday night NET Brent KJ7BHN

SFarrell

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reservoir, North, Newport News, VA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Farrell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE4WMF
Hello,

KE4WMF here. I use an Icom ID-5100A as my only rig. I need to get the ID-51 companion HT for portable use. I'm the type of ham who likes the installation challenge (clean installation is my goal) more than actually talking on the radio. HAHA! I think talking in a group off-road would be fun.

Scott

Reactions: 64Trvlr and TerryD

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Greetings KE4WMF and KE0KZH! Feel free to join us in the Overland Bound echolink net tonight. We meet every Friday evening at 1730 Pacific / 2030 Eastern. Details can be found in the net forum thread.

73 - Ed - N7PHY

Reactions: 64Trvlr