Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Thank you! Had my first contact the other morning on the way to work. Still learning. The ham radio community is so welcoming
That's awesome! We have a Overland Bound net every Friday evening on the EchoLink network. You are very welcome to join us. Details are in the forum thread.

Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions. 73 - Ed N7PHY

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
That's awesome! We have a Overland Bound net every Friday evening on the EchoLink network. You are very welcome to join us. Details are in the forum thread.

Still hafta figure out how to get on the echolink network. But thank you! I will try to listen in

JeffersonJHunt

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

St. Louis, MO, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0KZH
Greetings KE4WMF and KE0KZH! Feel free to join us in the Overland Bound echolink net tonight. We meet every Friday evening at 1730 Pacific / 2030 Eastern. Details can be found in the net forum thread.

73 - Ed - N7PHY
I'll be sure to catch the next one. Looking forward to it!

Sarge368

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Darby, MT
First Name
John
Last Name
Branham
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7ECC

12poundtest I am in the Puget Sound Region also. Do you use a local repeater to get on Echolink? If so, which one? I tried out the Overland Bound net once using Echolink on my iPhone and that was unsatisfactory. I am able to hit the Green Mountain, Gold Mountain, Tiger Mountain, Grass Mountain, Baw Faw, and Capital Peak (plus some other local ones). Have you used any of these to connect to Echolink and the Net via radio?

Thanks for any suggestions.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
12poundtest I am in the Puget Sound Region also. Do you use a local repeater to get on Echolink? If so, which one? I tried out the Overland Bound net once using Echolink on my iPhone and that was unsatisfactory. I am able to hit the Green Mountain, Gold Mountain, Tiger Mountain, Grass Mountain, Baw Faw, and Capital Peak (plus some other local ones). Have you used any of these to connect to Echolink and the Net via radio?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Hi Sarge368.
I use direct connect via the home PC. I’ve heard the phone app can be a challenge. I’m not aware any repeater connections in our area but it’s on my list to investigate. Will likely have to talk a repeater owner into linking up with the EchoLink node for the duration of our net.
Ed - N7PHY

Reactions: Sarge368

JzzR83

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Savage, MN
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0VFV
KE0VFV here.

Took the test on Saturday and just checked for the call sign last night. I have yet to speak to anyone, nor do I have a clue what to do....

I picked up the cheapo Baofang UV-82HP just to learn on before I decide on what to get next. I decided to do this because of all of you on these forums and the darn youtubers telling us to get HAM radios instead of CB.

I programmed about 15 local repeaters last night and does not seem like to many people are using them, or I programmed it wrong.

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
KE0VFV here.

Took the test on Saturday and just checked for the call sign last night. I have yet to speak to anyone, nor do I have a clue what to do....

I picked up the cheapo Baofang UV-82HP just to learn on before I decide on what to get next. I decided to do this because of all of you on these forums and the darn youtubers telling us to get HAM radios instead of CB.

I programmed about 15 local repeaters last night and does not seem like to many people are using them, or I programmed it wrong.
Download chirp on the computer if you haven’t already. Has built in repeaterbook for all your repeaters and some other stuff that make programming the radio very easy

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
If your testers were ARRL VEC, then it'll be about 10 days to 2 weeks until you get your call. ARRL sends their results via snail mail to the CT HQ and then its sent to the FCC in electronic batches after its all checked. Patience young Jedi...

ETA: If you put your email address on the Form 605, you MAY get an email from the FCC when it is granted. Once that happens, log onto the ULS and download/print the "Official Copy" of your license. You're then good to go.

Last edited:

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
KE0VFV here.

Hello KE0VFV .
First off, congratulations and welcome to the HAM radio community! There is a lot to digest at first so try not to get discouraged with radio setup, etc. The chirp program mentioned above is a great way to program the VHF/UHF radios. You may need a special cable for your BF radio but they can be found inexpensively on Amazon, etc. There is a lot of great people here if you need help with anything.
And when you are ready, check out the OB Friday evening net on EchoLink. There is a forum where you can find the details for hooking up.

Ed - N7PHY

Reactions: SashaLee

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Just thought I would check in.

KE0VJR General

Taking my extra in a week. Just missed it the first time by one question. I work in communications so the tech part was easy, I just had 4 hours to study. Maybe if I get through the study guide all the way I can get at least one more question right... WTF is a ZEP antenna???? ;-)

Last edited: