Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Just thought I would check in.

KE0VJR General

Taking my extra in a week. Just missed it the first time by one question. I work in communications so the tech part was easy, I just had 4 hours to study. Maybe if I get through the study guide all the way I can get at least one more question right... WTF is a ZEP antenna???? ;-)

Last edited:

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Just thought I would check in. How do you add your call sign to your banner on the left?
Looks like you got it figured out!

Taking my extra in a week. Just missed it the first time by one question. I work in communications so the tech part was easy, I just had 4 hours to study. Maybe if I get through the study guide all the way I can get at least one more question right... WTF is a ZEP antenna???? ;-)
I'm sure you will pass it. Good luck though.
When I first started my venture into the ham radio hobby I thought I would be fine with General, I mean it gives you most of the frequency range for each band....... and then the DX I wanted was in the Extra portion. :unamused: After 5 years as a General I upgraded to Extra.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Just took and passed my Extra Class this evening. I only missed one question. I went from no license to an Extra ticket in 2 weeks.

It does help that I have worked in commercial communications for years.

73!

KE0VJR
Congrats!

How much more involved would you say it is to get your General or Amateur Extra, as far as additional content that you have to be familiar with? I just got licensed as a Technician a few weeks ago. Was wondering if it'd be worthwhile to just keep working towards the higher certifications while I'm at it.

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Congrats!

How much more involved would you say it is to get your General or Amateur Extra, as far as additional content that you have to be familiar with? I just got licensed as a Technician a few weeks ago. Was wondering if it'd be worthwhile to just keep working towards the higher certifications while I'm at it.
Great Job

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Great Job
That is a somewhat complex question. I am an electrical engineer with decades of experience in the commercial/military/space field and communications.

For me it pretty easy. The test is a pretty good test of overall electronics and RF knowledge coupled with antenna design. It goes into a lot of communications protocols and the reasons behind them. In order to gain that knowledge is not trivial.

The other side of the coin is that they publish every single test question in the pool of questions that are selected somewhat by random. You can pass the test by simply memorizing the several hundred questions. While not an easy task, it is routinely done.

There are several study guides out there that can help with basic background teaching and practice, but for the General, if you have no electronics and RF knowledge, I figure you should spend a month or more with some familiar with the basics just to pass the General. The whole stated goal of the amateur radio setup is to teach and further the knowledge.

Reactions: TerryD

aahyut

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Bridgton, ME
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Biggers
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1NMW
For the general, I read the arrl book then took practice tests in my phone. I did this for about 2 weeks and passed comfortably.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Was wondering if it'd be worthwhile to just keep working towards the higher certifications while I'm at it.
Depends on what you want to do with ham radio. If you just want trail comms a Tech license is all you need.
If you think you might want to make it a hobby then absolutely get your General or Extra. VHF/UHF is ok, but to me HF is where the fun is.
Talking to other countries from my Jeep, setting up portable radios at camp, digital modes, contests, and much more. Fun stuff.