First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
Summits On The Air

Summarily, people go to geologically recognized summits and "activate" them. You post your activation dates, modes, and freq's on SOTAWatch for an approved peak/summit/mountain top. You can find those at SOTAMaps. Chasers like to collect summits. People that like to get out like to activate them.

Though you are required to achieve the summit by foot, it isn't unreasonable to be able to make it an Overland excursion.

Once I get my FT-450D, I would like to go up and work Sherman Peak.

Reactions: Robby

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
Ok, I Googled it, that sounds like a plan. I will have to get a mobile HF rig for Sept. At home I'm still running an old TS-830SE to a dipole...neither are good for DX like Summit on the air...
I wouldn't knock the rig for SOTA. I just wouldn't run it at 100% output. A lot of folks run QRP in order to not hump lots of power supply gear. IIRC, no generators allowed in SOTA, including vehicle alternators. Wind, solar, and battery only. I think. A lot of folks run very small QRP rigs. This guy packs his gear in on goats. I am interested in working the summits that are near vehicle accessible.

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
Only 20m? I know that is usually the busiest but I also like to hit 40 and even 10m. I have an old 11m beam I picked up for free. Gonna try 10m on it.
Club equipment. Not my set up. Maybe next year we'll go work Sherman Peak.......

Reactions: Robby
E

expeditionnorth

Our VT Allstar group will be up on Mt Tabor operating under my clubs call of WW1VT here in VT
we'll probably be a 3A operating from 80-6M if possible
hope to work you

Reactions: norseman and Robby