HAM Radio Call Sign Check-In Thread

• HTML tutorial

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
Greetings,

Kilo India Seven Bravo Papa X-Ray here. Although I applied for a pretty awesome vanity call sign and haven't heard back yet.

Hail me if you're in in the Reno area. We have a pretty good repeater net that reaches from Donner Summit to Sierra Buttes to Bridgeport.

-M

Chris460

Rank 0

Contributor I

KF5YMZ checking in.
Will spend some time testing my new J-Pole antenna for 2m / 70cm at the house. Maybe some activity on APRS. Also some SSB on 10m / 20m. Hope to see ya'll on the air or on the trail.

Reactions: WJ - Firefly

Robby

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tulare, Tulare County, California, United States
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Gill
Member #

ok, thought I'd write up a little list of my gear:
I am a Kenwood guy. I cut my teeth on a TS-520S (dip and peak, repeat), I feel Kenwood has the best receive audio of the major brands. Yaesu comes in a close second. I also have a TS-830SE, TS-130SE, and a TS-50S. I use a Jetstream (chinese) 2m-70cm in my rig for comms on the trail. I like the ability to program the FRS/GMRS frequencies as well as ham band. I carry a Baofeng HT, for portable, for the same reason as the Jetstream in the rig. I have recently come into ownership of a couple QRP rigs which are CW only. I guess I better brush up on my code. These would be great DX rigs for trail operations. You never know when you're going to need them. I have a Motorola Desktrak for my desk 2m. I have finally decided to break down and install a CB in the Overland Rig for trail comms because of the popularity of the band. I have always had that pretentious attitude of being better than a CB user. The attitude owned by many hams because of the elevated status of having passed a test to operate. I have recently come to the conclusion that attitude is dumb. I can use a CB without feeling like less of an operator...lol

Those are my transceivers, now my antennae are usually Dipoles made by yours truly. They are the easiest antenna to make and install. I have had the best luck with them and the longest range. I have ran a modified dipole, made it a Delta Loop and had excellent QSOs with that as well. My desk 2m rig has a diamond knock off vertical which has netted some nice 2m ssb QSOs on only 10W...those were good times. I have also managed a Russian QSO on a long wire, literally just thrown into a tree.

I feel this hobby, like overlanding, and boat owning, are not fiscally friendly, however; they offer the most return spiritually and emotionally.

thats all for now,
73 de NQ6R

aearles

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

USA
N0MAD here, I thought it would be cool to snatch it up when it became available but now I'm a little embarrassed to call it out on the air, lol. I was KD8NQA before I started traveling full-time.

I'm just on VHF for now, and primarily just for vehicle to vehicle simplex, but I do plan to step up to general and get into HF if I can find some motivation or a buddy to do it with!

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

Evening guys n girls,

Guess I had better check-in as well
Not many OB members over here in UK - Let alone them having a Ham licence ;) (one can only guess)

M6EMT / 2E0LSR

Kev

dagen

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oakland, CA
Member #

Passed my technician test on 12.2 and just got my call sign KM6WMQ assigned yesterday. Applied last night for a vanity call sign, keeping my fingers crossed. . .

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
Passed my technician test on 12.2 and just got my call sign KM6WMQ assigned yesterday. Applied last night for a vanity call sign, keeping my fingers crossed. . .
Congratulations! Hope to hear you on the airwaves if you ever go HF!

Reactions: dagen

KyleGrant

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wichita, KS
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Soldani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KSØTOR
Hey all, noobie here on OB and working towards my General for travels :grinning:. I hope to make working DX from our stops along future trips the normal activity if we aren't exploring.

Checking in from Kansas, KD0LDK. Look forward to chatting!

Last edited: