louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
had 2 of them. used one on construction sites airing up tires and they work well and last a long time. i messed up the base on one unit and it still worked fine...just had to hold it by the handle when using. i have no problem recommending one

have extra fuses. i used the cheap blade fuses and since the unit pulls a lot of amps, i did have to replace fuses ever so often...especially on bigger tires i had running 90psi. the compressor aired it up ok and got pretty hot and worked hard to hit 90psi

Contributor III

Philippines
First Name
James
Last Name
Smith
Anyone use the harbor freight 12v 150psi compressor? If so how well does it work and would you recomend it.
Thank you!
I actually picked up the Harbor Freight 12V 150 PSI compressor a while back, and I gotta say, it's been a pretty handy little tool for me. I mainly use it to inflate my car tires and some inflatable stuff like pool toys and air mattresses. It's not the most powerful compressor out there, but for my needs, it gets the job done. I've found it to be fairly reliable and easy to use. The only thing I'd recommend is keeping an eye on the duty cycle, as it can get a bit warm with prolonged use. But all in all, I'd say it's a decent option for the price. Hope that helps, buddy!

Reactions: baconaz

hey_poolboy

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Peoria, IL, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Robertson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Maximus
I know you asked specifically about the HF compressor. I was looking at that one, but just ordered this one from NAPA instead. Dual compressor and great reviews.
Mine should be in tomorrow, so we'll see.....
Let me know how it works!
I dropped tire pressure tonight just to check it out. It took my 33's from 14 to 35 in ~50 seconds. We normally run 32, so I overshot a bit. It didn't get overly warm either.
I plan to set it up with a splitter and latching ends so I can do two tires at a time.

baconaz

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Bacon
I know you asked specifically about the HF compressor. I was looking at that one, but just ordered this one from NAPA instead. Dual compressor and great reviews.
Let me know how it works!
I dropped tire pressure tonight just to check it out. It took my 33's from 14 to 35 in ~50 seconds. We normally run 32, so I overshot a bit. It didn't get overly warm either.
I plan to set it up with a splitter and latching ends so I can do two tires at a time.
Awesome thank you!

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS

For stock or stockish sized tires, the HF compressor works just fine. If you have larger than stock tires it'lls till work just take longer. It does have a small donut shaped filter under the grey cover on the end, so make sure you service it everyonce in a while. I actually put some foam filter oil on mine.

I've got that from when it was "Maxtrac" or whatever. It was orange. Scored it for 80 dollars when it was flying off the shelves It's a pretty massive compressor. Probably about 1/3 the size of a 5 gallon jerry can. If you have the space, it's amazing and fast but I never bring it with me because of it's size. I use it around the house to air up mower tires and whatnot.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I have had one of the HF 12volt compressors for about 3 years, they work well for filling tires under 33" diameter. Mine has been used to air up 3 rigs in a row, compressor head was so hot you couldn't touch it, lol. Just be aware that the pressure gauge doesn't read accurately with the compressor running. But switch off the compressor and it gives a decently accurate reading, certainly accurate enough to get tire pressure up to a safe highway level.

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
I had one. It worked but airing up 35’s took quite some time kys the time it took for it to cool down before I could stow it away. If you get one I learned that if you turn it on PRIOR to putting on valve stem it’ll save you the hassle of popping fuses. The instant load of hooking up then turning on blew fuses every time for me. I now have a VIAIR constant duty and the MORRflate 4-tire inflate/deflate set up and absolutely love it.

Oberon

Rank I

Contributor III

New York, NY, USA
First Name
Evan
Last Name
Carson
I needed something small and compact that would air up my 80 psi truck and rv tires. Works great so far. I carry it in the back of my truck for emergencies. Those smaller 1-5 gallon compressors don't cut it for filling tires to 80psi and take way longer than this.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I’ve had one for 10 years now and it still works , takes a while to fill a 35 but it works . Make sure you leave the rig running when using it and also turn it on before you hook it to the tire . If you don’t it will overload the motor and pop a fuse . I have since switch to the Smitty built air compressor and do like it as it fills the tire a lot faster.

hrichard

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger III

Camden, DE, USA
First Name
HARRY
Last Name
RICHARD
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3UVV
I run a modded NAPA compressor with my flavor of air chucks and also carry a 5 gallon portable tank. I dont run a splitter, so the tank allows the compressor to cycle instead of short cycling trying to fill a tire. With the tank it will run air tools fairly effectively, not quite as well as my large shop compressor of course, but well enough to get you out of a jam.