160 Sienna Street, Morro Bay, San Luis Obispo County, California, United States
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Poggemann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRMP701
I will probably be up in the Wenas area camping and running trails this weekend. Do you guys have a set plan for when and where you're starting? Is this just a day trip or are you camping? Let me know what you're plans are and I if things work out I'll try to meet up with you somewhere along the trail.
I'd ike to camp a night or two.

Advocate III

King County, WA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Aurich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WREY362
@MrWilsonWJ and @parrotheadnw

I'll probably be going just for a day trip on Saturday. But there wouldn't be any harm in people joining and peeling off to go camping.

What's the procedure @Ties and others?
Should one of us create a rally point and add a route?
Or should we just make a proposal here and go with it?

I have not led a group before but have been on a few group runs and I've done parts of this area. I don't mind just putting a plan together for Saturday.

Ties

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Seattle
First Name
Ties
Last Name
de Kok
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7RJT
@MrWilsonWJ and @parrotheadnw

I'll probably be going just for a day trip on Saturday. But there wouldn't be any harm in people joining and peeling off to go camping.

What's the procedure @Ties and others?
Should one of us create a rally point and add a route?
Or should we just make a proposal here and go with it?

I have not led a group before but have been on a few group runs and I've done parts of this area. I don't mind just putting a plan together for Saturday.
Yeah I'll probably stick to a day trip as my plans for Sunday are still in flux, but that shouldn't prohibit anyone else from doing some camping afterward.

With regards to the rally point, we could create one but it might be easier to just stick with the people in this thread to avoid it becoming too large of a group with the logistical difficulties associated with that. But that is just my 2 cents.

I'd say the primary things we'd need to settle on are
  • A rough route (which I believe we have with the WABDR route portion)
  • A meetup point + time
  • A rough idea of who will join so we know who to wait for (+ a way for everyone to be able to reach each other in case something pops up when traveling)
Going south to north makes sense to me as well (i.e., but the longer drive up front), so we could maybe put the meetup point at the Exxon in Naches? Or maybe earlier (Yakima?) depending on where everyone is coming from.

Given that you've done part of this area @outside.perception it might make sense to leave you in charge of the "plan", maybe we can have everyone message you with their phone number if they are planning to join and then you can create a group chat with all the numbers so that we can all stay in the loop on Saturday? Once we are all assembled and on the move we can switch to GMRS obviously.

I'd be happy to take care of the phone numbers as well, whatever you prefer.

Advocate III

King County, WA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Aurich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
@Ties that sounds good, and I agree on not using Rally Point just yet.

I'll scan through the thread and find those that have expressed interest and start a private conversation group to work out the plan. If anyone else is interested and hasn't mentioned it yet, reply here or message me directly and I'll pull you into the private convo for this outing.

The basic plan is to meet up on the south side of the Wenas Wildlife area near the town of Naches and explore the area. We'll end the trip in Ellensburg. This will be a day trip, but those that want to peel off for camping are welcome to do so. Exact time, route, contacts, and meeting location will be worked out in the separate conversation.

Ties

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Seattle
First Name
Ties
Last Name
de Kok
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7RJT

I'll scan through the thread and find those that have expressed interest and start a private conversation group to work out the plan. If anyone else is interested and hasn't mentioned it yet, reply here or message me directly and I'll pull you into the private convo for this outing.

The basic plan is to meet up on the south side of the Wenas Wildlife area near the town of Naches and explore the area. We'll end the trip in Ellensburg. This will be a day trip, but those that want to peel off for camping are welcome to do so. Exact time, route, contacts, and meeting location will be worked out in the separate conversation.
Sounds great, thanks!

Hogman

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Everett, WA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Balsley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRHS363

Sounds great, thanks!
I'm interested, depending on work

Reactions: outside.perception

Haris

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Kirkland, WA, USA
First Name
Haris
Last Name
Husain
Member #

I’m in!

Reactions: outside.perception

Ties

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Seattle
First Name
Ties
Last Name
de Kok
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7RJT
As usual, didn't get the notification @Haris... Didn't spend much time (if any) on the OB forums recently.

I am playing with idea of maybe going out this Saturday to explore the Gifford Pinchot NF area near Elbe a bit more. I've been there a couple times over the winter but it was mostly snowed in so couldn't go far. I'll attach an example loop.

There still is a little uncertainty as to whether I'll be able to head out but I am putting it out here in case there is some interest in getting a small group together for some spontaneous exploring.

And yes, @Ubiety this is close to where you saved me from behind the gate haha. But this loop uses the open entrance without a gate, I am sure of that (I've been there multiple times).

Screenshot_20210721-222129_Gaia GPS.jpg

Hogman

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Everett, WA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Balsley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRHS363
As usual, didn't get the notification @Haris... Didn't spend much time (if any) on the OB forums recently.

I am playing with idea of maybe going out this Saturday to explore the Gifford Pinchot NF area near Elbe a bit more. I've been there a couple times over the winter but it was mostly snowed in so couldn't go far. I'll attach an example loop.

There still is a little uncertainty as to whether I'll be able to head out but I am putting it out here in case there is some interest in getting a small group together for some spontaneous exploring.

And yes, @Ubiety this is close to where you saved me from behind the gate haha. But this loop uses the open entrance without a gate, I am sure of that (I've been there multiple times).

View attachment 205067
I could be interested if there is enough interest

Advocate III

King County, WA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Aurich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I also missed the messages until just now, even though I was in the app recently. @torpay.yoto and I have a trip coming up with several people in mid-August. I have some family camping in early August and so I may not be available until late August.

I am planning to take my 2 younger boys out this Saturday, just hadn't decided what to do yet. Maybe Stampede Pass day trip. Gotta keep an eye on some of the areas getting closed due to the current fire concerns.

parrotheadnw

Rank V

Advocate III

160 Sienna Street, Morro Bay, San Luis Obispo County, California, United States
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Poggemann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRMP701

View attachment 205067
@Ties and @Hogman, I was looking at Gifford Pinchot area or the Naches Trail (with bypasses) and maybe stay the night somewhere. If DNR closed those areas, I may head towards the Olympics.

Haris

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Kirkland, WA, USA
First Name
Haris
Last Name
Husain
Member #

View attachment 205067
@Ties and @Hogman, I was looking at Gifford Pinchot area or the Naches Trail (with bypasses) and maybe stay the night somewhere. If DNR closed those areas, I may head towards the Olympics.
Ooh! I love the idea! Let me confirm with my wife.

Haris

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Kirkland, WA, USA
First Name
Haris
Last Name
Husain
Member #

View attachment 205067
I am confirmed available for Saturday. Let’s do it!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB