Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Speaking of chairs, what your recommendations?
I prefer this style of chair with a side table. Side table is invaluable when sitting around the campfire or eating or drinking a beverage and you need a place to set it down. I also find them to be more comfortable than other types of chairs. I purchased a FrontRunner chair recently but have not camped with it yet - it is very comfortable for me but lacks the side table.

The FrontRunner chair is very compact folded up, the side table chairs not so much.
1649191534307.png

Reactions: Shahn

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Anybody get out and do anything fun this weekend? We have been traveling via airline lately so took the opportunity for a low key weekend of doing camp prep and around-the-house stuff. I was able to get my second battery setup all finished up and did a little work on the embedded camp kitchen. Itching to get out into the wilder places!

Battery box/charger sitting in its nest
IMG_6726.jpeg

Cut up some diamond plate for magnetic attachment goodness. Kitchen cupboard is aluminum...
IMG_6730.jpeg

Canopy lights saw their first electrons! Continuing to ponder the kitchen cupboard ;)
IMG_6717.jpeg

Wonderful wife made some homemade Basque beans and salad, yummmmm. I am thinking this would be a fantastic camp dinner if prepped ahead of time. If you have the opportunity to eat Basque food you really should do it.
IMG_6727.jpeg

Reactions: parrotheadnw

parrotheadnw

Rank V

Advocate III

160 Sienna Street, Morro Bay, San Luis Obispo County, California, United States
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Poggemann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRMP701
Living out of boxes in the back of my Xterra has been a pain. This weekend I designed my drawer system and ordered drawer slides. Left side will have a tilt/slide for the cooler on top with a gear drawer below. Right side will have kitchen storage on top with a double slide for my Classic Coleman stove and more storage on the bottom.

1650895012251.png1650895252023.png

Reactions: Shahn and Ubiety

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Living out of boxes in the back of my Xterra has been a pain. This weekend I designed my drawer system and ordered drawer slides. Left side will have a tilt/slide for the cooler on top with a gear drawer below. Right side will have kitchen storage on top with a double slide for my Classic Coleman stove and more storage on the bottom.

View attachment 228766View attachment 228767
Looking good Charlie! After building several of this type of project the two biggest recomendations I can give are to use good quality drawer slides and latches, along with pocket screw joinery to attach the pieces together as it is far stronger than just screwing into the edge grain of the plywood. You can also cut fairly large rectangular openings in the bottom panel and the panel between the two sides of drawers to reduce weight without affecting overall strength. There is also a useful extension for sketchup called OpenCutList that will arrange your plywood parts and pieces to get the most of ouf plywood sheets. Looking forward to seeing the finished project at a meetup or trip.

parrotheadnw

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Poggemann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRMP701
Looking good Charlie! After building several of this type of project the two biggest recomendations I can give are to use good quality drawer slides and latches, along with pocket screw joinery to attach the pieces together as it is far stronger than just screwing into the edge grain of the plywood. You can also cut fairly large rectangular openings in the bottom panel and the panel between the two sides of drawers to reduce weight without affecting overall strength. There is also a useful extension for sketchup called OpenCutList that will arrange your plywood parts and pieces to get the most of ouf plywood sheets. Looking forward to seeing the finished project at a meetup or trip.
Thanks Dave and/or Michelle, it feels like you were looking over my shoulder. This was my first time using Sketchup and it was a pretty good experience. I really liked having the ability to find problems without wasting a bunch of plywood. 500#, 3" tall drawer slides are on their way (buy once, cry once). I have a pocket screw tool and will add glue to make the joints bullet proof. I'll gve OpenCutList a try. I used optiCutter and it wasn't the most user-friendly, but it did allow me to upload my parts list via Excel.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Thanks Dave and/or Michelle, it feels like you were looking over my shoulder. This was my first time using Sketchup and it was a pretty good experience. I really liked having the ability to find problems without wasting a bunch of plywood. 500#, 3" tall drawer slides are on their way (buy once, cry once). I have a pocket screw tool and will add glue to make the joints bullet proof. I'll gve OpenCutList a try. I used optiCutter and it wasn't the most user-friendly, but it did allow me to upload my parts list via Excel.
I do like sketchup but still have a lot of learning to do with it. I tend to use AutoCAD or one of my other cad programs for most designs as I work in those all day for my day job. I have found that sketch up has some pretty cool extensions in the warehouse and a lot of them are free. Cant remember the name, but had one that let you open and close cabinet doors and drawers that was pretty cool for virtual walkthru of projects. Also just found out that my rendering software I use has an extension for Sketchup so on my next build I can do photo realistic images (since i have so much extra time..lol) Now I just have to buy a 3D scanner so I can create a virtual model of the Jeeps interior, would make cutting templates easier.

Reactions: parrotheadnw

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I have been using Sketchup since about 2008. I really like the extensions… especially the material tool kit. You can load normal dimensional lumber and metals directly into your project. Another thing I use a lot is the 3D warehouse. You can find almost anything (such as drawer slides) already available to import.

parrotheadnw

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Poggemann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRMP701
I have been using Sketchup since about 2008. I really like the extensions… especially the material tool kit. You can load normal dimensional lumber and metals directly into your project. Another thing I use a lot is the 3D warehouse. You can find almost anything (such as drawer slides) already available to import.
Soooo much to learn on Sketchup!!!

Reactions: OTH Overland