Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Not sure what trails are open West of Ellensburgh but would love to get out in the next few weeks.
Got my winch interrupter and fuse wired up and attached to the bracket today; now I just need to install that into the truck for some winchy electrical safety ;)

Reactions: Ties

Hogman

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Everett, WA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Balsley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRHS363
Threw in the winch interrupter/fuse assembly this morning and will wire it up the rest of the way later on in the day once I feel like I have gotten a little more paying-work done ;)

View attachment 193781View attachment 193782
Nice work on the bracket, and the radius's are perfect! Personally, I just leave it not connected unless I'm wheeling, not the safest thing, but i have confidence in my install. BTW, finally finished the snap cap install with some cheap black vinyl wrap. Turned out pretty good I think. Look at the key door lock under the door handle. In the background is a fat old bald guy and a 2005 Mercedes SL 65 AMG.

Attachments

CJTherapy

Rank V

Enthusiast II

Port Hadlock, Wa
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Rice
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7PDR
Just found this thread! I've got a couple trips planned for this summer already but depending on the weekend I could be talked into doing an overnight or something. Now that I know this thread is here I'll keep checking back to see what other 'locals' are up to!

Advocate III

King County, WA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Aurich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WREY362
Threw in the winch interrupter/fuse assembly this morning and will wire it up the rest of the way later on in the day once I feel like I have gotten a little more paying-work done ;)

View attachment 193781View attachment 193782
What did you use for the bracket? I have the Warn winch interrupter as well and need to install it on my JLU. My winch is directly wired to my battery at the moment.

Reactions: Ubiety

Advocate III

King County, WA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Aurich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WREY362
Chinook Pass on SR 410 is getting cleared! Still lots of snow in the mountains, but it's good to see this pass getting opened up soon.

Reactions: Ties

Ties

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Seattle
First Name
Ties
Last Name
de Kok
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7RJT
Finally got the LR3 back from the mechanic, some elusive steering wobbles at highway speeds that they had a hard time figuring out. Cost me an arm and a leg but it is mostly gone now, so adventure-ready once again!

There has been talk here of going out exploring again, who is down? OB Notifications can be iffy, so let me ping everyone that commented in this thread before: @Ubiety @parrotheadnw @Hogman @outside.perception @mmp @Otis Porsche @CJTherapy

The relatively new satellite imagery maps on Gaia GPS have proven very useful these past weekends in determining snow levels (in addition to the NOAA snow level maps), so I am sure we can work around our current snow levels and find a suitable area for some exploring. We can figure out the area once we settle on a date I guess.

Unrelated, with a lot of map work and some back and forth emailing with the DNR people (got to make sure the gates won't close on me again @Ubiety lol) I was able to find this awesome camp spot not too far from Bellingham that was reachable by regular SUV while the LR was in the shop:

DJI_0020.jpg

Otis Porsche

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Missed the virtual campfire. We attended a training event that several SAR folks put on that included recovery training using our rigs and gear. They would rather train us than be called out to assist.
Depending on the date, we to would be interested in placing faces to names.

Reactions: Ubiety and Ties

mmp

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lugoff, SC, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Powell
Member #

Thanks for the ping. I have not been getting notifications. Maybe throw out a couple of dates and people can pick which ones work best.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Finally got the LR3 back from the mechanic, some elusive steering wobbles at highway speeds that they had a hard time figuring out. Cost me an arm and a leg but it is mostly gone now, so adventure-ready once again!

There has been talk here of going out exploring again, who is down? OB Notifications can be iffy, so let me ping everyone that commented in this thread before: @Ubiety @parrotheadnw @Hogman @outside.perception @mmp @Otis Porsche @CJTherapy

The relatively new satellite imagery maps on Gaia GPS have proven very useful these past weekends in determining snow levels (in addition to the NOAA snow level maps), so I am sure we can work around our current snow levels and find a suitable area for some exploring. We can figure out the area once we settle on a date I guess.

Unrelated, with a lot of map work and some back and forth emailing with the DNR people (got to make sure the gates won't close on me again @Ubiety lol) I was able to find this awesome camp spot not too far from Bellingham that was reachable by regular SUV while the LR was in the shop:

View attachment 195577
Sounds like fun! Sorry to hear that the LR has been hurting your wallet :(
Next weekend is out for me but would consider something quick well in advance of Memorial Day.

Reactions: M Rose and Ties

Ties

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Seattle
First Name
Ties
Last Name
de Kok
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7RJT
Good idea @mmp, here are some dates that aren't currently blocked on my calendar:

Sunday April 25th
Sunday May 2nd
Saturday May 8th
Sunday May 9th
Saturday May 15th
Sunday May 16th

Which weekend were you referring to @Ubiety? This weekend (i.e. April 24th/25th) or the weekend after that (i.e. May 1st /2nd)?

Any of these that would work for you @outside.perception @Otis Porsche?

I'll look around for some area suggestions, but if anyone has a suggestion that'd be great as well.

Otis Porsche

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Good idea @mmp, here are some dates that aren't currently blocked on my calendar:
Sunday April 25th
Sunday May 2nd
Saturday May 8th
Sunday May 9th
Saturday May 15th
Sunday May 16th
Assume this is to be two days over a weekend at a TBD place?
-Or- a meet-up somewhere?
Most any weekend in May works for us. Being retired during the week also works. We are also hoping to get to Spokane, Boise, and Bend to look at camp trailers in May too. Considering a Mission Summit, Kimberly, and Overkill trailers.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs

Sunday April 25th
Sunday May 2nd
Saturday May 8th
Sunday May 9th
Saturday May 15th
Sunday May 16th

Which weekend were you referring to @Ubiety? This weekend (i.e. April 24th/25th) or the weekend after that (i.e. May 1st /2nd)?

I'll look around for some area suggestions, but if anyone has a suggestion that'd be great as well.
This coming weekend, the 24th and 25th, will not work for me.
Anybody have any area preferences?

mmp

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lugoff, SC, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Powell
Member #

Sunday April 25th
Sunday May 2nd
Saturday May 8th
Sunday May 9th
Saturday May 15th
Sunday May 16th

I am available for all those except for May 2. It's my niece's birthday and my daughter would be upset if we missed it.

parrotheadnw

Rank V

Advocate III

160 Sienna Street, Morro Bay, San Luis Obispo County, California, United States
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Poggemann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRMP701

Sunday April 25th
Sunday May 2nd
Saturday May 8th
Sunday May 9th
Saturday May 15th
Sunday May 16th

@Ties, 4/25 and 5/2 would be great for a day trip. I'd be up for a couple nights out the weekend of 5/14 - 5/16. Is anyone interested in hitting a couple sections of the WABDR?

Ties

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Seattle
First Name
Ties
Last Name
de Kok
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7RJT
Let's see, looks like April 25th and May 2nd are difficult if we'd want everyone along and from what you are saying May 8th and 9th will be difficult for your @parrotheadnw?

That would point towards May 15th / 16th for either a day trip or potentially a one-nighter, would that be too close to memorial day for you @Ubiety or not an issue?

With regards to the WABDR, I think most sections won't be accessible for a while from what I gather from the FB groups, but I am not sure. There is a section just south of Ellensburg that is accessible (Durr road) but it isn't particularly long and won't allow for camping as far as I can tell:

1619144387358.png

parrotheadnw

Rank V

Advocate III

160 Sienna Street, Morro Bay, San Luis Obispo County, California, United States
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Poggemann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRMP701
Let's see, looks like April 25th and May 2nd are difficult if we'd want everyone along and from what you are saying May 8th and 9th will be difficult for your @parrotheadnw?

That would point towards May 15th / 16th for either a day trip or potentially a one-nighter, would that be too close to memorial day for you @Ubiety or not an issue?

With regards to the WABDR, I think most sections won't be accessible for a while from what I gather from the FB groups, but I am not sure. There is a section just south of Ellensburg that is accessible (Durr road) but it isn't particularly long and won't allow for camping as far as I can tell:

View attachment 195899
@Ties, confirmed. I have two family commitments the weekend of 5/8 and 5/9.

Sorry, I wasn't clear about WABDR. I was thinking about hitting sections 1, 2 and maybe 3 mid to late summer, but left that out. FYI, there is a Rally Point scheduled for 7/5 - 7/10 Washington Back Country Discovery Route July 5-10 2021 - Overland Bound