Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Well that sucks that you all did not get notification :( Notifications on OB are problematic...

You all missed out! @Ties and I had a FANTASTIC time - we saw the old campsite, ventured up that spur road that took off near the campsite and headed up into the hills and found some pretty good snow and found a bunch of nice looking new camp spots. The downside is that even on an inclement February day the trail was full of cars. Maybe its sane at night on a Wednesday when fireballs and covid are falling from the sky ;)
Attached some pics and the GPX file from our adventure (no gates!)

Snow! Within about a mile it went from rain and no snow to 8 inches and dumping.
BE9BE9F3-0530-444D-AEB5-D8F50679F577_1_105_c.jpegE029897B-3CE2-4E2B-8F15-44D7461D89DC_1_105_c.jpeg

Stopped before the first bridge and on the second bridge
7DC345D9-DB98-4D0F-A2A9-EFEBF1751AFA_1_105_c.jpegC1F0B0B2-63F0-47DA-869A-5521BFD3EAAC_1_105_c.jpeg

The "old" near and dear camp spot at a different time of year
FEC7FDE8-8FE7-4328-960B-32E9D1A4316A_1_105_c.jpeg23FEF4E1-2554-4280-897F-6D5ED1D3AD3C_1_105_c.jpeg

Spur road (hope @Ties has some pics) - pretty rough and pinstripe heaven. Spend a good portion driving with two wheels in a creek and the other two up higher on solid ground. Over a couple nerve wracking small washouts leading over a cliff of doom. Turned around at a "wide spot". Rougher stuff.
62708C76-39D0-49D0-B3DE-6CDD954ACA70_1_105_c.jpegF16E265B-A018-44D1-AA5F-63037817A34C_1_105_c.jpeg

"New" camp spots on the loop. In GPX file. Almost a pano :)
50DE4CC7-17AD-44A8-B133-A23AD863E3D1_1_105_c.jpeg060555A0-6083-4D66-8BE4-74CCA1D884EF_1_105_c.jpeg

GPX viewer

Attachments

Ties

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Seattle
First Name
Ties
Last Name
de Kok
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7RJT
That is too bad about those notifications @Hogman and @parrotheadnw , gives us a good reason to venture out again soon to make up for that. :wink: Something was definitely weird because I was actively monitoring the thread to wait for Greg his reply, and the reply didn't show up on the app at all until the next day. Might have to switch to the browser version on my phone to avoid that in the future.

Definitely tons of fun! Here are some pictures/clips from my end. I've left the sound in there to validate Greg his claim about pinstriping :tearsofjoy:

20210207_125523.jpg

20210207_134433.jpg20210207_134830.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Everybody hanging in there with the snow? Blowing hard here and have had a few power glitches - just down long enough to kill the computer and freak everybody out. Hahaha. Just took the truck out for a spin and never got out of 2wd - a lot of bare spots on the road where the wind has blown it clear of snow. Wife's AWD out for its inaugural run next :)

@outside.perception posted an interesting trip report. Want to go hit this once the snow melts off and the roads open back up?

Hope you all have a fun and safe weekend! Wish the wind would die down and the snow would come down harder!

Reactions: outside.perception

Advocate III

King County, WA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Aurich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WREY362
Everybody hanging in there with the snow? Blowing hard here and have had a few power glitches - just down long enough to kill the computer and freak everybody out. Hahaha. Just took the truck out for a spin and never got out of 2wd - a lot of bare spots on the road where the wind has blown it clear of snow. Wife's AWD out for its inaugural run next :)

@outside.perception posted an interesting trip report. Want to go hit this once the snow melts off and the roads open back up?

Hope you all have a fun and safe weekend! Wish the wind would die down and the snow would come down harder!
Thanks for helping me find this group! I'm working on contributing and getting more involved in the OB group. I'm usually up for Saturday outings and am hoping to plan a weekend camping trip in March.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Thanks for helping me find this group! I'm working on contributing and getting more involved in the OB group. I'm usually up for Saturday outings and am hoping to plan a weekend camping trip in March.
Welcome to the (virtual) campfire! No structure really, just a place for locals to chat, etc., etc., etc.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I just came across this. I just moved from Georgia to Olympia. Looking forward to getting to know the area and hopefully meet everyone.
Welcome! Get much snow in Olympia? I’m sure we will be itching to get out out again real soon.

What kind of, and where, do all y’all want to do for a day trip? I’d like to run @outside.perception’s Easton/Wenas route and do a bit of camping come spring. I have not done any exploring out South and East of Olympia and could be talked into hitting part of the WABDR this summer. But vacay time is already booked for me for the entire year so would need to keep to shorter duration trips.

How does everybody set up camp? Old pros or looking to learn? My wife is pushing for an RTT but I am not sure. I prefer sleeping under the stars on a cot but have learned the joys of a tent and the mr buddy little buddy heater ;)

Any big projects for your rigs?

Hope everybody has a safe and fun weekend! Did a little snow driving in my truck and wife’s car this morning and may go take the truck out again now that the roads are less busy.

@Ties - Julie just made more molasses cookies :)

Advocate III

King County, WA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Aurich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Anyone here with experience camping around the Potholes area near Moses Lake?

I'm planning to go this weekend for an overnighter and to explore a little. There looks to be several dispersed campsite options with a lot of dirt roads/hiking trails. The weather looks to be dry, but with cold nights/mornings.

Any issues, concerns, or things that would be good to know about the area?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Anyone here with experience camping around the Potholes area near Moses Lake?

I'm planning to go this weekend for an overnighter and to explore a little. There looks to be several dispersed campsite options with a lot of dirt roads/hiking trails. The weather looks to be dry, but with cold nights/mornings.

Any issues, concerns, or things that would be good to know about the area?
Send @Sandpoint Steve a DM, he is the member representative for the area up in the ML area.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
No kidding! Will be great once the weather gets a little nicer - and it has been hinting at it! Been doing little bits and pieces of work on the truck and it is ready to go! Maybe will get the winch cut-off solenoid and ginormous fuse mounted today. Next will be figuring out what to do under the canopy - its a "blank slate" now... We are getting ready for camping over Memorial Day weekend; been finalizing plans and ordering the last bits of expendables and stuff that needs replacement this morning.

Happy Easter!

Hogman

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Everett, WA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Balsley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRHS363
No kidding! Will be great once the weather gets a little nicer - and it has been hinting at it! Been doing little bits and pieces of work on the truck and it is ready to go! Maybe will get the winch cut-off solenoid and ginormous fuse mounted today. Next will be figuring out what to do under the canopy - its a "blank slate" now... We are getting ready for camping over Memorial Day weekend; been finalizing plans and ordering the last bits of expendables and stuff that needs replacement this morning.

Happy Easter!
Great to see this thread is still active. My jeep is ready and waiting for anything.

Hogman

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Everett, WA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Balsley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRHS363
Great to see this thread is still active. My jeep is ready and waiting for anything.
Well then, who wants to go for a weekender in the next few weekends? Want to see some of your upgrades!
I'd be up for it. Any ideas that aren't snow covered?

Advocate III

King County, WA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Aurich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Well then, who wants to go for a weekender in the next few weekends? Want to see some of your upgrades!
I'd be up for it. Any ideas that aren't snow covered?
Depending on the dates, I could be interested. For places without snow, just east of the Cascades has several options. I'm sure there are some lower wooded areas without snow as well.