GPS/Tablet

• HTML tutorial

KYRenegade858

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Nicholasville, KY
Member #

I use an 8in Samsung Tab 4. Backcountry navigator Pro, it has plenty of maps. I download and use the free Motor vehicle use maps from the National Forest service. I also have Avenza maps, use it for one map I paid for and not really impressed with it (the map) either. I also have a few weather related apps. Radar Alive! Pro and UAV Forcast. And I have several ham radio APRS apps I use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using OB Talk mobile app

KYRenegade858

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Nicholasville, KY
Member #

May want to consider power for it as well. I have two of these installed in the small area where the sport bar trim in my Wrangler meets the windshield. DROK 3A/15W Dual Power Adapter 8-22V to 5V Double USB Cable Connector Car Charger For IPhone/iPad/Nokia/HTC . Two of the USB ports are wired to my sun visors for phone charging. One is ran for my Garmin Nuvi and the fourth cable is ran down and is in the glove box. I can pull that one out for the tablet on the universal mount. Plus if I ever change phones or tablets I just have to unplug the cable and use a different one from the power supplies to the location I need it. I use a short cable on the drivers side and can unplug it easy to use an iPhone or any other usb cable I may need for power. I have a 6ft usb cable I have used to lay my phone on the fender and charge when out of the vehicle and need to listen for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: SteveR

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

IMG_20170101_122130425.jpg
Using a Samsun Galaxy Tab E 9.7" with a RAM Mount and Gaia. So far I'm liking the RAM Mount and Gaia. The Tab E is a good tablet, but I may switch over to the NEW iPad Pro 10.5" when it comes out this year.

jacks dad

Rank 0

Traveler I

Good evening gentlemen. I'm trying to figure out which type of device i need to buy for a GPS device. I'll either get a Samsung Galaxy or an iPad Pro, but could i get by with an iPad mini with just wifi? I already have an extra one i could use. Sorry for the new question but this is all new to me.

Thanks, Ty

chrispartida

Rank VI

Advocate II

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Partida
Member #

Good evening gentlemen. I'm trying to figure out which type of device i need to buy for a GPS device. I'll either get a Samsung Galaxy or an iPad Pro, but could i get by with an iPad mini with just wifi? I already have an extra one i could use. Sorry for the new question but this is all new to me.

Thanks, Ty
The wifi only iPads will need an auxiliary Bluetooth GPS receiver. I am running that setup using an iPad mini, along with a Bad Elf GPS Pro. It works pretty well, accuracy is good for my needs, and I've yet to run into any negative aspects.

-CP TACO
OB #2376

NW4XForester

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Federal Way WA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Bayer
Member #

I'm using an iPad mini 2 with cellular.
I have it mounted with a RAM POD I universal mount and X grip.
My only complaint is the X grip is a little wobbly. But nothing major.
I run HemaExplorer maps, Topo maps and Giai maps on it.
IMG_1590.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Last edited:

TYSC

Rank I

Enthusiast I

I'm using an iPad mini 4 Wifi through a Garmin GLO GPS receiver with the Motion X app. In my Tacoma I had it mounted on a Panavise bracket with a RAM mount ball and X grip. It worked well, but I am having a difficult time finding where to mount it using that same X grip in my Tundra.

Reactions: jacks dad

OverlandNYC

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Staten Island, NY
Member #

Samsung Galaxy E 10" tablet, Ram Mount Pod, Ram Mount X-grip for 10" Tablets. Using my Garmin Inreach Explorer+ with Earthmate, as well as Gaia GPS app, google maps, you name it, whatever works best. This is going to be my first time using this. I'm downloading offline maps, etc getting ready. Trip is in 3 weeks.

Attachments

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Wow Apple just released a cheaper iPad. 32GB $329 and 128gb (I would get that for map storage purposes) for $429.

Very competitive pricing.

People can debate all day long but I have always found Apple apps to be more refined than Android. I own both Android and iOS devices for testing purposes.

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I run the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 with Back Country Navigator Pro. Planning on getting Torque as well to monitor stats of the vehicle. It's ran off a RAM mount attached to a bar that goes across my dash. Don't have any pics with me, but there should be a couple in my build thread.

Reactions: 9Mike2

XL.Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Phelan CA
First Name
Jarrod
Last Name
Smith
Member #

New in the navigation department for overlanding. What devices do I need? I see a lot of people using tablets, but how does that work when you don't have cell service?

NV.Recon

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Reno, Nevada
Member #

New in the navigation department for overlanding. What devices do I need? I see a lot of people using tablets, but how does that work when you don't have cell service?

Many tablets nowadays are equipped with internal GPS. All you need to do is download the maps at home and the gps will still give your location on those maps while you are out in the boonies.

Some will use cell phones as well. You just need to make sure your device is equipped with gps or you need to buy an external gps to plug into it.

OB 3319

Reactions: XL.Overland

Teh_Viking

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ventura Ca
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Roosendahl
Member #

do you need phone service for these apps to work?
You will need service to download the maps, I have been using the Gaia website maps to get used to the program before I buy it and plan my route. Once I get it on the tablet you can download the maps around your route for offline use and the gps will still work without service.

Also louder mentioned those new cheaper ipad, the wifi only ones dont come with gps and its about $100 more to step up to one with it. So you might want to just buy a external one and share the gps across more then one device. Alot of android tablets have gps built in.

Reactions: justin marsh

justin marsh

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Miriam Vale QLD Australia
Member #

You will need service to download the maps, I have been using the Gaia website maps to get used to the program before I buy it and plan my route. Once I get it on the tablet you can download the maps around your route for offline use and the gps will still work without service.

Also louder mentioned those new cheaper ipad, the wifi only ones dont come with gps and its about $100 more to step up to one with it. So you might want to just buy a external one and share the gps across more then one device. Alot of android tablets have gps built in.
cheers for that