GPS/Tablet

• HTML tutorial

mattymais

Rank I

Enthusiast I

I just bought an iPad mini and downloaded Gaia maps. I've only had Gaia for a week but love it. I looked at Hema too but Gaia has been around longer and a lot of people said to go that route. I'll get a ram mount for my 4Runner next and will be good to go

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: DavidNam and SteveR

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

I run Hema, I like the Hema Cloud that it offers. Easy to sync tracks between my iPhone and iPad and great and detailed route tracking info. Can't go wrong with Gaia either, its a crowd favorite.

MandAtaco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
Member #

I'm using a Samsung Tab4 with Gaia. I love Gaia, the Samsung tablet is OK. Apple stuff just seems to run smoother to me. Gaia has excellent customer service, and their online cloud stuff is top notch. I sync all my stuff between the Samsung, my computer, and an old large Ipad I play with sometimes.

Reactions: SteveR

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
I have been using Topo Maps for a couple of years, it's okay. I just loaded Gaia on my iPad Mini and hope it is better on the trail.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: SteveR

Chris Arnesen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hillsboro, OR
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Arnesen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KU7PDX
I just picked up a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 9.7 and Gaia GPS looks great on it. I wasn't super excited about Gaia GPS when I first got it, but after running through the help pages and tutorials I can see how it will be a lot more powerful than other options/competitors.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Just recently loaded up and connected the Delorme In-Reach (using Earthmate map software) to a Samsung Tab A.
A trip to the desert proved this combination very useful, but I think I can do better.

I also have Backcountry Nav Pro but it's a little fussy to deal with. I may go with Gaia.

I have it mounted to the center console using a 1" RAM mount with a tablet holder (same as @9Mike2) above.
Holds it very solid over very washboard roads, pretty impressed.

Dan.

badmnky

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

PNW E. WA
Member #

I just downloaded Hema and have been getting used to it on my Nexus 9, I'm not prepared to pay a subscription to anyone since I have e perfectly good paper maps and navigation built in to my Rubicon. I put the "stand" RAM mount the bolts to the seat, but I like the rugged ridge idea above better.

I was thinking of getting the RAM V mount and clamping the tablet to the passenger grab bar, but I'm concerned about air bag interference.

Posted via mobile. OB# 3459

Ross

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Augusta, SC
Member #

So do these things have to be mobile versions? ie: a verizon or att subscription. My son has an ipad mine, but it only gets on internet via wifi. Can you use these with only the mobile versions?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
So do these things have to be mobile versions? ie: a verizon or att subscription. My son has an ipad mine, but it only gets on internet via wifi. Can you use these with only the mobile versions?
Wifi models don't have a gps. So you need to add an external Bluetooth GPS.

chrispartida

Rank VI

Advocate II

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Partida
Member #

I just recently purchased the Bad Elf Pro, (attached to a suction cup mount on my windshield) and use it with Gaia loaded onto an IPad Mini. So far so good. I've got a PanaVise mount point with a Ram mount attached to the Lifeproof Cradle.

Edit: added photo

-CP TACO
OB #3276

Last edited: