Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

You will find if you go out into the wilderness right now you wont be alone, there are alot of people with that same idea rushing to bug out without the needed supplies. I dont think its a good idea to leave home during an emergency unless you home burned down or is being overrun by rioters. If there is an emergency out in the wild you cant handle there will likely be no one coming to save you right now being that hospitals are overrun. The others flocking out there likely are already sick.

A day trip sure, just to get out and do something but i wouldnt plan on living out there til everything blows over

Reactions: cdavis90

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
great advice. i'm hunkered down at home, but i am still thinking about whats going on and i quit running the chainsaw because IF something happened, now ain't the time to have to go to the hospital. i even quit cleaning around the pond because snakes are out and i certainly dont need a mocassin bite. bad things can happen out in the boonies as well as at the house...people climbing ladders to clean gutters and falling off, etc. that advice is also great to think about while staying home as well

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

great advice. i'm hunkered down at home, but i am still thinking about whats going on and i quit running the chainsaw because IF something happened, now ain't the time to have to go to the hospital. i even quit cleaning around the pond because snakes are out and i certainly dont need a mocassin bite. bad things can happen out in the boonies as well as at the house...people climbing ladders to clean gutters and falling off, etc. that advice is also great to think about while staying home as well
Might not want to run a chainsaw just so your not putting out a signal that you have things. The longer people are out of jobs the more crime is to be expected. Depending on how bad things get it could get dire, im already hearing more child abuse and domestic abuse calls scanning the sherriff dept radios. Once the food stamps stop working or food supply gets interrupted expect things to get anywhere from the wild west to mad max out there.
There will most likely be more deaths from the people freaking out committing crime than the virus itself.

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
Might not want to run a chainsaw just so your not putting out a signal that you have things. The longer people are out of jobs the more crime is to be expected. Depending on how bad things get it could get dire, im already hearing more child abuse and domestic abuse calls scanning the sherriff dept radios. Once the food stamps stop working or food supply gets interrupted expect things to get anywhere from the wild west to mad max out there.
There will most likely be more deaths from the people freaking out committing crime than the virus itself.
I hate being an alarmist, but I completely agree. I live in a quiet retirement community. I work overnights. My wife was at home, in bed sick last night (all the lights were out) and someone started beating on our door about 2245 ... only thing I could think of was someone was testing to see if anything would change, lights come on, etc., casing the neighborhood for houses to break into.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I hate being an alarmist, but I completely agree. I live in a quiet retirement community. I work overnights. My wife was at home, in bed sick last night (all the lights were out) and someone started beating on our door about 2245 ... only thing I could think of was someone was testing to see if anything would change, lights come on, etc., casing the neighborhood for houses to break into.
Could be.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I feel like to many have been pampered their whole lives many probably grew up in a culdesac and still live in one, start out poor living in the ghetto where crime is normal and you have a different outlook on things and you learn situational awarness or you loose everything.

Reactions: 9Mike2

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I'm staying put right now during this crisis, in a 3gen household in a small city of around 67,000 with a number of smaller cities and towns making up a greater population of 500,000.

I'd much rather be here if loved ones or I fall ill, and not be 20 miles off pavement or backcountry in areas where I might increase fear in, or be a burden on, if I fall ill or need anything for repairs, etc.

I am far from one to over-react in cases like this as far as things that can go potentially wrong, though also realize with reduced LEO numbers and hands-off policies in place in many cities, and the fact that homeless and poor are being hit hard with this virus crisis in not having the same shelters and food as normal, that my Spidey senses are on alert more.

The specific couple neighborhoods around me routinely have car break-ins, homes being entered while folks are away, bikes stolen regularly, etc. All part of living in most any city, really. I'm also well aware what folks are capable of, especially who already have little as far as income and who feel further threatened.

I've tightened up what we have in our yard, removed all visible propane and other fuel containers and any other easy-to-grab temptations. I am considering putting a curtain on our back porch door so folks cant see inside to what we have in our new pantry area in the back hall.

Luckily, most folks around here know there's a crazy old fuck who lives in this house and that he has eyes in the back of his head. Without being overtly threatening, "Don't fuck with that guy OR his place" is the vibe I want others to feel.

When I picked up my Hornbeck canoe in the Adirondacks, and had my van and trailer with me, I asked if they've had much trouble with owners getting their canoes messed with or stolen. The guy looked at me, then looked at my van and trailer and said "Well, not really. Besides, looks like you own guns."

Fact is, I don't own or travel with guns (too many borders, too many places don't allow them). Never felt the need, even with all the solo and borderlands travel and backcountry camping. But that I project that image is absolutely fine with me.

Situational awareness is everything, I agree. Know where your shit is, and keep it tight.

Stay safe, stay clean, stay positive!

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I'm staying put right now during this crisis, in a 3gen household in a small city of around 67,000 with a number of smaller cities and towns making up a greater population of 500,000.

I'd much rather be here if loved ones or I fall ill, and not be 20 miles off pavement or backcountry in areas where I might increase fear in, or be a burden on, if I fall ill or need anything for repairs, etc.

I am far from one to over-react in cases like this as far as things that can go potentially wrong, though also realize with reduced LEO numbers and hands-off policies in place in many cities, and the fact that homeless and poor are being hit hard with this virus crisis in not having the same shelters and food as normal, that my Spidey senses are on alert more.

The specific couple neighborhoods around me routinely have car break-ins, homes being entered while folks are away, bikes stolen regularly, etc. All part of living in most any city, really. I'm also well aware what folks are capable of, especially who already have little as far as income and who feel further threatened.

I've tightened up what we have in our yard, removed all visible propane and other fuel containers and any other easy-to-grab temptations. I am considering putting a curtain on our back porch door so folks cant see inside to what we have in our new pantry area in the back hall.

Luckily, most folks around here know there's a crazy old fuck who lives in this house and that he has eyes in the back of his head. Without being overtly threatening, "Don't fuck with that guy OR his place" is the vibe I want others to feel.

When I picked up my Hornbeck canoe in the Adirondacks, and had my van and trailer with me, I asked if they've had much trouble with owners getting their canoes messed with or stolen. The guy looked at me, then looked at my van and trailer and said "Well, not really. Besides, looks like you own guns."

Fact is, I don't own or travel with guns (too many borders, too many places don't allow them). Never felt the need, even with all the solo and borderlands travel and backcountry camping. But that I project that image is absolutely fine with me.

Situational awareness is everything, I agree. Know where your shit is, and keep it tight.

Stay safe, stay clean, stay positive!

My few neigbors have written consent (stating we are land managers for each others property it helps legally since we have a reason to be on the property's and to protect em, lawyer told us it would help ) from me and likewise to shoot anyone that dont belong on our properties. A few years back i had 2 guys at gunpoint untill the sherriff arrived, they were casing my neigbors house at 9pm i walked up on em still in their truck and poked the dude in the ear with my glock and waited with 911 on speaker . We live in an unincoperated area and the law takes 30+ min to reach us if at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lindenwood and Road

DeltaBravo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sun City, TX
First Name
Dennis
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG1N
I remember being in Biloxi/Gulf Port MS after Katrina. Destruction was devastating. What stuck with me most were two things:

1. Waffle House was the first place to open.

2. A spray-painted sign on a "wall" that said "We are home and we are armed" - really put it into perspective for us. BTW, all (ALL) homes on the beach road were simply gone. Really heart breaking.

Just try to stay safe wherever you are.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I remember being in Biloxi/Gulf Port MS after Katrina. Destruction was devastating. What stuck with me most were two things:

1. Waffle House was the first place to open.

2. A spray-painted sign on a "wall" that said "We are home and we are armed" - really put it into perspective for us. BTW, all (ALL) homes on the beach road were simply gone. Really heart breaking.

Just try to stay safe wherever you are.
Put into that context what is happening now altho it is global seems much easier to survive. Stay at home means neighbourhood watch is bigger than ever. All the roads, critical manufacturing and food production are still intact. And all we have to do is stay home. No doubt a lot of people will be ill, many will die, but being smart will make it pretty easy to survive. And there is history here from Italy, Spain, South Korea. If we can learn from what happened there, this might be over in 3 months.

Might be lots to celebrate on July 1st, and July 4rh.

Reactions: M Rose