Going to add 4 spot lights to my roof rack, should I ditch the lightbar?

• HTML tutorial

What should I do?

• Total voters
So, I currently have a 50" curved lightbar above my windshield. I also have 2 7'' spot lights on my front bumper. (First picture) I have become interested in the idea of adding 4 spots to my roof rack ever since I got it. However, I'm not sure if it would look weird with the spots AND the lightbar. Debating whether or not I should leave it alone, add the spots and remove the lightbar, or add the spots and keep the lightbar. I made a quick image (second picture) with some black circles representing the spot lights and did my best to mask them behind the lightbar so you can get a good feel of how it would look. I could sell the lightbar on craigslist for $100, it's an ebay-special that has worked through all conditions beautifully.
DSC04535.jpg
DSC04535-3.jpg

Reactions: ElDusto

F4T XJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

London, United Kingdom
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Savage
Member #

Have them all, I like the look. I opted for 2 spotlights either side of a smaller light bar and also have 2 LED lights facing the rear wired to the reverse with a manual over ride.

scubasteve2002

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Lap
Member #

I had led floods on the front of the Jeep. It was nice light but I really missed the simplicity and amber hue of halogen. Plus the pure whit seemed to mess with my night vision. Where the halogen seems to ease my eye fatigue at night. But that's just me lol. So my opinion is ditch the bar and use that as a backup light. Put the spots up front.

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
I started with a lightbar, then added two 10 degree spots that throw light about a half mile down the road. The combo works well.

Reactions: zachtyler

NetDep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

St. George, UT, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
G
Member #

Well, opinions are like -- well you know the rest. My opinion, and the way I voted, were to keep the lightbar and get the spots. That second picture looks AWESOME. The thing with lights is - if you have them you can turn them on but if you don't you can't!! That makes sense to those of us with a bit of a light "thing." I had a similar thought with my situation but then I was talking to my brilliant wife the other day and I mentioned my dilemma. She said, "Well, the way I look at it, lights are like black pants and who can EVER have enough pairs of black pants." She made a great point -- ditch lights installed!!!

Let your conscience and your wallet be your guide but remember to have fun!!

unnamed-3.jpg

Reactions: 15Canyon

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

As much as I hate to say it being I am also a member on candle power forums and have way too much money invested into flashlights. There is such thing as too much of a good thing. But looking at this abortion of an Xterra, I would say lose the bar if going with spots....

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Ditch the lightbar and move your two bumper lights to the roof rack, then you only need to buy 2 more of them. How often do you use them and what kind of terrain you usually travel in? The Euro beam pattern is a good all around style. Floods can wash too much out pointed directly in front, but are handy on the outside of the rack, pointed a few degrees outward. Pencil beams are really only good if your doing open desert running at 80 mph and need to see 1000' down range.

Overlanding Downunder

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia
First Name
Colin
Last Name
Comollatti
Member #

G’Day zachtyler

If I was doing this, these are some of the questions I would ask myself. You may already have. :smirk:

My questions are ...
1a. When overlanding would the extra height of the spot lights cause you any problems with tree branch clearance? The light bar looks to be nicely tucked under the roof basket.

1b. Would the spot lights be tough enough if you did hit that tree branch? :smile:

2. Would the spot lights cause you more wind drag then the light bar? I know how much my rhino platform with solar panel and maxtrax change my fuel economy.

3. Will you be updating the wiring for the spot lights? I cannot see one wire for the light bar running the four spot lights. May be an extra cost to the budget.

4. Are looks everything? I am a person of functionality. Don’t get me wrong I am very fastidious when it comes to looks. All my wiring, switches and accessories are mount neatly and cleanly.

5. Extra light refection off the bonnet/hood, bulbar/bumper, antenna and mount. This maybe no difference between light bar and spot lights. But I would be checking on some else’s 4X4 with spot lights.

Colin

Last edited:

Overlanding Downunder

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia
First Name
Colin
Last Name
Comollatti
Member #

Howdy, Colin! Love these questions. You know why? Because they are the types of questions that race through my head every time I am about to click "complete purchase" for another mod on my rig! :tongueout:
G'Day zachtyler
It is great you are a person that does ask YOURSELF the questions.

From my own personal experience, I did not ask MYSELF the questions about some of my accessories. I ask coworkers with 4X4s, and the 4X4 accessories re-sellers and of course you need everything, and of course it has to be this brand and nothing else. :wink: I assume we have all been there? But I did not question myself, "did I need them?" We all learn from experience/hindsight. I will not air my dirty laundry hear. :nomouth:

I wish I found the Overland Bound Forums before my setup, this is a great place to see and hear of other peoples thoughts, setups and failures.

Colin