Bayville, NJ
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Murdoch
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2TQO GMRS: WREQ743
Correct. Tune to that channel and enter the CTCSS Tone. Depending on the radio you may need to make sure it's set for repeater operation. It transmits on a different frequency than the channel frequency for repeaters.

If it says "Open System" in the repeater info on MyGMRS.com there's no need to request access. Really, as long as you can program the CTCSS there's no way to restrict access to a repeater. It's just an honor system / protocol sort of thing.
Thanks Tex for the clarification.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I only have GMRS, license is super easy to get, radios way out perform CB, I got the midland MXT-400 (i think...duh) and love it, another group I went on the Mohave Road with tested GMRS distance and was very impressive. Love the small size, cost very reasonable.
Would I like a HAM? yes but to me and I know I will get a ton of ate here, the test is overblown and dumb for the average person just wanting to communicate....IMO the test should be heavy do's and don'ts, proper usage, emergency use, the average person does not need to know antenna formulas and other things like that.....My son who is a HAM freak, yes he uses all that and builds his own radios and stuff, me no way, like GMRS, I can buy a radio package and go.

Oh great now my son will txt me all kinds of grief...LOL

Jim

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I only have GMRS, license is super easy to get, radios way out perform CB, I got the midland MXT-400 (i think...duh) and love it, another group I went on the Mohave Road with tested GMRS distance and was very impressive. Love the small size, cost very reasonable.
Would I like a HAM? yes but to me and I know I will get a ton of ate here, the test is overblown and dumb for the average person just wanting to communicate....IMO the test should be heavy do's and don'ts, proper usage, emergency use, the average person does not need to know antenna formulas and other things like that.....My son who is a HAM freak, yes he uses all that and builds his own radios and stuff, me no way, like GMRS, I can buy a radio package and go.

Jim
Well that's what GMRS is for, the people who don't want to deal with the Ham test.

eagle_A40

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Galvez, Louisiana. USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Somebody
Member #

Would I like a HAM? yes but to me and I know I will get a ton of ate here, the test is overblown and dumb for the average person just wanting to communicate....IMO the test should be heavy do's and don'ts, proper usage, emergency use, the average person does not need to know antenna formulas and other things like that....

Jim
Jim , I agree with you 100%

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS

Jim
Generally agree but you basically hit on the reason why amateur radio exists, and why GMRS exists. It's not for just general communications though it can be used for that. It exists as a space for people to experiment and play with the inner works of radios and as a side deal for emergency communications infrastructure in the event of a natural or man made disaster. You don't need to be a radio expert to pass the tech test. 5 and 6 year olds pass it.

Basically HAM radio isn't for the "average person" it's for someone who either has a need it fills or is somewhat interested in HAM radio. Once you have your tech license (again not hard to do) you can brain dump all that info you learned about how they work if you want. Then it's just a matter of learning how to operate your specific radio which will have far more options and capability than any GMRS turn key radio.

That said, I'm glad to see the popularity of GMRS growing I'm just hoping people take it somewhat seriously and dont' turn it into UHF CB. A little radio knowledge and knowledge on how to talk on the radio properly can go a long way to limiting that. I've been involved with a few overlanding FB pages where GMRS or HAM comes up and it amazes me how many people will learn the ins and outs of how everything on their vehicle and recovery gear works but when it comes to comms they refuse to do anything to learn even the basics and just want something that works (I get that I guess) and when people mention a license they refuse to get that as well basically laughing in the face of anyone who even suggests it.

#Get_Lost_In_A_Tundra

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

West Milford, NJ, USA
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
O’Brien
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS call sign: WRFG305
Newbie here but this has been a very helpful thread. Perhaps it would be wise to have someone setup a link to have this on the communication threads. That way others can chime in with their experiences. Just a thought ‍♂

wlson1970

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rowlett, TX, USA
First Name
jamie
Last Name
wilson
Member #

we have all 3. picked up the set of the mtx 115 and the 1000vpn hand helds. now have one in the jeep and two to have for spotters or if out walking to stay in contact. the non contact east of dallas i get that as well. im on the road either at 2am heading to dfw airport or after 1 heading home on 635. i usually here chatter on 15 but its construction crews near forest lane. live in rowlett so hit me up here and we can test distances if your setting up.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
we have all 3. picked up the set of the mtx 115 and the 1000vpn hand helds. now have one in the jeep and two to have for spotters or if out walking to stay in contact. the non contact east of dallas i get that as well. im on the road either at 2am heading to dfw airport or after 1 heading home on 635. i usually here chatter on 15 but its construction crews near forest lane. live in rowlett so hit me up here and we can test distances if your setting up.
My GMRS shows a Rowlett repeater but ive tried to contact the owner with no luck. Try the Greenville repeater i can regularly hit that from Wylie and Mckinney and the ower is ok with any licensed user using it.

Im regularly monitoring the Overland Bound GMRS channel. I currently commute from Greenville to Mckinney every morning for the next 6 months.

ToyWhale

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Valatie, NY, USA
First Name
ray
Last Name
burton
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS --WREX608
most of the members of our group Explore Overland -NorthEast Toyota Overlanders use GMRS radios

Reactions: Downs

Tommy9610

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Weirs Beach, Laconia, NH, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Grant
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG768
Just paid for my GMRS license, waiting for my call sign, the FCC web site did not make it easy. It kept crashing today and the whole thing ended up taking several hours and a phone call to complete. Gotta love dealing with the Federal Government. But we got it done and once that call sign email shows up we will be legal. Glad I won't have to do that again for 10 years.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Just paid for my GMRS license, waiting for my call sign, the FCC web site did not make it easy. It kept crashing today and the whole thing ended up taking several hours and a phone call to complete. Gotta love dealing with the Federal Government. But we got it done and once that call sign email shows up we will be legal. Glad I won't have to do that again for 10 years.
You should get it tomorrow I would imagine. GMRS license turn around is pretty quick.

#Get_Lost_In_A_Tundra

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

West Milford, NJ, USA
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
O’Brien
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS call sign: WRFG305
Just got my mxt275 in the mail today and got my license and call sign yesterday. FCC website worked well for me on Tuesday. Definitely not an easy site to navigate. Finally making steps forward. I’ll take pictures of the install this weekend. Trying to do something clean and sorta hidden.

Reactions: TerryD

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wewoka, Seminole County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

I have a random GMRS install question. How necessary is it to set the SWR on them? I have a midland mxt275, with 6 meter cable, both their 6db gain antenna and the short NMO mount one they sell(forget part number right now). I know I SHOULD set the SWR, but with switching antennas based on use, will that affect it? Or will they be good out of the box. Once I get around to the install. Eventually. Lol

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

The antennas should be pretty well tuned, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's always good to check it but most all the 2m and dual band antennas I have purchased have all been good to go.
Thanks, that was my suspicion. But I wanted to see what someone who has been there said. I’m debating where I’m mounting my mxt275. So it may/may not be accessible after install. I like the thought of under the console like was shown earlier in this thread.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Congrats

Reactions: Prerunner1982

Ratthew

Rank I

Enthusiast I

I have a random GMRS install question. How necessary is it to set the SWR on them? I have a midland mxt275, with 6 meter cable, both their 6db gain antenna and the short NMO mount one they sell(forget part number right now). I know I SHOULD set the SWR, but with switching antennas based on use, will that affect it? Or will they be good out of the box. Once I get around to the install. Eventually. Lol
Interesting news: I have the same radio and bought the 6 dB gain and the "ghost" 3 dB shorty right from Midland. But a guy that knows a lot more about radio tech than me said the specs on the little shorty "are blatant lies" based on antenna frequency and size. Not sure how they could do that, or if he is wrong, but i must say he certainly spoke as if he knew what we was talking about.

Last edited:
Reactions: ryanorr280

Tommy9610

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Weirs Beach, Laconia, NH, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Grant
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG768
So, now that I have the official license, do I buy the mtx400 or is there a better choice? Living in New England, we are of course fairly mountainous or at least hilly and a higher power radio make more sense, to me at least; but are there better choices? Midland has 20% off right now, but not on the bundles, so I would be buying things separately.

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

Interesting news: I have the same radio and bought the 6 dB gain and the "ghost" 3 dB shorty right from Midland. But a guy that knows a lot more about radio tech than me said the specs on the little shorty "are blatant lies" based on antenna frequency and size. Not sure how they could do that, or if he is wrong, but i must say he certainly spoke as if he knew what we was talking about.
I wondered how well that little ghost antenna would really work. I did the 6db gain and the cheapest one they had. That way when I break the long one, I have a backup. It was only $7.99 on clearance when I ordered it.

I likely don’t need the tall antenna at all for my purposes. But I wanted one that will reach above my kayaks when I am at the lake.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
So, now that I have the official license, do I buy the mtx400 or is there a better choice? Living in New England, we are of course fairly mountainous or at least hilly and a higher power radio make more sense, to me at least; but are there better choices? Midland has 20% off right now, but not on the bundles, so I would be buying things separately.
Its up to you. The MXTs have some limitations but are a turn key solution. I would personally go to a commercial surplus radio like a Motorola or a Kenwood. They can be had for 100 dollars or less and are beefy and capable of doing split tones and go wideband.

The MXTs are stuck on narrowband and wont' do split tones. Probably not a big deal for most people but something to take into account if you want to start doing repeater ops and the repeaters close to you have split tones. The narrowband thing may make you sound quiet or noisy to radios running wideband and wideband radios will probably sound a little loud on yours.