Willow Grove, Pennsylvania
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRHZ939
Did you buy an extra antenna or do you plan on using the one it comes with? I am looking at this radio, but know nothing about what antenna to use.
I plan to use the little one that came with it. Should be good for my needs. That said, I just did a power-up and found no traffic in my area before dinner yesterday. All I could listen to was an NOAA weather feed.

I'm hoping people use GMRS outside of their little groups.

Reactions: LostInThought

LostInThought

Rank VI

Influencer I

Dripping Springs, Texas, United States
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

After reading that post looks like if your traveling in various terrains then you would need 3 antennas per type of radio if you wanted 100% coverage 100% of the time. So CB 1, GMRS 2, Ham 3. 3 radios X 3 antennas each = 9 antennas. Right?
I run ham w/ a mount for one ham antenna and GMRS with a mount for one GMRS antenna. I have a longer range (5-6dBi) antenna and a shorter range/higher angle (2-3dBi) antenna for each (four total). The terrain can be steeper here, so I'll mount the shorter range/higher angle antennas before leaving, but I'll keep the other two in the truck. The 5-6dBi antennas get mounted for roadtrip days. I don't own a CB at all, but if I needed one for a trip, I might buy one of the little hand helds Cobra and Uniden sell for ~$85.

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
I run ham w/ a mount for one ham antenna and GMRS with a mount for one GMRS antenna. I have a longer range (5-6dBi) antenna and a shorter range/higher angle (2-3dBi) antenna for each (four total). The terrain can be steeper here, so I'll mount the shorter range/higher angle antennas before leaving, but I'll keep the other two in the truck. The 5-6dBi antennas get mounted for roadtrip days. I don't own a CB at all, but if I needed one for a trip, I might buy one of the little hand helds Cobra and Uniden sell for ~$85.
I just used some Cabela's points and picked up the cobra 50wxst yesterday while I was near one. I don't know about it yet to give a thumbs up or down.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Again non GMRS related what are your thoughts on vanity call sign?
Some people keep their original call sign because it is what they were given, some get vanity call signs that mean something (initials are popular), some people get vanity call signs every 2 yrs :unamused:
I had my original call for about 4 years before I decided to get a vanity. My original call had WU in it and just saying the call non-phonetically it was not great.
Just like your vehicle... do whatever you want.
But there are limitations on what type of call sign you can get based on location and level of license.
RadioQTH.net had a nice easy to use call sign search but the web page is down again.
ae7q.com is another site you can use to see what call sign is available.
If you need help finding something, let me know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boppa's Travels

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I plan to use the little one that came with it. Should be good for my needs. That said, I just did a power-up and found no traffic in my area before dinner yesterday. All I could listen to was an NOAA weather feed.

I'm hoping people use GMRS outside of their little groups.
There are 90 GMRS repeaters in PA, one even in Willow Grove.
Some are permission required which means you have to contact the repeater owner/trustee to get permission and the PL tone to access the repeater, some are noted as open for anyone to access.
You will be able to listen to them without having the enter the PL tone.
There aren't nearly that many repeaters here but the one in OKC is quiet most of the time but occasionally during drive time you might hear a couple of guys talking. Sometimes hear someone put the call out with no response.... much like a ham radio repeater. :smirk:

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

Thanks for providing all of this good information for us that are just getting started with these units.

I had recently purchased the 275 along with the 6dB antenna which I plan to mount on the passenger side cowl by the front window pillar of my Jeep for now. I am planning on taking the HAM test in the next few months and adding a HAM unit to my vehicle and then running with just those two radios.

What are the best location options to mount both of my antennas? Ideally on top but my Jeep has a non-metal fiberglass top which may also be removed from time-to-time and I also am wary of the resulting logistics in parking garages. I would like to locate both antennas at the rear off of the tailgate or the rear tire carrier but would placement there greatly impact their effectiveness as most of the antenna length would be below the roof line? Another option would be to have them mounted on each cowl near the front window pillars (one on each side). I also see Jeeps with antennas mounted above the front fenders but I don't like that they would be in my field of view as I drive. My non-educated guess is that mounting by the front window pillars would be the best in terms of all the trade offs involved. Would it be fair to say that technically it would not be the best place for them but they should work "good enough"?

What is the minimum recommended distance between mounting points for a GMRS and HAM antenna? Can they be positioned just a few inches apart or is it best to have much greater separation?

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
Some people keep their original call sign because it is what they were given, some get vanity call signs that mean something (initials are popular), some people get vanity call signs every 2 yrs :unamused:
I had my original call for about 4 years before I decided to get a vanity. My original call had WU in it and just saying the call non-phonetically it was not great.
Just like your vehicle... do whatever you want.
But there are limitations on what type of call sign you can get base on location and level of license.
RadioQTH.net had a nice easy to use call sign search but the web page is down again.
ae7q.com is another site you can use to see what call sign is available.
If you need help finding something, let me know.
More out of curiosity but the thought of a call sign with special meaning to me is intriguing.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
4? Well... that's close to what I am running. :smirk: function over form... as far as the OCD will let me anyway.
OCD ???? dummy here gain ! I need a book with listing in alphabetical order listing all the abbreviations of every product and hobby group in the USA. The government alone would fill three volumes with 10,000 pages. I hate them but I know they are necessary.

• Haha

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
OCD ???? dummy here gain ! I need a book with listing in alphabetical order listing all the abbreviations of every product and hobby group in the USA. The government alone would fill three volumes with 10,000 pages. I hate them but I know they are necessary.
Maybe I worked in Special Ed to long I thought he had Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Maybe I worked in Special Ed to long I thought he had Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
That would be my guess too if I was guessing. Terry's my buddy so I know he wont mind telling me what OCD means even if it's a PITA too do so. LOL

LostInThought

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

Thanks for providing all of this good information for us that are just getting started with these units.

I had recently purchased the 275 along with the 6dB antenna which I plan to mount on the passenger side cowl by the front window pillar of my Jeep for now. I am planning on taking the HAM test in the next few months and adding a HAM unit to my vehicle and then running with just those two radios.

What are the best location options to mount both of my antennas? Ideally on top but my Jeep has a non-metal fiberglass top which may also be removed from time-to-time and I also am wary of the resulting logistics in parking garages. I would like to locate both antennas at the rear off of the tailgate or the rear tire carrier but would placement there greatly impact their effectiveness as most of the antenna length would be below the roof line? Another option would be to have them mounted on each cowl near the front window pillars (one on each side). I also see Jeeps with antennas mounted above the front fenders but I don't like that they would be in my field of view as I drive. My non-educated guess is that mounting by the front window pillars would be the best in terms of all the trade offs involved. Would it be fair to say that technically it would not be the best place for them but they should work "good enough"?

What is the minimum recommended distance between mounting points for a GMRS and HAM antenna? Can they be positioned just a few inches apart or is it best to have much greater separation?
Mount options: I haven't looked a Jeep cowl recently, but I recall that there are many options for Jeep-specific mounts - I'll let the Jeep Guys comment on those. A good generic option for the hood is a Diamond K400 lip mount with either a UHF mount or NMO mount to match your antenna.

Mounting on the hood or tailgate can cost a little antenna efficiency, but not enough to tie yourself in knots over. Try to space the antennas apart from each other and from the metal window pillars. When I ran hood mounts on my 4runner, the configuration that seemed to work best was to put one antenna on each side (the rule of thumb I use is half a wavelength - about 40inches for 2m ham), and locate them at least a foot from the A-Pillars (far enough for radio separation from the metal pillars and far enough that when I open the hood, the antennas don't hit the windshield). The fiberglass will be less of a screening obstruction than metal. A hood mount might look something like this:

index.jpg

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Again non GMRS related what are your thoughts on vanity call sign?
It’s up to you. If I had a call I hated I’d probably see about getting my SK grandmother’s call sign. But I’ve had my current call for over 30 years and it’s one I like.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force

Attachments

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
It’s up to you. If I had a call I hated I’d probably see about getting my SK grandmother’s call sign. But I’ve had my current call for over 30 years and it’s one I like.
I pray every day that my up coming dementia will let me remember my call sign when I get one. Really worrisome I tell ya. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Sparksalot

LostInThought

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

More out of curiosity but the thought of a call sign with special meaning to me is intriguing.
At one point, I did look to see if there were any available callsigns that contained "WTF", but apparently that trigram is popular/desired among many. Can't imagine why. :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

That would be my guess too if I was guessing. Terry's my buddy so I know he wont mind telling me what OCD means even if it's a PITA too do so. LOL
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder is correct. Minor really, mostly things on my desk have to be parallel or dress right dress if you were prior military. And when my antennas started multiplying I placed them evenly on the vehicle.
CB on the drivers fender, opposite the AM/FM stereo antenna.
2m APRS antenna on passenger rear corner.
HF on driver rear corner.
2m voice antenna in the middle of the roof.
Almost like the 5 side of a dice.. 2 in front, 2 in rear and 1 in the middle.
I then added the GMRS antenna between the two on the back to make it 3 antennas across the back of the vehicle.