Contributor III

Santa Rosa, California, United States
First Name
Alexis
Last Name
Bailey
Member #

Howdy Everyone,

I wanted to give anyone a heads up about massive road closures if heading to the 395 (Mammoth area) from the Bay Area. I already had done 5+ hours of driving when the route Google was going to have me take was also closed. I asked the Nevada road crew at the road closure how to get to Mammoth and I would’ve needed to double back to Carson City; then drop back down. The Tamarack fire is out of control and has many roads closed; I even talked to a firefighter with the US Forest and they informed me the containment date for this fire has been pushed out another month. I ultimately gave up and went back home. If you didn’t need a reservation to cut through Yosemite it wouldn’t have been an issue; but it is what it is.

Hopefully it gets contained soon and I hope everyone out there is staying safe!

Good Luck!
Alexis

• Sad
Reactions: MazeVX

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
I came over 108 Saturday afternoon from just below the summit on the east side and it was open all the way to 120. Also, you do not need a reservation to cut through Yosemite. I passed through last Sunday. You still need to pay entrance fee but they give you a window tag with the time on it and you're told you cannot stop for photos, bathroom breaks, etc but you can pass through without reservation.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I came over 108 Saturday afternoon from just below the summit on the east side and it was open all the way to 120. Also, you do not need a reservation to cut through Yosemite. I passed through last Sunday. You still need to pay entrance fee but they give you a window tag with the time on it and you're told you cannot stop for photos, bathroom breaks, etc but you can pass through without reservation.

Matt, where did you find to stay?

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire

Matt, where did you find to stay?
We did a 6-day trip along 395. Stayed at Leavitt Lake off 108 Friday and left Saturday. Earlier in the week stayed at Funnel Lake, Buckeye Hot Springs and a few other spots.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

We did a 6-day trip along 395. Stayed at Leavitt Lake off 108 Friday and left Saturday. Earlier in the week stayed at Funnel Lake, Buckeye Hot Springs and a few other spots.
Thanks, just looked it up on GoooooooogleEarth, Looks like a good place for an overnighter before/after climbing the Pass. Was it crowded?

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
Thanks, just looked it up on GoooooooogleEarth, Looks like a good place for an overnighter before/after climbing the Pass. Was it crowded?
It’s awesome. Wasn’t too crowded and it’s got decently spread out dispersed spots. Kinda rocky getting up to the lake but not bad. Stock 4wd can do, saw a stock F150 pulling adventure trailer make it. Definitely worth checking out.

Attachments

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

It’s awesome. Wasn’t too crowded and it’s got decently spread out dispersed spots. Kinda rocky getting up to the lake but not bad. Stock 4wd can do, saw a stock F150 pulling adventure trailer make it. Definitely worth checking out.

Nice picture! Thanks Matt!

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
How much was the entrance fee? I don't mind paying the fee if it shaves some drive time for me as oppossed to going up 108 and coming back down. How was the traffice passing through Yosemite? Was it a S show or bearable? Thanks in advance.

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
How much was the entrance fee? I don't mind paying the fee if it shaves some drive time for me as oppossed to going up 108 and coming back down. How was the traffice passing through Yosemite? Was it a S show or bearable? Thanks in advance.
I’m not sure of the price as my GF has a pass. There was very very little traffic tho getting through the park.

Reactions: LONO100