Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I wanted to share this because its a feature I've found particularly useful. We're always trying to get the OB1 (Overland Bound One) app out of your way and make it easy to use. Lots of folks wanted it to be easier to quickly add locations when you are out on the trail and we added a bunch of ways to do that - but what's the easiest? Just take a photo!

Now in the app there is a "Get Location From Photo" button.

1655225339794.png

This allows you to simply take a picture of a location and find the precise location later from the photo.

1655225496204.png

Easy as that. So now instead of having to fill out information and save it in the app - just cruise down the trail and take a few pictures - you can send more time adding a public or private location in the app later. This feature is also available in the add location screen for ease of use.

I hope its helpful. I'd love feedback!

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
I just tried this from several different pics in my phone....Iphone13. There is no location data found on any of them, and I verified that location is on in the camera settings on the phone.

Cool feature, fingers crossed.

Reactions: Michael

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
@zgfiredude

Ah! Let's see if we can figure that out. There are a couple things we can try:

- Can you see if the photos show on your iPhone picture map.
- You could open the image on a computer and see if the location metadata is there.

Just want to confirm the picture has the location metadata.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Works for me*! Picked a random land-based shot from last weekend's cabin cleaning fiesta and it nailed the location of the iPhone picture.
*Tried a couple photos from the ferry and both times OB1 said that location data was found but did not place a pin on the map (over water). Do the photos need to be over the land? What you got against Overwatering? Hahaha

Edit - I did get a pin for a water based location but it was way off, google maps also put the pin in the same incorrect position based on the lat/lon reported by OB1 for the pic in question. Just had a land based pic not get a pin but OB1 reported location data found. Not blaming OB1 - too many moving parts here, might be nice to present some message if a pin is not placed? Just tried same pic again and got a pin for it. I'd be more than happy to send "raw" pics so those at the OB1 Labs can examine them ;)

Sometimes OB1 can place Ollie and other times he is invisible! Typical for him. Hahahaha
IMG_6901.jpeg

Last edited:

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
@zgfiredude

- You could open the image on a computer and see if the location metadata is there.

AHHHH! It works and is super cool!!

My bad initially, while it is an Iphone, I generally utilize Google Photo rather than Apple Photo. It's a holdover from my Android days......I apologize. I'm a Apple Photo convert now, this is badass! Sorry for wasting your time, but thanks for the lesson.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
AHHHH! It works and is super cool!!

My bad initially, while it is an Iphone, I generally utilize Google Photo rather than Apple Photo. It's a holdover from my Android days......I apologize. I'm a Apple Photo convert now, this is badass! Sorry for wasting your time, but thanks for the lesson.
Awesome! Good to hear!

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I just tried this with two different photos, one in Big Bend one on the NMBDR. I got the error no location found in photo on both.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
@zgfiredude

Just saw this follow up post. So metadata has to be enabled in the camera for the function to work?

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Just saw this follow up post. So metadata has to be enabled in the camera for the function to work?
It is actually "Location Services" in iOS and "Location Settings" on Android. This is the service that allows your phone to know where you are when you take a photo so your phone can save that data with your photo. This feature should also work if you are sent a photo from a person with location services on, since it is it is saved with the photo they send you.

Keep in mind, even if you have location services on, if someone sends you a picture, but they have location services off, the feature will not be able to get the location. That's why we made it a friendly blue message instead of a bad red error message. :) It's really not an error.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
It is actually "Location Services" in iOS and "Location Settings" on Android. This is the service that allows your phone to know where you are when you take a photo so your phone can save that data with your photo. This feature should also work if you are sent a photo from a person with location services on, since it is it is saved with the photo they send you.

Keep in mind, even if you have location services on, if someone sends you a picture, but they have location services off, the feature will not be able to get the location. That's why we made it a friendly blue message instead of a bad red error message. :) It's really not an error.
Gotcha on location services.

your note about friendly blue made me think of the Don’t Panic cover on the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. :tearsofjoy: