Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Buford,GA
First Name
Ronnie
Last Name
Gordon
Member #

We are almost halfway to the 20 rig count so if we hit 20 and more want to come, chime in. We can always add and take the larger group and split it and delay start the 2nd group from the first by 15 to 20 minutes so as not to jam up the trail.
I have no issue with multiple groups as long as they are staged. I remember doing the Clayton forest roads and then bell mountain. With over 50 jeeps and it was just no fun. And for some reason every time we stoped I was on a hill (I had a carburetor back then)

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

I have no issue with multiple groups as long as they are staged. I remember doing the Clayton forest roads and then bell mountain. With over 50 jeeps and it was just no fun. And for some reason every time we stoped I was on a hill (I had a carburetor back then)

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
No way we'll put that many rigs together on the trail. Was already thinking of a staged start even at just 20 rigs.

Reactions: Gordonmedia

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

Ha!
Hey, so I clicked your Google map link. The ending of the day will be at the Piggly Wiggly in Dillard?
Is that correct?
Not quite. That ends the first section but the next section has some areas that are probably 4 wheel only and a little more aggressive trail so I expect some to end their day there and go elsewhere but also I'm planning for some wanting to continue so we'll route around and pick up the Traverse on the far side of Coleman River and then route around the Tallulah River crossing for those who don't want to make that. I'm going to build and post maps of the Dillard to Coleman River Crossover and then from Coleman River through Charlie's Creek and out Hightower to ride conclusion at US 76. I posted the link to Georgia Traverse map above which is excellent and that alone is all you'll need.

Silverback_WK2

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tontitown, AR
Member #

10-4. Just trying to look on Google maps to see where the end will be if I go the whole way with y'all.
Will your route go up and over Tray?

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

Hello all,
If it's not too late, I am new to the community and would like to get in on this run. Not sure how to "add" myself to this event...
Go back to the very first post announcing the rally and click on the "rally details" button. When rally details open, see the RSVP button on right side of screen. Click on RSVP and then select the option you want.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: iateeple

Don Whitten

Rank 0

Traveler I

Not quite. That ends the first section but the next section has some areas that are probably 4 wheel only and a little more aggressive trail so I expect some to end their day there and go elsewhere but also I'm planning for some wanting to continue so we'll route around and pick up the Traverse on the far side of Coleman River and then route around the Tallulah River crossing for those who don't want to make that. I'm going to build and post maps of the Dillard to Coleman River Crossover and then from Coleman River through Charlie's Creek and out Hightower to ride conclusion at US 76. I posted the link to Georgia Traverse map above which is excellent and that alone is all you'll need.
I'd love to join the trip.

BE ADVISED: I was on a few of the GA sections just yesterday (Sunday 01.14.18): traveling west to east - Charlies Creek to Tallulah river road was wide open and a good run. From there we intend to hit Coleman River road and connect with Patterson Gap; I'd completed this a couple of months ago from east to west successfully. However, yesterday (Sunday 01.14.18) there was a locked gate (near forest service road 54 just before the eastern watercrossing of coleman river) blocking thru access to patterson gap road. Our destination was Dillard (basically running your route in reverse). Point is: the Coleman river road leg might not be an option.

Reactions: Keith McAlister

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

I'd love to join the trip.

BE ADVISED: I was on a few of the GA sections just yesterday (Sunday 01.14.18): traveling west to east - Charlies Creek to Tallulah river road was wide open and a good run. From there we intend to hit Coleman River road and connect with Patterson Gap; I'd completed this a couple of months ago from east to west successfully. However, yesterday (Sunday 01.14.18) there was a locked gate (near forest service road 54 just before the eastern watercrossing of coleman river) blocking thru access to patterson gap road. Our destination was Dillard (basically running your route in reverse). Point is: the Coleman river road leg might not be an option.
I was afraid of that as we went through there 2 weekends ago and Gates wide open. This just means we continue down Patterson Gap to Persimmon and take Persimmon to Tallulah River Rd. In this whole section of the Traverse, I think this crossover from Patterson Gap to Coleman River is the only gated section. Thanks for the heads up.

Gordonmedia

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Buford,GA
First Name
Ronnie
Last Name
Gordon
Member #

I was afraid of that as we went through there 2 weekends ago and Gates wide open. This just means we continue down Patterson Gap to Persimmon and take Persimmon to Tallulah River Rd. In this whole section of the Traverse, I think this crossover from Patterson Gap to Coleman River is the only gated section. Thanks for the heads up.
I used to be in a off-road group with a guy that was good friends with one of the wildlife officers that opened the gates for hunters ill see if he has any advice on when the gates are open or locked. I make no promises but, ill try.

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Member #

Count me in! I RSVP'ed and the count went up so I hope that was done correctly. This is my first expedition so I am open to and need any advise y'all can give. My rig is a '16 Tacoma Off-road with a 2" lift and slightly larger tires. Got sliders ordered but doubtful they will be here before the trip. I have no recovery gear other than a tow strap.

I've read this thread and have been on the Georgia Traverse site and read thru all of it. Will I need to air down on any of this? If so, will there be air near the end of the route for airing back up? Should I get a Hi-Lift jack, shovel, ax, Max-tracks etc?

Thanks in advance.

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

I used to be in a off-road group with a guy that was good friends with one of the wildlife officers that opened the gates for hunters ill see if he has any advice on when the gates are open or locked. I make no promises but, ill try.
Thanks. The Georgia Traverse map notes this section is subject to closure so I suspect it may only be open during hunting season which Big Game in Georgia just closed. Last month I was in Blue Ridge WMA and every gate was open but going back up weekend after next and expect many of those gates to be closed and locked. Much of that is to keep local 4 wheelers from getting in and creating large mud holes to play in.

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

Count me in! I RSVP'ed and the count went up so I hope that was done correctly. This is my first expedition so I am open to and need any advise y'all can give. My rig is a '16 Tacoma Off-road with a 2" lift and slightly larger tires. Got sliders ordered but doubtful they will be here before the trip. I have no recovery gear other than a tow strap.

I've read this thread and have been on the Georgia Traverse site and read thru all of it. Will I need to air down on any of this? If so, will there be air near the end of the route for airing back up? Should I get a Hi-Lift jack, shovel, ax, Max-tracks etc?

Thanks in advance.
You'll be more than fine with that setup. It'll be a walk in the park. Looking forward to having you out with us.

As for air down, we did this entire section 2 weeks ago and none of us air'd down at all.

As for recovery gear, if you were planning on getting it even if not on the ride then sure, go ahead. But don't rush out now thinking you'll need it for this ride. You'll be fine.

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Member #

You'll be more than fine with that setup. It'll be a walk in the park. Looking forward to having you out with us.

As for air down, we did this entire section 2 weeks ago and none of us air'd down at all.

As for recovery gear, if you were planning on getting it even if not on the ride then sure, go ahead. But don't rush out now thinking you'll need it for this ride. You'll be fine.
Thank you sir!

Reactions: Keith McAlister

soarvet

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Buford, GA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Calendar looks clear as of now, so I'm going to RSVP with maybe. Hopefully the wife doesn't add anything to my calendar. Looking forward to meeting up.

Reactions: Silverback_WK2

clmautz

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Auburn, AL, USA
First Name
Chip
Last Name
Mautz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4BLI
I jumped on as a maybe, if I can get away for the day I'll swing up from Auburn. Parents are in Marietta so I should be able to stage out of there.

As for gate closings, there used to be a page w/ up-to-the-minute (day?) statuses of all gates - let me see if I can find it and I'll post it in this thread.

Sounds like fun!

Chip

Edit - found these links from my N. Ga. jeeping days -

http://www.georgiaoverland.com/trail-conditions/the-georgia-traverse-status-community-reported-conditions#comments

https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/conf/alerts-notices

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1Ql0ziGJAKsIypInacCFVfmenkmo&shorturl=1&ll=34.644373316731745,-84.24699960686667&z=9

https://www.fs.usda.gov/conf

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/conf/maps-pubs/?cid=fsm9_029112&width=full

http://georgiaoverland.blogspot.com/p/useful-links.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Silverback_WK2

Runamok

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gainesville, Florida
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4NWP
Now my son wants to come with his Jeep too. Prolly get him his own OB membership . Can we squeeze another rig in?