Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
Hey, this is something I'd like to get into, but I know nothing about it. I thought it might be cool to hide OB Emblems in specific spots around the world. I've never done it though.

M
The kids really get into it. Very much like treasure hunting. Get a free account and download a free version of their app and give it a go. I like using their app on my phone more than using my old handheld GPSr.

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
I am not familiar with it, what is Geocaching?
It goes like this......

You seek containers hidden by others. You are given info on that cache from the cache's page, where you get the lat/long and hints on its location. When you find it, you try not to be seen by non geocachers, retrieve and access it. Trade items in the cache, if the cache is big enough to have them, or collect prizes designated by the cache owner. Log your visit on the paper log in the cache. Replace the cache without being discovered. Hide it so it can't be seen by passers bye. Log your visit in the caches online log.

You can also own/hide caches.

There is a cache at the tower on Bald Mt.

There are multi caches that only get you the initial caches lat/long, which will lead you to the next lat/long, eventually leading you to the final cache.

Then there is Geocaching's educational cousin, Waymarking. Historical sites, geological features, and public art forms to mention a few subjects.

Justin_0237

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate III

Vacaville, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mulrooney
Member #

Geocaching is a really awesome thing to do! Sometimes the hides can be tough if it is a really small container. But sometimes they are more simple and have more "collectibles" inside. For me and my wife we use a hand held GPS. We just go to the website and load up an area with 1000 caches within a 100 mile radius to the GPS through a .gpx file. Keeps you busy for a long time!

Reactions: murps

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Looks like a lot of fun. I am going to have to check into this, could be a fun time!

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

Hey, this is something I'd like to get into, but I know nothing about it. I thought it might be cool to hide OB Emblems in specific spots around the world. I've never done it though.

M
I've done some with my boys. It is pretty fun and it gets you to go where you otherwise wouldn't have.

bigrob8181

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

First Name
Robert
Last Name
Landry
Member #

I love it. The kids love it. It helps you find those places you might otherwise pass up! It's like easter egg hunting for all ages with nature being one of the best prizes!

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
Went geocaching out by Cibbet Flats in the Cleveland National Forest here in socal. We were tracking a cache till google maps lost our location. Got out on foot and looked around. Quickly got back into the jeep after seeing this.....
The first thing that comes to mind in that area is the Carrizo Impact Area. And that seams awfuly far east from Cibbet Flats. What area is that?

Drift

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midwest
First Name
DJ
Last Name
Drift
Member #

I've been doing this for a while. It's pretty fun. Some can be pretty challenging. There is one at a cemetery I have yet to find, 3 visits and nothing. But others have found it between my searches.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

benmmc

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Ball Ground, GA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
McCloskey
Member #

We used to do it a lot. I'd like to get back into it. We even made a couple caches, but they are hard to keep up because people like to steal them. :disrelieved:

Reactions: murps

Drift

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midwest
First Name
DJ
Last Name
Drift
Member #

So what service do you guys use for this high tech scavenger hunt? Geochaching.com, Opencaching.us, etc.

I use Geocaching.com (DJ Drift on that site if you want to add me as a friend). I use to have an account on opencaching.com, but Garmin shut it down.

Anybody have any feedback on premium membership on Geocaching.com?

I just checked the log for the cache I couldn't find a while ago. It's been archived. R.I.P.
Time to go find another one.

Last edited:

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

So what service do you guys use for this high tech scavenger hunt? Geochaching.com, Opencaching.us, etc.

I use Geocaching.com (DJ Drift on that site if you want to add me as a friend). I use to have an account on opencaching.com, but Garmin shut it down.

Anybody have any feedback on premium membership on Geocaching.com?

I just checked the log for the cache I couldn't find a while ago. It's been archived. R.I.P.
Time to go find another one.
I've been using the free app on my android but thats only good as long as there is service for my phone. Looking at possibly getting a GPS unit that is partnered with geocaching but we will see.

Drift

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midwest
First Name
DJ
Last Name
Drift
Member #

@dmurph1996

c:geo is a really good app. That's what I use. It's way better than the official app. It does all of the following:

Main features:
- View caches on a Live Map
- Use Google Maps or OpenStreet Maps
- Search for caches by various criteria
- Log your finds online or offline
- Store cache information on your device
- Create and manage waypoints
- Navigate using compass, map, or other apps
- Import/Export GPX files
- Full support for trackables
- Offline caching functions including offline maps

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk