Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I've been wanting to get into geocaching. Don't really know where to start. I have an iPhone but no handheld gps. How does one start out? What's goal?

Sean S

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

California, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
S
I've been wanting to get into geocaching. Don't really know where to start. I have an iPhone but no handheld gps. How does one start out? What's goal?
An Iphone can certainly get you started. Iphones have come a long way over the years and are now quite accurate and can allow you to access the "live" geocaching.com website through an app, which can be downloaded. One of the benefits of using your Iphone is you get to see the current status of a geocache you may be looking for or access the photo gallery for a geocache, which can be helpful if you are a bit stuck and need a hint. For simple ease of use, I geocache with my Iphone if I just happen to be somewhere and have not programmed my Garmin GPS in advance.

All you need to do is go to geocaching.com and sign up for a free "basic" member account. It will allow you to get a feel for the sport. There are also a few short videos on that website, which will give you a better idea of what geocaching is all about.

Geocaching 101 Guide

Geocaching.com also have a Youtube channel with lots of really useful videos ranging from how-to's to documenting road trips, advenutres and hikes.

After a few adventures, you may decide to upgrade your account to a "premium" member status, which will give the ability to access all of the geocaching.com website and access certain, really handy, dandy features of the website. You will now be able to access and look for a lot more geocaches too.

Geocaching really appeals to everyone, from hikers, bikers, offroaders, city folk, puzzle solvers, adventurers, etc. There are now almost three million geocaches in the world. I have met so many great and awesome geocachers while out geocaching or attending geocache events.

KStPeter

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Colchester, Vermont
Member #

I tried getting into this a couple years back, checked a few spots only to find they had been stolen so I stopped. Recently installed the app on my phone just to check it out again, and after seeing this thread I kind of want to give it another go.

KCAT

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Pueblo, Colorado, United States
First Name
Scott
Last Name
King
Member #

Geocaching is awesome. Scobinott here checking in.

It's fun because you can do it anywhere. And it doesn't have to be an all day thing but then it can be and that is great!

Reactions: Overland 505

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

GC is ideal if you have members of the family who get a little "bored" when your out playing with the vehicle

Also a fun way to go and check places out,
I went round Antigua last year doing a few caches while I was out there for my sisters wedding

Kev

Anders0nic

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member
Supporter

Pathfinder I

Benicia, CA
First Name
Anderson
Last Name
Carlisle
Member #

I remember geocaching when it was in it's infancy. I worked at REI in college and handheld GPS units were just eeking their way into the civilian markets. My trusty pup and I travelled all over the Bay Area, uncovering caches of all shapes and sizes. I am not sure why I lost interest in this. Maybe I can use this as another gateway into better hiking experiences for my wife and I(she is not very outdoorsy).

Trail Wonky

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bellingham WA
Member #

Geocaching is cool because there is always one around. If someone gets bored or wants to do something, you can always grab a cache.

My wife and I tend to do it when we travel to places we have never been. It gets us to interesting out-of-the-way places that only the locals know about. A hidden waterfall, caves, interesting landmarks, those special local treasures. I can't tell you how many fantastic places we have been that we would have never known existed if it wasn't for Geocaching.

Anders0nic

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member
Supporter

Pathfinder I

Benicia, CA
First Name
Anderson
Last Name
Carlisle
Member #

Just downloaded the app on my iPhone. I'll play with this during the week and see how well the app compares to my old experiences of handheld GPS receiver.

New Geocaching handle is:
Anders0nic

Anders0nic

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member
Supporter

Pathfinder I

Benicia, CA
First Name
Anderson
Last Name
Carlisle
Member #

Great, the app is a "pay to play" type... I am not so sure it is worth paying the annual fee. Time will tell if I get more interested or not.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

Hey all, we have been members of Geocaching.com for quite some years now. it's brilliant for getting out and finding new areas. I've been to parts of where I live and didn't know existed due to Geocaching. it's completely free unless you want to upgrade to "Premium Member" I havent paid for the upgrade. I can also link Geocaching with Overlanding.. we recently went to Norway and achieved another 50 finds or so. Our next trip has been booked to Switzerland

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

You don't have to be a premium member to use it.

That was the point I was trying to make. I said it was completely free unless you want to pay to become "Premium member". Perhaps I wasnt clear enough in my original comment.

I'm just about to head off out to collect a few more caches with my two dogs.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

we've been Geocaching for a number of years. there are millions of caches around the world. the numbers are increasing daily by new created hides. we plan our trips around the potential number of cache's we can add to our "Found" list. personally you are better off with a proper GPS than the Geocaching App which is limited in its capabilities. Try Geocaching.com - it's free (unless you want to upgrade to Premium member)

4TrekR

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Atlanta GA
Member #

You all might be interested in a variant to geocaching - check out the Degree Confluence Project (www.confluence.org). A bit on the geeky side but fun and meshes nicely with overlanding. 0 33E was one of mine.....pretty cool day trip and not the easiest point to get to.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk