Geocaching

• HTML tutorial

Overland 505

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Member #

It's easy now. Back in the pre smart phone days not so much. Regular gps and a bunch of printed pages on the caches you were in search of.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

I don't use a smart phone. I have a proper hand held GPS. it's so easy to transfer Caches via USB cable. I'm starting to see more people who claim to visit Caches yet their signature isn't in the log. It's kinda sad that these people are cheating their "Found" figures by logging finds without going anywhere near the actual Caches.

Ah well at least I know my finds are genuine.

Reactions: Overland 505

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

I used to love Geocaching with my daughter when she was younger. I even bought the App. for my iPhone. We should start an OB Geocaching that's dedicated to Overlanding. Every time someone hits a trail, we should hid a Cach on a trail or at campsite. We can put OB stuff in it or other Overland items like patches, stickers and other items.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

I used to love Geocaching with my daughter when she was younger. I even bought the App. for my iPhone. We should start an OB Geocaching that's dedicated to Overlanding. Every time someone hits a trail, we should hid a Cach on a trail or at campsite. We can put OB stuff in it or other Overland items like patches, stickers and other items.
I agree, although I think OB should look into having a "trackable" coin. Then fellow cachers could track the item wherever it travels. The website could describe all that OB has to offer. My guess is that Geocachers are generally outdoor people so at the same time they might join OB.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

I agree, although I think OB should look into having a "trackable" coin. Then fellow cachers could track the item wherever it travels. The website could describe all that OB has to offer. My guess is that Geocachers are generally outdoor people so at the same time they might join OB.
How would I go about forwarding this idea on to the OB Head Honcho?

Obi-Juan

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern California - San Fernando Valley
First Name
John
Last Name
Lechuga
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JKL
@Michael

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
We also used to hunt for caches when all of our kids were younger. We have talking about getting back into it. I agree that having a section here for Geocachers and a site coin would be cool. Overlanding and Goecaching are closely related, and have so many of the same ideals behind them.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

just got back from geocaching. I hoped for 23 to take our total to 950 but I managed 24 so 951 is slightly better than expected. a great day out driving around Dartmoor in the thick fog .