Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

California, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
S
all seems to have gone quiet on the Geocaching front. how are all my fellow caches getting on? I'm almost at my first 1000 finds.
I think that I have found just over 200 finds this year but just two in the last month. A wetter than normal winter in California causing many of the locals parks to close combined with some sickness in the family have curtailed my geocaching adventures this year. I hope to resume my geocaching in the next month or so. I have lots of plans for high desert overlanding/geocaching!

Last edited:
Reactions: Overland 505

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

I think that I have found just over 200 finds this year but just two in the last month. A wetter than normal winter in California causing many of the locals parks to close combined with some sickness in the family have curtailed my geocaching adventures this year. I hope to resume my geocaching in the next month or so. I have lots of plans for high desert overlanding/geocaching!
do you use Geocaching.com or other site? what's your sum total of finds to date so far? have you had the opportunity to travel overseas to make any finds?

Reactions: Sean S

Sean S

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

California, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
S
do you use Geocaching.com or other site? what's your sum total of finds to date so far? have you had the opportunity to travel overseas to make any finds?
Yes, I use Geocaching.com for running pocket queries, planning geocaching/overlanding adventures, etc. I also use the Cachly app on my Iphone if I find myself somewhere unplanned and just want to find a cache or ten....:tonguewink: My geocaching name is KM6AQT, which is also my Ham callsign. I started geocaching in May 2009 and remained as a basic member for a few months before finally taking the plunge and upgrading to a premium membership. I wanted to give it a go for a while and see if I would like it. I did! So far, I have found 17,718 finds and have geocached in five countries: United States, Canada, Ireland, Iceland and the United Kingdom. I also wish that I had discovered the sport a lot earlier than I did as I visited quite a few countries in 2005 and 2006 as part of a round the world backpacking adventure. My favorite type of cache at the moment is an event cache. It's nice to meet up with fellow geocachers, catch up on news and plan future roadtrips together. You should be able to view my profile, statistics and maps here.

Last edited:

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

Yes, I use Geocaching.com for running pocket queries, planning geocaching/overlanding adventures, etc. I also use the Cachly app on my Iphone if I find myself somewhere unplanned and just want to find a cache or ten....:tonguewink: My geocaching name is KM6AQT, which is also my Ham callsign. I started geocaching in May 2009 and remained as a basic member for a few months before finally taking the plunge and upgrading to a premium membership. I wanted to give it a go for a while and see if I would like it. I did! So far, I have found 17,718 finds and have geocached in five countries: United States, Canada, Ireland, Iceland and the United Kingdom. I also wish that I had discovered the sport a lot earlier than I did as I visited quite a few countries in 2005 and 2006 as part of a round the world backpacking adventure. My favorite type of event at the moment is an event cache. It's nice to meet up with fellow geocachers, catch up on news and plan future roadtrips together. You should be able to view my profile, statistics and maps here.
Very impressive. I joined Geocaching.com back in 2004 but I never really did anything about it. It was only a couple of years ago that I actually started to go out and find caches. We have no where near as many finds as yourself but we're enjoying going out whenever we have a spare moment. I'm not sure we'll become Premium members as it seems am extra cost for no actual gain. It's not as if we will run out of caches to find.
We're yet to set up our own cache but we want to make it a good one. Here in the UK there are far too many unimaginative hides.
We've got a little trip to Switzerland booked soon and I already have a whole list of caches to find. We're looking forward to it.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

Hey all. I just wondered was people use as their device of choice for Geocaching. Do you use a specific hand held GPS or GPS compatible handset like a mobile phone? I don't want this to get into an argument like one in another forum. I am purely interested to find out what other Geocachers use as their device of choice. I'd be interested if there is a make / model which is more commonly used

Sean S

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

California, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
S
Very impressive. I joined Geocaching.com back in 2004 but I never really did anything about it. It was only a couple of years ago that I actually started to go out and find caches. We have no where near as many finds as yourself but we're enjoying going out whenever we have a spare moment. I'm not sure we'll become Premium members as it seems am extra cost for no actual gain. It's not as if we will run out of caches to find.
We're yet to set up our own cache but we want to make it a good one. Here in the UK there are far too many unimaginative hides.
We've got a little trip to Switzerland booked soon and I already have a whole list of caches to find. We're looking forward to it.
Best of luck with your trip to Switzerland. I can certainly sympathize with your thoughts on becoming a Premium member. Initially, I became a Premium member to financially support the operating costs of the Geocaching.com website, contribute to the community and sport of geocaching in addition to being able to utilize more advanced web-based tools to run pocket queries, find higher difficulty caches, publish caches of my own, log premium caches, etc. Over the years, my friends (who are also premium members) and I have debated the ongoing logic of this. The direction of the management of Groundspeak, the company who run Geocaching.com have changed over the years as the sport has grown in popularity. That is undeniable. Every time that Groundspeak comes out with a new set of rules to further regulate the sport, it really just seems to take away some enjoyment from the game without really adding to it. Despite the veracity of their PR spin machine, they rarely seek our input anymore and just seem to act unilaterally in their autocratic-style of decision making. Now, there are perhaps too many rules and future growth of the game is somewhat limited. Has Groundspeak grown too large and become disconnected from its grass roots members? Perhaps... I am still undecided. Some well-seasoned geocachers who I am friends with are now no longer active geocachers or have minimized their geocaching activities in recent years due to rule changes or bad interactions with Groundspeak, which is a pity. They published some really awesome and challenging caches over the years. Their volunteer work in the early 2000's paved the way for the development of the sport. Personally, I think that I will always geocache in one form or another and remain as a Premium member as it is still the only viable geocaching website out there. It has opened up the world to me in many amazing ways. I have made so many new friends because of it and have shared countless adventures with them. Groundspeak, as far as I am concerned is just another internet-based company, whose only real mission is to collect annual membership fees. I have decided to stay out of the politics and negativity of the sport and just enjoy myself in my many mis-adventures! :tonguewink: I just want to have fun and enjoy the comradery of this rather unique worldwide game. I am quite fortunate though. As my enthusiasm for geocaching has wained, I have now discovered the awesome community of overlanding and look forward to outfitting and exploring whilst finding a few geocaches along the way!!!

Sean S

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

California, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
S
Hey all. I just wondered was people use as their device of choice for Geocaching. Do you use a specific hand held GPS or GPS compatible handset like a mobile phone? I don't want this to get into an argument like one in another forum. I am purely interested to find out what other Geocachers use as their device of choice. I'd be interested if there is a make / model which is more commonly used
I use a Garmin Montana 680T as my primary GPS and use the brilliant Cachly app on my Iphone for the occasional, unplanned find. I am very impressed with both. :sunglasses:

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

Personally I use a Garmin GPS Map 62s. I bought it to replace my Garmin GPS Map 60 which became very temperamental with the use of its buttons and some of the features (including the compass)

I feel the updated model isn't quite as user friendly as my earlier GPS but that is purely my opinion. I hope no-one is offended by me making this comment.

A feature of Geocaching. Com which I used to enjoy but is no longer available was the "Challenges". Unfortunately it seems these weren't financially profitable for Groundspeak which concurs with the previous comment. They were therefore taken off the Geocaching. Com site.

Last edited:

Whiteknuckler

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine, Ca.
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6VBG
I have been a Geocacher since day one - I was allot of fun till people started placing caches under every leaf without any pupose

Reactions: Corbie

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

T
I have been a Geocacher since day one - I was allot of fun till people started placing caches under every leaf without any pupose
Its my biggest qualm about geocaching. I'm sick of being lead to dodgy alleyways or the back of disused industrial estates to find a cache. Bring back caches with a purpose. An awsome view, a historic place or somewhere of educational purpose. Come on geocachers let's have some imagination and a sense of purpose

Reactions: Corbie and ZetRocks

Trail Wonky

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bellingham WA
Member #

Same here! Now people are making graffiti by placing 200 caches in the middle of a lake that spell out their name. Or placing 30 caches along one trail. Now people want to not only have the most finds, but the most caches hidden. Then they don't get maintained. Just have to wade through the crap to figure out the good ones.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

Same here! Now people are making graffiti by placing 200 caches in the middle of a lake that spell out their name. Or placing 30 caches along one trail. Now people want to not only have the most finds, but the most caches hidden. Then they don't get maintained. Just have to wade through the crap to figure out the good ones.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I've noticed the increase in stupid pictures drawn up by caches in formation. In addition I've discovered so many caches where a little bit of tlc wouldn't go amiss. I mentioned it once to a cache owner who gave me grief in return for not being a responsible cache and doing something about it. I laughed at them.

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

I also geocache when I can
Always have a quick look to see if there is anything in the area I'm going to

It's handy that my Garmin 64s has preloaded some caches

20151110_183625-01.jpeg
Girlfriend and me at Fort Barrington on Antigua 2015

Sent from Mobile App

Sean S

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

California, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
S
I also geocache when I can
Always have a quick look to see if there is anything in the area I'm going to

It's handy that my Garmin 64s has preloaded some caches

View attachment 23407
Girlfriend and me at Fort Barrington on Antigua 2015

Sent from Mobile App
Cool photo! Finding a geocache or two while on vacation is always an aim of mine, especially if I am on vacation in a new country. I recently brought a new Garmin Montana 680T and found that it also had preloaded geocaches in it. I did find though that since the preloaded geocaches file was created a couple of years ago, some of the geocaches in my area had since been archived or many were now at new locations near by. Much of the information and recent log information were stale. I eventually just deleted the massive .GGZ file from the memory and now just run fresh pocket queries, which reflect up-to-date information about the caches that I might be looking for while out geocaching.
http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=321029

Best of luck with your geocaching this summer!

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

I was trying to figure out if there was a way of deleting the preloaded caches from my device that u have already founderway. It seems I am not able unless I delete each one individually.

Sean S

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

California, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
S
I was trying to figure out if there was a way of deleting the preloaded caches from my device that u have already founderway. It seems I am not able unless I delete each one individually.
Hi Keith, Yes, there is a way to delete all the preloaded caches from the memory of the GPS in one quick step. Originally, it was a great idea by Garmin to preload the newer GPS's with these caches to give people a good starting point but as time progresses, the information becomes stale and out-of-date. Also, having so many geocaches on the devices can effect boot-up times.
The link above will take you to a thread on how to delete these caches. Post #34 (Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:55 PM) deletes exactly what to do in order to successfully remove these caches. I recommend that you copy any files you plan to delete and place a copy on your computer somewhere in case you want to place them back on the GPS one day.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

Hi Keith, Yes, there is a way to delete all the preloaded caches from the memory of the GPS in one quick step. Originally, it was a great idea by Garmin to preload the newer GPS's with these caches to give people a good starting point but as time progresses, the information becomes stale and out-of-date. Also, having so many geocaches on the devices can effect boot-up times.
The link above will take you to a thread on how to delete these caches. Post #34 (Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:55 PM) deletes exactly what to do in order to successfully remove these caches. I recommend that you copy any files you plan to delete and place a copy on your computer somewhere in case you want to place them back on the GPS one day.
I think I was a little unclear with what I meant.
I'd like to delete the caches that I have already found from the preloaded ones in my device. If I could sychronise the device with Geocaching.com it would the delete any "dead" caches and hide the ones I have already found.