Geocaching

• HTML tutorial

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I've been using the Geocaching free app, haven't had a chance to go looking yet, but there a ton of them within walking distance of my house.

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
I've been using the free app on my android but thats only good as long as there is service for my phone. Looking at possibly getting a GPS unit that is partnered with geocaching but we will see.
Save any caches you want to work to the Offline List. This way, if you are out of service, like all of the rural caches I work, you have the cache data saved to your phone.

Reactions: murps and Drift

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

Save any caches you want to work to the Offline List. This way, if you are out of service, like all of the rural caches I work, you have the cache data saved to your phone.
and that is with the free version of the app? Very cool, i will do that next time!

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
and that is with the free version of the app? Very cool, i will do that next time!
Sorry, IIRC, you don't need a paid Premium online account. I do not remember if the free version of the Android app will allow saving for offline use. I have a free online account and paid for app, which allows me to save for offline.

Reactions: murps

Drift

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midwest
First Name
DJ
Last Name
Drift
Member #

Sorry, IIRC, you don't need a paid Premium online account. I do not remember if the free version of the Android app will allow saving for offline use. I have a free online account and paid for app, which allows me to save for offline.
C:geo is a free app on android that gives you all the premium features and displays premium caches for free. The GUI is not as pretty as the official app, but I think it's better overall.

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
My kids and I have been doing this for a while now, if anyone is interested, were mellowdave and hunterfamilyatx on the geocache app

Reactions: Veggie Man

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

We do a little geocaching now and then. i find that sometimes the geocaching website is the perfect place to look if we are trying to find a neat, or interesting destination to road trip to during the day, or even to locate geocaches along the way on a longer trip.

This one here, is by far my favorite geocache so far. I'm a bit of an old mine junkie and love to hike, and this one ticked off all the boxes and more:
http://coord.info/GC3VJR6

Reactions: OkieMountaineer

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
We tend to just work it into the rhythm. When were waiting on something, or were tired of driving, or whatever. BL there is almost always a cache nearby, so we just pick it up while were out and about.

OkieMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Marty
Last Name
AAAA
Member #

We do them here and there, it's a lot of fun and gets you out into nature. There's quite a few in my area which is even better!

T

TheBarefootFamily

Yep, search TheBarefootFamily, since my accident, I have not gone and done much but we try when and where we can.

ravenplague

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Santa Cruz, CA
Member #

I have found these out and about while camping or hiking by accident. I even found one in a super random old library book! the pages were cut out to fit a small box Kinda messed up but fun to find.

Bob

Rank III

Advocate II

I have been geocaching off and on for a few years now. But I prefer the ones hidden out in remote areas with the terrain difficulty fairly high. It's not my idea of fun to lift a skirt on a light pole in a walmart parking lot to find a geocache.

Reactions: JzzR83 and Drift

erinw.rrc

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Clara. CA
Member #

Geocaching is awesome... my brother and I did this together and we even tried to get a small PCB board from Southwest Michigan (where he lives) to Silicon Valley (where I live). Needless to say it's been over two years and it hasn't made it here yet and I haven't gotten any email updates on it whereabouts over a year. Boo. Oh well, it was a fun experiment all the same.

TexX14

Rank V
Launch Member

Creator III

Lufkin,TX
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Conrad
Member #

I like to Geocache. It can be very fun and even a little frustrating at times. It is fun to get out and explore areas and find the different caches while doing it.

E

expeditionnorth

I use my ham callsign AA1PR
I think me & the kids have 23 caches around the county
its a family thing here

Reactions: Sean S

Sean S

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

California, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
S
I love to geocache too. Originally, my geocaching name was a lot longer but it was taking way too long to log into Geocaching.com and sign the logbooks. About a year ago, I changed my geocaching name to a ham license name, which is my ham callsign. I tend to go geocaching most weekends and the jeep is the perfect vehicle for those hard to get to geocaches.

Last edited:
Reactions: expeditionnorth