Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

I think I was a little unclear with what I meant.
I'd like to delete the caches that I have already found from the preloaded ones in my device. If I could sychronise the device with Geocaching.com it would the delete any "dead" caches and hide the ones I have already found.
Yeah I had noticed when I had a quick look (as for a free mins I was confused) as to why there wasn't any login details asked for GC when it synced with basecamp on the laptop.. and that there is believe is the flaw..

As you quite rightly said, under normal app use it would to some extent ignore your found cache and show the others..

Doubt it will change unless someone had moded it somehow..

Sent from Mobile App

Sean S

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

California, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
S
I think I was a little unclear with what I meant.
I'd like to delete the caches that I have already found from the preloaded ones in my device. If I could sychronise the device with Geocaching.com it would the delete any "dead" caches and hide the ones I have already found.
GSAK is supposed to be compatible with both imports and exports of .GGZ files. I am not sure how familiar you are with GSAK but it could offer you a solution. It is excellent when dealing with cast quantities of data. You might be able to import your rather large preloaded .GGZ file from your GPS to a new database in GSAK, then manipulate the data i.e. run a macro to determine which ones are now archived, then another macro to determine, which ones have already been found by you.
http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=333215

To summarize as I tend to ramble a bit:
"Load the 250k pre-load GGZ into GSAK, cross reference with your own 'found it' database, then update for archived listings, and export back to your GPSr."
http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=340925

Given the huge numbers of caches in the average preloaded .GGZ file, this option may not be viable. The "refresh cache data" option has a limit of 6000 caches per day (10,000 if the light format is selected). It uses the same api call as "Get geocaches" and hence is bound by the same limits.
http://gsak.net/help/hs46010.htm
Eventually, you would be able to export this newly updated, slightly smaller .GGZ to your GPS.

Another option, which is so much easier and less time consuming is that you run different pocket queries for your area and any area you are likely to cache in your part of the UK, then import them all to the same database in GSAK, run minor macros to update critical data on an ongoing basis, add newly published caches, remove duplicate caches, update logs, update coordinates, etc. Every time you are going geocaching, you simply export this updated database as a GGZ file to your GPS. It sounds complicated but it is what a lot of geocachers do in my area. It works for them.

The preloaded .GGZ file contains only a select sample of caches from all over the world. When I looked at the version that was on my newly bought Garmin Montana 680T (date of preloaded GGZ creation: September 9, 2015), I noticed that it was only pre-programmed with cache information about a couple of caches in the Bay Area. Most of the data was very stale and too old to use or rely on. One or two of my older geocaches were even in the database. I had archived them last year and chuckled when I saw them on the screen. The preloaded GGZ file on certain new Garmins is a great idea but I think that it is only meant to get people more interested in geocaching. For many who are very new to the sport, the idea of the complicated process of running a pocket query or downloading geocaches straight to a GPS through a USB cable might be a bit daunting. I know that it was for me initially. At the time, I did not want to damage my GPS and found the user interface and terminology a bit too technical.

You could try reaching out for help from your local geocaching association/club or go to a few events where I am sure some geocachers who have faced the same issue will be there and be happy to share their knowledge and experiences.

I hope that this helps.

Reactions: Lead K9

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

GSAK is supposed to be compatible with both imports and exports of .GGZ files. I am not sure how familiar you are with GSAK but it could offer you a solution. It is excellent when dealing with cast quantities of data. You might be able to import your rather large preloaded .GGZ file from your GPS to a new database in GSAK, then manipulate the data i.e. run a macro to determine which ones are now archived, then another macro to determine, which ones have already been found by you.

"Load the 250k pre-load GGZ into GSAK, cross reference with your own 'found it' database, then update for archived listings, and export back to your GPSr."

Given the huge numbers of caches in the average preloaded .GGZ file, this option may not be viable. The "refresh cache data" option has a limit of 6000 caches per day (10,000 if the light format is selected). It uses the same api call as "Get geocaches" and hence is bound by the same limits.
Eventually, you would be able to export this newly updated, slightly smaller .GGZ to your GPS.

Another option, which is so much easier and less time consuming is that you run different pocket queries for your area and any area you are likely to cache in your part of the UK, then import them all to the same database in GSAK, run minor macros to update critical data on an ongoing basis, add newly published caches, remove duplicate caches, update logs, update coordinates, etc. Every time you are going geocaching, you simply export this updated database as a GGZ file to your GPS. It sounds complicated but it is what a lot of geocachers do in my area. It works for them.

The preloaded .GGZ file contains only a select sample of caches from all over the world. When I looked at the version that was on my newly bought Garmin Montana 680T (date of preloaded GGZ creation: September 9, 2015), I noticed that it was only pre-programmed with cache information about a couple of caches in the Bay Area. Most of the data was very stale and too old to use or rely on. One or two of my older geocaches were even in the database. I had archived them last year and chuckled when I saw them on the screen. The preloaded GGZ file on certain new Garmins is a great idea but I think that it is only meant to get people more interested in geocaching. For many who are very new to the sport, the idea of the complicated process of running a pocket query or downloading geocaches straight to a GPS through a USB cable might be a bit daunting. I know that it was for me initially. At the time, I did not want to damage my GPS and found the user interface and terminology a bit too technical.

You could try reaching out for help from your local geocaching association/club or go to a few events where I am sure some geocachers who have faced the same issue will be there and be happy to share their knowledge and experiences.

I hope that this helps.
WOW very comprehensive indeed. Thank you. I'll have to give it a try

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

I hope that this helps.
WOW very comprehensive indeed. Thank you. I'll have to give it a try
I just looked at the link to GSAK and in the first line I see a potential problem. it says that I must be a Premium Member in order to make full use.

Sean S

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

California, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
S
I just looked at the link to GSAK and in the first line I see a potential problem. it says that I must be a Premium Member in order to make full use.
A lot of geocachers start out as basic members. Over time as they get more involved and interested in the sport, they sometimes upgrade to take full advantage of the more advanced features offered by geocaching.com. I also became a premium member to support the development of the website and the growing technical needs of the community.

There might be other solutions out there but I cannot think of any. GSAK and the ability of running special pocket queries through the geocaching website makes sorting out the mounds of data relatively straightforward.

I will ask my friends if they know of a way to get around the limitations of being a basic member.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

A lot of geocachers start out as basic members. Over time as they get more involved and interested in the sport, they sometimes upgrade to take full advantage of the more advanced features offered by geocaching.com. I also became a premium member to support the development of the website and the growing technical needs of the community.

There might be other solutions out there but I cannot think of any. GSAK and the ability of running special pocket queries through the geocaching website makes sorting out the mounds of data relatively straightforward.

I will ask my friends if they know of a way to get around the limitations of being a basic member.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk
thanks for the info but currently I can't justify paying for Premium membership. I can understand if retired or unemployed people paid for the Premium status as they can devote more time to the hobby.

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

The Wifey and I geocached for a while, but just gradually got away from it somehow. We recently decided to start doing it again. We're going out tomorrow, in fact.

Reactions: Faneius

Lead K9

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

I try to get out with the kids, though we don't get out often enough. I let them guide the way so they can improve their navigation skills.

I just figured out how to add my badge here. :)

Reactions: Westsroadshow

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

Yeah, I've seen a couple of people here with that in their signatures. I didn't even know that was a thing before joining OB.

Corbie

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hey all. I just wondered was people use as their device of choice for Geocaching. Do you use a specific hand held GPS or GPS compatible handset like a mobile phone? I don't want this to get into an argument like one in another forum. I am purely interested to find out what other Geocachers use as their device of choice. I'd be interested if there is a make / model which is more commonly used

I use my iPhone with the geocaching app, and Cachly when I am in an urban environment. I will create a list and download them at home before setting out if I may not have cell service, if you download the maps your GPSr in the phone will still work even when not connected to cell service. I will use this when I travel out of the country, if I do not plan I buying a local prepaid. I also use a Garmin Oregon 450T, I can down load all of the geocaching info on that and access description, hints etc. I use that when I am going to be away from the car. that way I can save my phone battery foe emergencies. Remember, Always let someone know where you are going.

Reactions: Faneius

Corbie

Rank 0

Traveler I

I was trying to figure out if there was a way of deleting the preloaded caches from my device that u have already founderway. It seems I am not able unless I delete each one individually.
You should be able to hook your GPSr up to your computer and replace the GPX file with what you want loaded. I’m not sure what kind of GPSr you have, but that should work. Since my phone updates instantly and my GPSr only when I feel I need to, Monthly maybe longer, and I don’t always have my GPSr with me, but my phone almost always.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

You should be able to hook your GPSr up to your computer and replace the GPX file with what you want loaded. I’m not sure what kind of GPSr you have, but that should work. Since my phone updates instantly and my GPSr only when I feel I need to, Monthly maybe longer, and I don’t always have my GPSr with me, but my phone almost always.
Thanks for your comment but my point was sonewhat different. My GPS came with a few hubdred thousand preloaded caches. I was asking if there was a way of removing the caches that I have already found. In addition there are many caches which no longer exist and have been archived. So to sumarise I wondered if I could syncronise my GPS with my geocaching site of choice?

Sean S

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

California, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
S
I just started using Cacly a bit ago, thanks for the video link
You are welcome! I have now been using Cachly for a few months now and still find it amazing to use. I was also just introduced to another app for in-the-field logging of trackables. It's really cool too! The app is called TBScan and allows you to log individual or multiple trackables at the same time in real time. Another feature is that it uses the camera of your iPhone to scan the trackable code for you. It also lets you know in real time if you have already discovered the trackable. The initial app is free but you are limited to discovering or logging up to five? trackables at a time. For $2.99, that restriction is removed as part of the optional upgrade to the "Pro" version. The free version works perfectly well though. It will just take you a few more seconds to easily log i.e. ten trackables. You can also choose to type in the codes manually if you wish, especially on some trackables where the code is almost unreadable with the naked eye. You can try different variations of the code and the app will tell you in real time if it is the right one. It is perfect for attending events where large numbers of trackables will be. I can now easily scan them all, log them and then continue on chatting fellow geocachers. No more writing down codes or taking pictures on my iPhone for later discovering or logging. Apps have come a long way! I highly rate both apps.

Reactions: Roxxie