Gear You Can't Live Without

• HTML tutorial

Sawdoff

Rank 0

Traveler I

I have started building my Overland Rig, I got a set of all weather tires and now am starting to acquire gear little by little. Is there a few pieces of gear you can't live without or really would like to have? I am pretty much starting from scratch so any suggestions would be welcome.

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
1) Tool kit specific to your vehicle and complete with fuses, electrical tape, duct tape, and WD-40.
2) Water. The amount is up to you but I like 10 gallons personally.
3) fire kit with multiple ignition sources.
4) first aid kit. You have to determine the extent of this for yourself.
5) a couple days worth of food.
6) rain gear
7) cold weather gear

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Air compressor, airing down will do wonders for you.
x2 on this. It makes your tires less susceptible to puncture as it'll flex more over objects. It also provides more traction, as well as soaks up bumps a whole lot better. I have a viair 88p and it's the best bang for the buck compressor you can get. I can fill up my 33" tires in about 10 min from 15 psi to 35 psi.

Reactions: LuxuryOverland

Hiluxoverland

Rank III

Advocate II

GPS, Map and Compass, Water goes fast Food goes slow but more is always better. CB/comms, Small arms?, good fixed blade knife. Paper, Pen/Pencil, First Aid, Flash light, Extra socks, Wool blanket, Emergency blanket, Water proof matches, Tinder, Magnesium stick/flint, Tire patch kit, Air compressor, Tool kit, Electrical repair kit. Keep in mind all the tools on the planet won't help you when you need a replacement part and don't have it. Depending on the vehicle you might want to carry a few spare u-joints, starter, alternator, yoke and axle shafts. Enough oil for an oil change and oil filter. Spare rad hose and spare bolts for u-joint straps and so on. I suppose what you carry depends on the distance, duration and isolation of your getaway. Im not saying always be packed for a 5 day trip off the beaten path, but better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

buckwilk

Rank IV

Advocate II

yuma, az
I think the best thing to do in your position is to hit the trails, camp, enjoy the outdoors the way you want. Each trip will educate you as to what you will want or need. Try not to get caught up in what forum folks tell you you can't live without.

Reactions: Road and Thelgord

LuxuryOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Steele
Member #

Where is a good source for a great quality Woobie?! I don't want to get ripped off!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

https://store.kifaru.net/woobie-p72.aspx
I do not own a woobie but I have researched them. Kifaru is a good one. I am not affiliated.
I recently bought a Kifaru and it is by far the best woobie I own, but it is pricey. I have always had several and last year I bought a more standard version that is much cheaper and still great quality.