Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
True, but the Coleman canopy didn’t have a floor or mosquito walls and took more people than I ever have to setup. I think this will provide shelter from rain and sun which is the important part.
That's the whole point. It will do what you want it to do, and do it better than what you already have. I too want the G5 as I would use it for day time use only most of the time, and trusting that I can sleep in it (along with others) if I want (on cots the only way to go). I like the idea that it is a screened shelter as well because I hate mosquitos, and hot muggy nights.

Reactions: dziner

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I ordered one at expo, with 2 sets of walls. They had a show special going on.
The 2-pack walls were sold out. I ordered a 3-pack and hope it will be enough if needed (minus the door and 1 side). But it’s replacing a popup canopy with no walls so it’s still ahead of the game in that regard.

hidesertwheelin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

High Desert, So Cal
Member #

The 2-pack walls were sold out. I ordered a 3-pack and hope it will be enough if needed (minus the door and 1 side). But it’s replacing a popup canopy with no walls so it’s still ahead of the game in that regard.
The guy at the both said I would need 2 of the 3-packs to cover the whole thing, so that is what I ordered.

JersT4R

Rank V
Investor

Traveler III

Norfolk, VA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Bailey
Member #

I use this:

The great thing about the Gazelle is that you don't even need to use the dust pan. I just un-velcro one of the sides and brush the dirt straight out.
Sorry, how do you clean the walls and rain fly of the Gazelle... my question wasn’t very clear.

Thanks!

Shamu

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo, New Mexico
First Name
John
Last Name
Markle
Member #

First trip with my Gazelle T3 and TJ to the Canyonlands NP Maze District. The T3 fit easily inside the Jeep and on the tire carrier (to help dry, we over-achieved wet weather camping qualifications during this trip). The T3s (both mine and my brother’s - he is also an OB member) easily weathered thunderstorm downpours/downdrafts, rain, sleet/hail, and high winds (we encountered all of those at The Neck campsite the first night. The tents remained dry & comfortable. My bud joined us on this trip (now hooked with overlanding) with his old backpacking tent. After climbing in & out with the accompanying winds/rain/mud, declared his near-future Gazelle acquisition.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
First trip with my Gazelle T3 and TJ to the Canyonlands NP Maze District. The T3 fit easily inside the Jeep and on the tire carrier (to help dry, we over-achieved wet weather camping qualifications during this trip).
After watching a youtube video on the Gazelle G5 - I have decided that the G3 or G4 is a better choice for a shelter. The video guy said the screening on the G5 is too dense to allow air flow and was so hot he only used it for storage in temperatures above 70* F. Cold weather camping was okay. The video guy only commented on this G5 after one year of use. The only thing I am concerned about is that the G3 and G4 probably have the same type screening. He also said the G5 roof let in too much heat because of it's transparency. He would probable have liked it better if he was mountain or high desert camping instead of Florida beach camping. If it's cool already you don't need too much breeze to make it comfortable. He mentioned one other thing that I never would have thought of. He said the inside filled with June bugs because they come for being grubs in cold weather and come out of the ground on warm weather nights. Who would think ?
He should have put a rug down, me thinks !! NICE PICTURES SHAMU !

Shamu

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo, New Mexico
First Name
John
Last Name
Markle
Member #

After watching a youtube video on the Gazelle G5 - I have decided that the G3 or G4 is a better choice for a shelter. The video guy said the screening on the G5 is too dense to allow air flow and was so hot he only used it for storage in temperatures above 70* F. Cold weather camping was okay. The video guy only commented on this G5 after one year of use. The only thing I am concerned about is that the G3 and G4 probably have the same type screening. He also said the G5 roof let in too much heat because of it's transparency. He would probable have liked it better if he was mountain or high desert camping instead of Florida beach camping. If it's cool already you don't need too much breeze to make it comfortable. He mentioned one other thing that I never would have thought of. He said the inside filled with June bugs because they come for being grubs in cold weather and come out of the ground on warm weather nights. Who would think ?
He should have put a rug down, me thinks !! NICE PICTURES SHAMU !
Thank you!

I have a Clam Traveler, small 4-sided screen shelter, for those campsites with bonus gnats and calm air. It’s relatively small pack size allows it to fit inside my Jeep TJ next to my Gazelle T3.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Thank you!

I have a Clam Traveler, small 4-sided screen shelter, for those campsites with bonus gnats and calm air. It’s relatively small pack size allows it to fit inside my Jeep TJ next to my Gazelle T3.
Two things, I looked up your clam traveler and I think it fits the need for a single guy like me. 6'x6' with 6'-10" head room is perfect. I wish they made an 8x8 but they don't. Second, as I was going through eBay I noticed they are selling a four sided tent that fits inside your 10x10 canopy for only $88 in case you are interested. I found it when I was looking at the Gazelles for sell like yours.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
First trip with my Gazelle T3 and TJ to the Canyonlands NP Maze District. The T3 fit easily inside the Jeep and on the tire carrier (to help dry, we over-achieved wet weather camping qualifications during this trip). The T3s (both mine and my brother’s - he is also an OB member) easily weathered thunderstorm downpours/downdrafts, rain, sleet/hail, and high winds (we encountered all of those at The Neck campsite the first night. The tents remained dry & comfortable. My bud joined us on this trip (now hooked with overlanding) with his old backpacking tent. After climbing in & out with the accompanying winds/rain/mud, declared his near-future Gazelle acquisition.
Hey Shamu, I just noticed that we are almost neighbors. At least we are in the same state. Maybe we can get together some time.

12C20

Rank V
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic II

South Jordan, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Ellis
Member #

Wait wait wait, 5'-10" people will have to stoop over even in the center of a T3 Gazelle tent. Here are the specs for a T3.

About This Item
We aim to show you accurate product information. Manufacturers, suppliers and others provide what you see here, and we have not verified it. See our disclaimer
Getting out into nature gets you away from the complexities and hassles of life, so why would you keep putting up with a difficult tent set up? Make your next camping trip simple with the Gazelle Tents T3 Pop Up Hub 3 Person Outdoor Camping Tent. This 3 person pop up tent can be set up quickly and easily by 1 person in just 90 seconds, whether that be in the woods or in your own backyard. Even better, its lightweight design makes it easy to pack to and from your campsite with the included carry bag. Large enough to sleep 3 with 40 square feet of floor space and 68 inches of head room, this large pop up tent is ideal for small family camping trips. This tent features 2 zippered doors and 6 tightly woven mesh windows, plus it comes with a removable floor so you can easily shake out sand and other dirt that gets tracked in.

My math say's 68" is 5'-8" and that is at the center, not the edges. Go with a T4 if you want to stand up.
But if you set it up over a HOLE...!

Retinens803

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Carolina, USA
First Name
CJC
Last Name
CJC
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4BMJ
Depends on how hot it is outside! It definitely doesn’t have the ventilation that a kingdom 6 has

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Anyone that has one of these how HOT are they? I need a tent with lots of ventilation and that allows what little wind there may be to flow through and move hot air / humidity out.
According to a guy from Florida on YouTube the Gazelle or Clam will not let enough air flow in hot weather like he has in Florida. In this case probably the cheapest made will serve you better because the screen probably has larger openings than a Gazelle. He stated the the standard Gazelle G3- G4 was cooler than the G5 that is fully screened.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
@MiamiC70 the gazelle hub tent is not meant for Florida unless you live in the panhandle and it is winter.
Thank you, I thought so. A tent is hot anywhere the temp is above 80 degrees and the humidity is above 30 percent. What can one do to get out of the sun and avoid the insects in places that have high humidity and lots of sun ? Don't go there !! That includes all gulf and eastern states (in my opinion.)