Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I guess that dream has been dashed because 80 degrees w/ 30% humidity in S. FL is also a pipe dream.
I know, I was stationed in Biloxi Miss in 1953. I had the "A" shift at school. I got up at 3:00 am, showered, and walked out the door. A block down the street I was already soaking wet from sweat. My freshly starched and ironed Kaki uniform looked like it just came out of the washing machine. For a boy raised in the deserts of west Texas- New Mexico it was almost like a death sentence.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ha, 3.5 hours is practically in the neighborhood for NM.
Cloudcroft is one of my favorite places. Not very friendly to tourist but they love your money. Several nice state parks N of Alamo but I prefer higher places with trees and wilderness.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Utilityman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque NM
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Raether
Member #

The 5 of us are headed out next weekend with the T4 (3 kiddos and 2 adults. We fit just fine btw). I’ve got the stock bars on my 5th gen 4Runner with maxtrax pins mounted. There’s room on either side of the maxtrax for the tent. I definitely plan on mounting next to one side of the pins for stability.

My question is: What straps are people using to mount the tent to the roof for transport I’ve got some ratchet straps but there has to be a better option.

SandlapperOverland

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Charleston, SC
First Name
Jon
Last Name
T
Member #

I'm moving up from the T3 to the T4 or T4 Plus for a cross country trip next summer with the family. Outside of a rooftop box like a Thule or Yakima, how is everyone transporting the larger tents on roof racks?

I'm skeptical of just tossing the tent in the bag on the roof since the "reinforced waterproof" roof top cargo bag we used two years ago was shredded 900 miles into our 3,800 mile trip.

I'm thinking of either buying a second bag from Gazelle or just wrapping it in a tarp.

Reactions: RevIza

Retinens803

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Carolina, USA
First Name
CJC
Last Name
CJC
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4BMJ
Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I would recommend it, but not for a hot weather tent unless you have a fan. I wouldn’t pay full price either. We ended up catching a heck of a deal from Gazelles website. We paid 227.99.

In my inspection I didn’t find the quality to be top notch. Oh the tent is not completely sealed. Meaning that bugs can get in.
That's odd Michael at OB highly recommends the G3-G4 and have a YouTube video saying that the quality is excellent. Maybe you should let him know, there was a recent discount to OB members to buy the Gazelle tent. Maybe you can get a replacement or something. I'm going to give Michael's video a second look.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I would recommend it, but not for a hot weather tent unless you have a fan. I wouldn’t pay full price either. We ended up catching a heck of a deal from Gazelles website. We paid 227.99.

In my inspection I didn’t find the quality to be top notch. Oh the tent is not completely sealed. Meaning that bugs can get in.
OB store recommends this t4 tent and is currently selling it for $249. I would tell them about the quality of the tent you received and see if maybe Gazelle will replace it or repair it if it has a flaw. I don't know why there is a price difference unless OB is making a little on the sales through OB. Based on what I've seen I think the t4 is the best buy in tents that I have found. I still lean toward the t5 because all my camping will be above 6000 ft altitude. I wish it came with a floor but it does come as a fully screened unit with another full cover for the walls for cold weather. On the other hand having the waterproof floor would be helpful with ground crawling bugs and snakes.

91B/91S

I was just on the Gazelle Tent website and I do not see a reference to A T5 tent. Is this a new product?

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I was just on the Gazelle Tent website and I do not see a reference to A T5 tent. Is this a new product?
I don't think so. It's just not as well known as a G3 or G4 tent. It's more like an outdoor living room of sorts. I'd still use it as a tent though and just throw a carpet on the ground inside.

Reactions: Retinens803

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
The 5 of us are headed out next weekend with the T4 (3 kiddos and 2 adults. We fit just fine btw). I’ve got the stock bars on my 5th gen 4Runner with maxtrax pins mounted. There’s room on either side of the maxtrax for the tent. I definitely plan on mounting next to one side of the pins for stability.

My question is: What straps are people using to mount the tent to the roof for transport I’ve got some ratchet straps but there has to be a better option.
Maybe paracord ???

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Good call, I am going to see what I can do. One of these days us NM folks are going to have to meet up somewhere off grid.
I agree. When I get out I don't have any specific place to go so I just wander here and there. That's because I haven't had anyone to trip with. I see OB people in my area all the time, even stopped a few to chew the fat. I don't get too far off the beaten path because I am alone. I'm not that brave any more and walking any distance is out of the question if I break down. I tell my daughter that if I don't come back in three days I 'm probably dead somewhere out there in the woods.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I'm thinking he meant G5 due to the open floor comments
That is correct. I was talking about the G5 floorless tent. Sorry about the confusion but someone else was talking about a t3-t4 unit and I got confused. Sorry , and thank you for correcting my mistake.

OldColt

Rank 0

Contributor I

I have a G6 and use it are a gazebo/storage area when camping, I've also used it as a rain shelter for a 3 person tent. It sets up just like the tents using the hub system, except for the main entry which has straight poles you slip onto pockets. I use an RV patio mat I got from Wal-mart as a floor under the gazebo. I did upgrade the stakes it comes with from the flimsy metal wires to some proper tent pegs, but I do that with all my camping gear.