Founder 500

Traveler III

San Diego, San Diego County, California, United States
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Ross
Member #

What are people using as a footprint for these tents? I ALWAYS place something under my tent when setting it up. Every tent I've owned in the last 15 years has had a footprint designed to fit exactly under each tent. My North Face tent footprint actually attaches to the poles which helps keep it in place.

Each time I used the T3, I placed a large tarp folded up under the tent. But it's kind of a pain to get it folded to fit properly.
I like to use Tyvek. Same material used to wrap houses or ship many packages (think Fedex large envelopes). They don’t allow water thru, are very durable and easy to clean. At times I’ve put grommets in the corners and staked it out. I do recommend putting it in a clothes dryer when it’s new with tennis balls or something similar and get the stiffness out. Otherwise the first dozen times you use it it will make noise with every step.

You can buy custom sizes on eBay.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
I like to use Tyvek. Same material used to wrap houses or ship many packages (think Fedex large envelopes). They don’t allow water thru, are very durable and easy to clean. At times I’ve put grommets in the corners and staked it out. I do recommend putting it in a clothes dryer when it’s new with tennis balls or something similar and get the stiffness out. Otherwise the first dozen times you use it it will make noise with every step.

You can buy custom sizes on eBay.
Great tip about putting it in the dryer.

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

What are people using as a footprint for these tents? I ALWAYS place something under my tent when setting it up. Every tent I've owned in the last 15 years has had a footprint designed to fit exactly under each tent. My North Face tent footprint actually attaches to the poles which helps keep it in place.

Each time I used the T3, I placed a large tarp folded up under the tent. But it's kind of a pain to get it folded to fit properly.
As others, I just use an inexpensive tarp I picked up on Amazon (AmazonBasics Camping Tarp). Got it on sale for $8 and it is nearly the exact size of my T4.

Reactions: dziner

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

As others, I just use an inexpensive tarp I picked up on Amazon (AmazonBasics Camping Tarp). Got it on sale for $8 and it is nearly the exact size of my T4.

Oh my. The last photo on Amazon of that tarp shows exactly what NOT to do when putting a tarp under your tent. The edges of the tarp should NOT stick out past the tent. If it rains, the tarp will catch that rain and send it directly under your tent. That's the last place you want water.

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

Oh my. The last photo on Amazon of that tarp shows exactly what NOT to do when putting a tarp under your tent. The edges of the tarp should NOT stick out past the tent. If it rains, the tarp will catch that rain and send it directly under your tent. That's the last place you want water.
This is correct and good info. I looked at that link and could not find one of that brand that was 7.5x7.5 for the exact reason you mentioned. The ground cloth must be slightly smaller than the tent floor otherwise it will funnel and pool water between the tent and the ground cloth. I have a Gazelle T4 and went with this for my ground cloth. It's 82"x82" or just under 7'x7' so it will be perfect.

BlueRidge150

Rank I

Contributor III

Greer, SC
This is correct and good info. I looked at that link and could not find one of that brand that was 7.5x7.5 for the exact reason you mentioned. The ground cloth must be slightly smaller than the tent floor otherwise it will funnel and pool water between the tent and the ground cloth. I have a Gazelle T4 and went with this for my ground cloth. It's 82"x82" or just under 7'x7' so it will be perfect.

Have you used the ground ground tarp yet under it? I thought the size was longer and wider than 7ft. I think its 90+ inches almost 8 ft.

Thanks

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Have you used the ground ground tarp yet under it? I thought the size was longer and wider than 7ft. I think its 90+ inches almost 8 ft.

Thanks
The T4 is 94"x94". Using that 82"x82" tarp will mean the tent extends beyond the tarp by 6" on all sides, which is perfect. A few inches of overhang (the tent being slightly bigger than the footprint) is exactly what you want, for the reasons already mentioned by some other folks.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
That is perfect. Adding to my cart right now. :blush:

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

The T4 is 94"x94". Using that 82"x82" tarp will mean the tent extends beyond the tarp by 6" on all sides, which is perfect. A few inches of overhang (the tent being slightly bigger than the footprint) is exactly what you want, for the reasons already mentioned by some other folks.
That's what I came up with using all my maths! Glad to help. :sunglasses:

JersT4R

Rank V
Investor

Traveler III

Norfolk, VA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Bailey
Member #

What do you all use to clean your tents?

Also, what’s the name of the 7’x7’ tarp you used? I can’t get the links to work.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
What do you all use to clean your tents?

Also, what’s the name of the 7’x7’ tarp you used? I can’t get the links to work.
I use this:

The great thing about the Gazelle is that you don't even need to use the dust pan. I just un-velcro one of the sides and brush the dirt straight out.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
View attachment 98651
Thought id share. The sale if anyone is considering these awesome tents.
Great price for the T3 tent but if your anywhere near 6' (72") tall you better wait for T4 sale. Michael has a great video about the Gazell tent. I suggest you people watch it. He pretty much covers everything in his video .

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I purchased a Hub 3 and used it on a recent trip to SE Utah. Tte tent is as advertised, well constructed, sets up and comes down easily. From what I can see great construction and at 5'10" I can stand upright in it. Should last a long time with care. Only downsides as metioned by others, it is heavy and large, not a backpacking tent and because of the X frame construction, the entry / exit doors are small for tents this size.

View attachment 95430
Wait wait wait, 5'-10" people will have to stoop over even in the center of a T3 Gazelle tent. Here are the specs for a T3.

About This Item
We aim to show you accurate product information. Manufacturers, suppliers and others provide what you see here, and we have not verified it. See our disclaimer
Getting out into nature gets you away from the complexities and hassles of life, so why would you keep putting up with a difficult tent set up? Make your next camping trip simple with the Gazelle Tents T3 Pop Up Hub 3 Person Outdoor Camping Tent. This 3 person pop up tent can be set up quickly and easily by 1 person in just 90 seconds, whether that be in the woods or in your own backyard. Even better, its lightweight design makes it easy to pack to and from your campsite with the included carry bag. Large enough to sleep 3 with 40 square feet of floor space and 68 inches of head room, this large pop up tent is ideal for small family camping trips. This tent features 2 zippered doors and 6 tightly woven mesh windows, plus it comes with a removable floor so you can easily shake out sand and other dirt that gets tracked in.

My math say's 68" is 5'-8" and that is at the center, not the edges. Go with a T4 if you want to stand up.

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I just ordered the G5 gazebo this weekend to use for some outdoor shelter. I don’t want an awning attached to my vehicle. This will replace the Coleman 10x10 popup canopy that takes 4 people to setup.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I just ordered the G5 gazebo this weekend to use for some outdoor shelter. I don’t want an awning attached to my vehicle. This will replace the Coleman 10x10 popup canopy that takes 4 people to setup.
Good choice , very versatile, the down side is it doesn't have a floor and it wont go up in 90 seconds like a T4. You can throw down a 8x8 carpet but it's not waterproof and wont keep the varmints out.

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Good choice , very versatile, the down side is it doesn't have a floor and it wont go up in 90 seconds like a T4. You can throw down a 8x8 carpet but it's not waterproof and wont keep the varmints out.
True, but the Coleman canopy didn’t have a floor or mosquito walls and took more people than I ever have to setup. I think this will provide shelter from rain and sun which is the important part.